Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. While I haven't gotten a SCR950 yet, I've been reading about this bike since it came out and hoping that they'd be popular and Yamaha would sell bunches of these bikes. Well apparently not. :frown2:

I'm currently riding a 1997 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II, basically an sporty standard 600cc 4 cyl air cooled bike with a fairing. I bought it back in Jan 2014 with 13k miles on it and pretty much ride it every day to work in Cape Girardeau, MO. I've now got over 89k miles on it. So I'm slowly looking for a bike to eventually replace it, I'd prefer something affordable with good mpg, big fuel tank, enough power, and a big alternator/stator. Seems like this bike checks at least some of those options.

A dealership not too far away, Big St. Charles Motorsports keeps sending me emails trying hard to sell me of these SCR950s. I've even found a used one not too far away for less than Big St. Charles wants for a new one, so I'm thinking pretty hard about that.

I've been reading ChopperCharles's posts over on advrider about his bike and his ongoing modifications, opinions, etc. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Welcome, and GOOD LORD man, run, don't walk over to Big St. Charles and git yerself a BRAND NEW one for $3757+tax! You really can't go wrong with buying one of these, especially at that price. I bought mine in April of last year for $4995+tax and at that time it was a great price. I have no regrets whatsoever and this is the 29th bike I have owned. Good luck! Jevers

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree, considering the new one there is so inexpensive, it just makes sense not to save maybe 500, or even 1000 bucks for a new one.

It will be a difference from what you're riding now, but you will love it. I get folks all the time walking up and asking me about it, has great appeal to all types.

·
Registered
85 Posts
UPDATE... Big St. Charles is sold out of the SCR950s. You can get on a waiting/wish list by calling them. Jevers
At the price you guys are able to buy them I'm not surprised 👍

So many bikers look at mine and ask if I've customer it and they're all surprised when I tell them that's how it came from the factory (minus my mods that is 😁)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, from what I understand they got an outstanding deal from Yamaha on these, bought a ton of them, and proceeded to sell them at a greatly reduced price from retail. I'm sure they still made money on them, don't know how much of course.

Reactions: SCRBen

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just emailed one of the dealers through cycletrader. We'll see if they answer. Nobody seems to when I have requested quotes through the dealer websites.

Why even have a "request quote" if you never answer?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just emailed one of the dealers through cycletrader. We'll see if they answer. Nobody seems to when I have requested quotes through the dealer websites.

Why even have a "request quote" if you never answer?
You know how you have that email sitting in your inbox right now that you've been meaning to respond to but there have been other priorities for weeks/months/years? Just call them!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Under 5k for a brand new 950cc bike? Is still say that's an excellent deal, and would be nothing to feel 'cheated' over. Sure, you can wait, and take a chance of picking one up for $750 or so less, but you also run the risk of the sources drying up.

MSRP is $8700, so you're basically still getting it for half-price or less.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you choose a seller wisely, you can avoid paying tax in the state you buy it in. That might save some too.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you choose a seller wisely, you can avoid paying tax in the state you buy it in. That might save some too.

The laws vary from state to state as far as who collects the tax. Yes, you might get by leaving the out of state dealer with just the MSO and without paying taxes, BUT, when you go to register your new bike in your home state, you WILL pay the tax then. I've done it twice. Jevers

·
Registered
67 Posts
State sales tax in PA where I purchased mine is 6%, plus a local tax of 2%, so total was 8%.

I live in VA, which is a straight 4%.

All I paid at the dealer was a destination charge, no other fees were added, all the shops around me wanted in the 350-650 range for prep & handling, on top of the destination charge.

It can be worth shopping across state lines, all I was trying to point out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Under 5k for a brand new 950cc bike? Is still say that's an excellent deal, and would be nothing to feel 'cheated' over. Sure, you can wait, and take a chance of picking one up for $750 or so less, but you also run the risk of the sources drying up.

MSRP is $8700, so you're basically still getting it for half-price or less.

More like $1200 less. I have a call into another dealer that will hopefully pan out.

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
You lads make me laugh. This “special offer” dropped into my in-box today.......

£7499 is about $9355 !! :frown2::frown2::frown2:

Ben

1 - 20 of 21 Posts