Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, guys, my name is Ben and I am from Los Angeles.

Kindly ask for your advice and help on my situation:

1. I didn't ride my SCr950 for 2 months.

2. Today I tried to start my SCR950 and failed.

3. I checked the horn & light and found the battery may be very low.

4. I connected a 12v jump starter with battery, tried to jump start but failed again(engine no response).

5. As soon as I push the start engine button in step 4, An loudly Continuous Electricity hum will be heard from here and it is the only response(see attach pic)

6.I try to charge the battery first and see if it works. so I ordered a battery charger/tender from Amazon:

Battery Tender Plus 021-0128, 1.25 Amp Battery Charger is a Smart Charger, it will Fully Charge and Maintain a Battery at Proper Storage Voltage without the Damaging Effects Caused by Trickle Chargers

I just want to start the engine and enjoy the ride.

my question are:

Why the jump started doesn't work?

Should I check and replace anything?

What happened to the scr950?

Did I buy the right charger/ part for my situation?

any suggestion and advice on my situation?

Great thx for your help and looking forward to enjoying the ride w/ my scr again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@SCRBen

"What is that cable in the middle of your picture, that’s tied up? Looks like an accessory cable itself, for a charger or heated gear etc?"

-its the factory cable. I didn't do anything on my SCR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Working on it

the Optimate 4 looks like a great n easy to go product.

thx to your recommendatin,again.

I am simply connect with my battery and turn it on.

It is full automatically ? (if so,that is really good for me)and I can do nothing but Waiting.

see pic: save mode is automatically on. save?

I am waiting

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
@SCRBen

"What is that cable in the middle of your picture, that’s tied up? Looks like an accessory cable itself, for a charger or heated gear etc?"

-its the factory cable. I didn't do anything on my SCR.
Looks like a Battery Tender type connector cable to me. I know of no factory wire that resembles lamp cord like that.
If you pull on it, does the one end come free and have a capped end like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
If the cable is a battery charger cord, the dealership may have installed one as a matter of courtesy or convenience prior to it's sale.
Note: I just walked my insomniac butt outside at 4:15am and pulled a side cover off my bike looking for a wire like that. LOL

The hum you described: That sounds like a starter relay being energized but not fully up to par due to low battery voltage.
If it were my bike and the wire above is a connector for a charger, I'd verify the polarity by checking the terminals as follows:
Pull the protective cap off. The open terminal should be the ground (-) and the recessed one (+) and reading voltage with the bike off.
Yes? It's hooked up correctly. Next, I'd put it on the Battery Tender, look for
the light to say it's charging, and leave it for at least a day, even if the light goes solid green sooner.
If the bike still won't start, check at the simple stuff first:
When they hooked up the charger cord, the battery terminal
bolt(s) may not have been secured sufficiently. They are not very long and could've only caught a thread or two,
cross threading and giving the installer the impression the bolt was tight.
See if they're tight. It's quick, simple and free! =)
Having suffered a mid-ride engine failure on a DL1000 because the ground bolt was loose, I can say it's embarrassingly frustrating
to shout to no one in particular, "Are you kidding me???? That's it???"

·
Registered
884 Posts
Battery Tender ‘Junior’....?! Never heard of them, but pretty sure you’ll be better off with a ‘Senior’! :grin2:
Ben
Walmart, auto parts stores and farm supply businesses, etc... sell the Battery Tender Junior chargers here in the US.
I've had one a number of years and it does the job.
They make bigger chargers for larger batteries, but the "Junior" will take care of a bike battery just fine. :smile2:

Chargers

·
Registered
372 Posts
@bennjimmy Any lead-acid battery that discharges too far experiences significant changes in chemistry. That Optimate "save mode" supposedly reverses those changes. I guess we'll find out soon if their product can do everything they claim it can do. Keep us posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a Battery Tender type connector cable to me. I know of no factory wire that resembles lamp cord like that.
If you pull on it, does the one end come free and have a capped end like this?
You are right.
today,when I installed the OP4 wire on my battery, I found the
exact the same connector cable as your attach pic shows.

It's wired. I bought it as a new motorcycle for dealer. and had sent back to dealer to do the 1st Maintenance.

Maybe the dealer install it without noticing me?

BTW:the OP4 is a fantastic product and my SCR950 is back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts