Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read one of your forum posts about Yamaha dropping the SCR model and found myself compelled to join in the fun.
I have only one other Yamaha of single year production and was thrilled to hear that I now have another.
We all know it's really just a Bolt with the look of the old enduros and that is exactly what I would've asked for if Mr Yamaha would've granted me one wish.
Looking forward to learning all I can from your group and maybe I can participate with a few of my own findings as I roll up the miles on my new bike.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just read one of your forum posts about Yamaha dropping the SCR model and found myself compelled to join in the fun.
I have only one other Yamaha of single year production and was thrilled to hear that I now have another.
We all know it's really just a Bolt with the look of the old enduros and that is exactly what I would've asked for if Mr Yamaha would've granted me one wish.
Looking forward to learning all I can from your group and maybe I can participate with a few of my own findings as I roll up the miles on my new bike.
LOL, Yes Sir!! If Mr Yamaha granted me one wish it would have been the same. I always say "they" built the SCR950 specifically for me... it has eveything I want and more...congrats on the new bike and enjoy,, it's a ton of fun!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FlatRack. I posted some photos in gallery. I know everyone likes photos!

Reactions: yoitsemo

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Flatrack. It's an addiction and I may seek help soon. It really doesn't take a lot of money if you buy smart and wait for the deals. My average initial cost over all 9 bikes is $486 dollars each. I don't keep track of the refurbishing costs.
You nailed my favorite bike of the bunch with the CT175. That expansion chamber will make your ears bleed but it's a sound and smell that brings me back to my youth. I ride that one hard and put it away wet. The rest of them get treated like babies. I swear my SCR smiled a when I brought it home to be the Alpha Bike of the pack.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks Flatrack. It's an addiction and I may seek help soon. It really doesn't take a lot of money if you buy smart and wait for the deals. My average initial cost over all 9 bikes is $486 dollars each. I don't keep track of the refurbishing costs.
You nailed my favorite bike of the bunch with the CT175. That expansion chamber will make your ears bleed but it's a sound and smell that brings me back to my youth. I ride that one hard and put it away wet. The rest of them get treated like babies. I swear my SCR smiled a when I brought it home to be the Alpha Bike of the pack.
I check the local classifieds almost daily looking for deals on early seventies bikes. I know Im not the only one cause when they do come up they go quick. Yeah the CT175 is my favorite, probably take the 360 next...theyre all nice, and a great collection! What's under the tarp :)?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tucked under the tarp is a 70 Malibu. I owned one when I graduated from high school. I told my wife that someday I was going to buy another one. She saw this one being parked out by the road as the guy was putting up the for sale sign. The next day it had a new home. I swapped out the well worn small block with a freshly built small block and a re-cored radiator. I have put about 35,000 miles on it in 14 years. It is a wonderfully dependable car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sweet, thats a beauty. Sounds like we're from the same era. I had a 67 Chevelle convertble 4 speed small block and a 67 beaumont hard top. Good times...
Cool rims, hard to tell, vintage Centerlines? Nice to see 15 inch rims, I still like the look.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have seen very few Beaumont's but always thought they were cool with minor variations over the common Chevelle. The wheels are 15" Cragar SST which were a cheaper version of the Centerline wheels. I get more comments on those wheels than any other feature on the car. I keep my eyes open for a spare wheel or two and have yet to come across a single one that is in similar condition. They have been out of production for many years and really weren't that popular at the time. I had to get new tires last year and the 15" choices are really limited. Went with BFG radial T/As and I don't do burnouts anymore=========$$

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have seen very few Beaumont's but always thought they were cool with minor variations over the common Chevelle. The wheels are 15" Cragar SST which were a cheaper version of the Centerline wheels. I get more comments on those wheels than any other feature on the car. I keep my eyes open for a spare wheel or two and have yet to come across a single one that is in similar condition. They have been out of production for many years and really weren't that popular at the time. I had to get new tires last year and the 15" choices are really limited. Went with BFG radial T/As and I don't do burnouts anymore=========$$
Better enjoy that while its still cheap to own them because i think down the road we might be paying a special tax on older cars like this that pollute more. Its unfortunate but gov'ts wants to push carbon taxes hard in the coming years

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure you're right. But so far it has been cheap to own and drive. I paid a one time registration fee 14 years ago as a historical vehicle and haven't had to pay for a plate renewal ever since. I was even able to use correct year plates because they had never been registered. They were new in the original envelope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts