Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Hello from Seattle (and CA)

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  YamiGuy 
#1 ·
Finally bought a new SCR after months of looking/learning around my area. Unable to find one in SEA at what I considered a fair price based on prices of others around the country, I chose to fly to CA and buy one on a heavy dealer-discount (like another member of the forum) at ~1/2 MSRP. Luckily I have a friend who lives in the area and I’m able to store it in his garage for now and use it whenever I visit LA and I may choose ride it home to Seattle if time allows this summer - and if I can find a solution to that pretty brutal seat.

I was only able to put about 250 mi on the bike since I bought it Friday, but after 45 minutes-Ish the ride is just really uncomfortable, so I’m hoping that a previous thread about a custom, group seat buy is still in the works for this page! If not, I guess I’ll look into other options, but I really don’t want to chop up a perfectly fine OEM seat if there’s another one available soon. Please let me know! :)

I grew up racing dirt bikes (mainly Yamaha’s) as a kid in Montana, but I also own a 1980 Yamaha Special II that I’ve slowly rebuilt over the last year and use it as daily rider when weather permits. I was even able to ride it home to Montana last summer and she performed beautifully! Gotta love Yammy’s.

Perhaps the most important and impressive tip of the cap I can give Yamaha is to my Yamaha Zuma 125 Scooter. I started getting really into scoots since moving to Seattle (both vintage and modern) a decade ago and purchased a 2009 Zuma 125 with 280 miles on the ODO in 2011. After 7+ years and one cross-country cannonball ride (3,700+ miles) later - she’s still running strong at nearly 30,000 miles on the ODO! I really cannot believe how insanely reliable that Scooter has been to me and all of the insane trips I’ve taken with it, and it just keeps on kicking.

Really looking forward to enjoying this SCR and it’s modern reliability, electronics, engine performance, and the roads around the area in California where it currently sits awaiting my weekend trips to rip through the Canyons and coastal roads. I’ll keep reading and looking into seats & other accessories and upgrades the community has done, but I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for creating this place. I’ve learned SO much via forums over years of rebuilding scooters and recently my XS, and types of places are just incredible for the riding community and hopefully I’m able help someone else as I get older (which seems to happen everyday) and wiser (not happening at the same rate, unfortunately).

Cheers to you guys and the first brand new machine I’ve ever owned!

— Justin

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome. I agree with you on the undisputed reliability of Yamaha motorcycles. I'm sure our new SCR's with hold true to that heritage. It amazes me as to how many people in this forum are so quick and eager to change and modify their brand new machines. It makes me less apprehensive to follow thru on the few changes I have done and still plan to do. I have contacted Seat Concepts on two occasions so far and the last response was that the SCR seat was in the mold shop and that was mid December. They figured it would be another month before something was ready. That should be any day now! The estimated cost was to be around $175 for a kit that provides new foam and cover, using the original seat pan. Hopefully they offer a couple color / style choices.

#9 ·
Yes! That's awesome, I figured it had to be one of their 3 dealerships where you purchased yours. Funny it was the same one, lol. My buddy in Studio City who is storing my bike for me owns a big Indian Chief Dark Horse that I borrowed last month to ride out to Pioneertown (arguably one of the most unnecessary motorcycles ever, but it was fun for a weekend), and I absolutely want to make a return ride soon. If you're interested in taking a rip out to the desert with us someday - you're more than welcome! I usually end up riding alone due to our schedules not lining up anyway, so maybe it'll just be a SCR ride and we can coordinate outfits to look like we're filming a commercial or something, lol. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.