Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I picked up my SCR950 from Del Amo Motorsports. 54 out the door was what they advertised and they did not disappoint.

I’ve owned a ‘02 v-star 1100, ‘79 xl11, ‘81 seca II, ‘04 Harley sportster 1200, ‘00 Harley FXDX.

I just rode my dads Harley from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh for him have out there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You must either really care about your dad or really enjoy riding. /forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Harley Davidson says 95% of their bikes are still on the road!!.....

The other 5% actually made it home 😉😂!
DAMMIT! You stole my line. Here's my backup pun...
Harley Davidson....
Still the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise w/o producing any horsepower! 🤣

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
DAMMIT! You stole my line. Here's my backup pun...
Harley Davidson....
Still the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise w/o producing any horsepower! 🤣
Ooph.... That doesn't say much for my SCR then because my sons Harley walks away from me on my SCR.

I'm referring to the bike in the right side of the photo with the ape hangers, not the one he is riding.....

My SCR can beat that one he is riding. Lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
I always find a lot of Americans are hard on Harley’s - I can only presume it’s because there’s so many over there, that you’re bound to see some broken down etc. Maybe the Japanese have the same opinions of the “big 4”?? My dad and I have had 5 between us, and not any bother with any of them. I put 17000 miles on my Dyna, and can’t really remember one issue with it.

And yes, most Harley’s will “walk away” from an SCR - I dare say even an 883 would give it a good run - so complaining about their lack of horsepower on an SCR forum is a bit funny, Mr Jevers!!! :grin2::grin2:
Ben

·
Registered
717 Posts
I tell my jokes purely out of jest. Harley DOES make a nice bike, but not MY cup of tea (see what I did there?)!😜
My good friend just traded in his '02 Road King with 77k miles and was pretty reliable. Heck, I almost bought a new one a few years back when I stumbled upon a Honda VTX 1800rs for half the price! I have since owned 3 of them and am looking for another. Each to their own! Have fun on your ride, Ben! Jevers

·
Registered
9 Posts
My scr is a daily driver in Louisville that I also use to visit my property near the TN boarder. Two hours interstate and paved roads.. just under a mile on gravel roads.. then a bit up a dry Creek run. When Harley riders bluff shade I tell them:
right tool for the right job. If I rode a Harley it would be like four wheeling in a Corvette.. hella fun for five minutes and then just real expensive.

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
My scr is a daily driver in Louisville that I also use to visit my property near the TN boarder. Two hours interstate and paved roads.. just under a mile on gravel roads.. then a bit up a dry Creek run. When Harley riders bluff shade I tell them:
right tool for the right job. If I rode a Harley it would be like four wheeling in a Corvette.. hella fun for five minutes and then just real expensive.
......sounds like you need the Sportster which recently did the Mexican “Norra 1000”. :grin2:
Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tell my jokes purely out of jest. Harley DOES make a nice bike, but not MY cup of tea (see what I did there?)!😜
My good friend just traded in his '02 Road King with 77k miles and was pretty reliable. Heck, I almost bought a new one a few years back when I stumbled upon a Honda VTX 1800rs for half the price! I have since owned 3 of them and am looking for another. Each to their own! Have fun on your ride, Ben! Jevers

There used to be a pretty deep rift between Harley enthusiasts and all other brands. I think the hardcore line is fading these days, like someone said, right tool for the job. I like the scr950 because it doesn’t pretend to be anything else. It’s a throwback to the 70’s & 80’s Yamahas with a proven American inspired v twin. I’m an unemployed veteran student, trying to save some cash and still get around.

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
There used to be a pretty deep rift between Harley enthusiasts and all other brands. I think the hardcore line is fading these days, like someone said, right tool for the job. I like the scr950 because it doesn’t pretend to be anything else. It’s a throwback to the 70’s & 80’s Yamahas with a proven American inspired v twin. I’m an unemployed veteran student, trying to save some cash and still get around.
Some might say it’s pretending to be a scrambler.....?? :nerd:
Ben

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
A fair point. I think Yama could have avoided that accusation if they had named it the SR-950 or XS-950 or just come up with something other than SCR.
Scrambler always makes me think Honda.
Enduro makes me think Yamaha,or Suzuki.
Probably due to the fact that I operate in a 70s state of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the (should have could of argument) I agree that it should have been xs. I bought the bike cause it reminded me of the xs650, a much maligned but sturdy bike.

The scr950 biggest failure for off road is the lack of an easy chain drive kit. If you go on the grass and brambles eventually something is going to snap your chain. "Easy" to throw on a chain ... Replacing a belt is an expensive hassle.

All the other issues limiting the scr950 as scrambler. I consider quirks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts