Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install BarkBusters handgaurds on their SCR? I just bought a Yamaha SCR and want to put some needed items on it. I love having hand guards on my motorcycles. They are such useful items and not only protect my hands but keep then dry and warm during rough riding in bad weather. I could not find any company that sells hand guards specially for the SCR950. Any ideas?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Has anyone tried to install BarkBusters handgaurds on their SCR? I just bought a Yamaha SCR and want to put some needed items on it. I love having hand guards on my motorcycles. They are such useful items and not only protect my hands but keep then dry and warm during rough riding in bad weather. I could not find any company that sells hand guards specially for the SCR950. Any ideas?
Do a search of my posts for Power Madd hand guards. They are not the wrap around style like the Bark Busters, but they are very good quality for the street. I especially like the heavy duty mount. Good luck! Jevers

·
Registered
717 Posts
Found it, this may be the ticket. It looks like these would fill my needs perfectly. Thank YOU!
You're welcome. In hindsight, I probably should have slid the front brake lever/switch pod assembly 1/2" up the bar to make room for the mount. Instead, I cut the mirror perch in half, thus keeping everything in the stock position. Oh well.
Good luck and post pics when you git er dun! Jevers

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got the Barkbusters Storm bar-end-mounted guards. It sucks drilling and tapping holes in the slugs that Yamaha put in the stock bars. Once that's done, though, the guards have not disappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have bark busters

To repeat what was stated above. It's going to be a bear drillings into the handle bar ends. Took a while and a bunch of cursing but well worth it. I actually go into woods with my bike ....so one saved hand crunch and it has paid for the time and aggravation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the Barkbusters Storm bar-end-mounted guards. It sucks drilling and tapping holes in the slugs that Yamaha put in the stock bars. Once that's done, though, the guards have not disappointed.

can you send some photos, I was thinking about putting in bar end weights but that metal tacked in tab in the bars is a pain. I didn't know if I could break the weld with a punch or had to drill. thoughts? plus its not threaded so that's also a paid right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't have photos of the job, but it's not an especially complex one. I only needed a box cutter, a punch and hammer, a cordless drill, and the appropriate tap. First I cut a circular piece out of the ends of each of the rubber grips with the box cutter to expose the metal underneath. Then I punched the centers, drilled through the slugs, and (very patiently) tapped them by hand. I didn't even take the handlebars off the bike, I did it right out in front of the house.

·
Registered
884 Posts
can you send some photos, I was thinking about putting in bar end weights but that metal tacked in tab in the bars is a pain. I didn't know if I could break the weld with a punch or had to drill. thoughts? plus its not threaded so that's also a paid right?
I got a 1/4X28 drill and tap combo from Home depot to install a set of old SV650 bar end weights I had. The metric SV bolts wouldn't work, so while I was there, I picked up a pair of stainless steel 1/4X28 thread bolts to match.
Using a smaller drill bit to make a pilot hole plus a corded drill vs. battery-powered one helped.

Oh! Before I started the right side, I taped a sheet of plastic over the side of the bike to keep the drillings from finding their way down into the bike and rusting.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Realize I’m late to reply to this post....but in case anyone was wondering, yes indeed the Barkbusters Single Point Mount for 22mm or 7/8 in. bars do indeed work! Part number is BB.S1.BK for the black plastic hand guards. The kit is nice, comes with the clamps and all hardware normally around $108. I got lucky and found one on AMZN with damaged packaging for $41...

The directions on the package only showed assembly instructions, and at first I went to move my master cylinder and clutch lever clamp inboard to mount the aluminum bracket clamp part, I even wound up trial fitting them this way, but something didn’t look right, they stuck out about three inches past the end of the grips on each side (not good for lane splitting.)

After a little T/E, I realized these hand guards clamps are very low-profile, and that there was ample space to feed the forward facing half of the bar clamp in-between the master cylinder reservoir and handle bar.

The rest was pretty much a straight plug and play, with adjustment and realignment of my unfastened clutch and m/cylinder of course. I suggest assembling the plastic deflector parts before final mounting.

Mount the aluminum clamp arms first, then use an 8mm wrench and phillips-head screw driver (the tight pattern one - not sure which size that is), to connect the black plastic deflector part onto the aluminum arms.

Anyways, just thought I’d share about a part out there that does fit these machines with little fuss...hope everyone is doing well, and having as much fun as possible. Peace - thumps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts