Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was Eddie who planted the bug in my head about hinging the seat, possibly to the rear. Then I remembered my conversation with Schu about hinging it to the side, just like my old '75 DT400.
So off to Home Depot and $20 later, I have a bag of black hinges and latches. Well, after a few hours and an equal amount of beers, I decided that they were not heavy enough to last.
So, now it's off to the local m/c used parts yard and another $20 later, I have a rear hinge and a front latch from a 1971 Honda CB 175 that would
"simply bolt right on". Well, it wasn't simple and it didn't bolt right on. I spent about 8 hours, a lot of that time head scratching and trying to be careful not to scratch the paint or mutilate the seat pan.
The end result was that the seat sits about 1/2" higher in the back, due to the needed clearance when the seat tilts back toward the frame. It's sitting about 1/4" higher in the front and also about 1/2" farther forward due to the clearance needed for the hinges. No problem, it still sits just fine and being a little higher, it makes up to the tank just like the original position. The latch is simply held in place with a 2" U bolt. The hinge uses the 2 rear of the 4 studs that hold up the fender. I used 2 barrel nuts with a 10 mm head that I had left over from a previous bike. Without them, you could remove those studs and use bolts instead.
I hope that the pictures are self explanatory, but if not, I will try to clarify.
Cheers! jevers

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking good dude. Wish that more bikes came with seat set ups like this. Glad to see that the mod didn't change the riding position by much.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good dude. Wish that more bikes came with seat set ups like this. Glad to see that the mod didn't change the riding position by much.
UPDATE... I took her out for a shake down run yesterday and you're spot on, the minor elevation of the seat is not noticeable. I will post another update when I put the finishing touches on it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Side Hinge Concept

I fooled around with an idea for a side hinged seat. There are two small places on the top frame tubes that are completely round with no tabs, gussets or brackets. To the right and left of those spots are brackets that would naturally trap the hinges in place.
So I picked up two 1" round nylon clamps, two upholstery screws, and a small strand of cable. The photos show how I planned to use them. The 1" clamps are oversized just enough that they will pivot on the frame tube easily.
What I don't like is the fact that you have to sacrifice the three locations that currently hook under the tabs on the frame. One plastic and two steel hooks. Without those items you lose side to side stability of the seat, which could be resolved with a fixed cup under one or two of the rubber rest pads.
The seat tab that currently gets bolted to the frame could remain in place and simply settle into some type of receiver that could be fastened in place with the current welded nut.
And then there is still the need for a latch........ I'm not giving up yet.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had a 2009 KLR650. The seat on that one was held to the frame by tabs made into the seat pan that extended down past and bolted to the sub frame.
Thing was, you had to remove the side panels (also bolted on) to get at the seat hardware.
A common solution was to do away with the seat bolts & affix hook & loop (Velcro) material to where the frame and seat met in a couple of places.
The "nose" of the seat pan stuck into a bracket made into the tank to keep it from going forward. The mounting tabs provided lateral support and the Velcro kept things from shifting rearward.
This setup might.....might be adaptable to the SCR950 seat.
Schu's idea of installing some sort of "cup" to the frame cross pieces under the rubber pads on the seat pan would curtail any side to side and forward movement.
Freeze plugs of the correct size would be simple, available & cheap to use, no?
The tab/slot arrangement at the back of the seat pan would be a good anchor point.
All that would be left is to come up with a solid, flat piece of something to bolt to the seat pan to mate up to Velcro on the cross members.
(Areas in red in the photo borrowed from Schu's post.}
Need the seat off? Give it a good, firm pull straight up at the front to separate the Velcro and then pull it free from the rear tab.

Just a "I'm tired" idea bouncing around my head before the Benadryl kicks in. LOL
-eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Reactions: Burke

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Alternative: Attach steel freeze plugs to the seat pan bottom with countersunk screws and epoxy something like this
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DB4
in the plug cavity with a matching freeze plug cup attached to the frame cross members.
With a minimum combined pull force in excess of 68 pounds for four of them, the seat wouldn't be going anywhere!
=)
Great idea for an alternative to a mechanical latch. Thanks for the link. I still want to come up with side hinges. I don't want a removable method that leaves me with the seat in hand. Your magnet idea and Burks cup idea have resolved a couple issues for me!

Reactions: eddie

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
I did some chain link fence repairs and thought about how the gate's simple hinge works.
For thought: Mount two of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-30mm-MO...BAR-HID-ATV-/263593141989?hash=item3d5f6026e5
on the 1.014" frame rails with a hole drilled in the long part (photo) and a roll pin pressed in so it sticks out 1/2" or so.
To the seat base, affix a small block of something (aluminum, hard plastic such as Delrin or even some waterproofed hardwood) with a corresponding hole for the roll pins.
Make the holes only just barely big enough the pins move and there're your hinges. Provided there's enough room for the seat to pivot, that is.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Initially i wanted to go with the side hinges. After getting some hardware store quality ( cheap ) hinges and not being able to bring myself to drilling holes into the frame, I decided to go to the boneyard. Still going with the side mount hinges at this point, but every bike I found, the m/c side of the hinge was welded on. The ONLY bike a found was a '71 Honda CL175 that had everything BOLTED on. Although being a rear mount hinge, I decided to go that route ( see post ). Anywho, short story long, it turned out pretty well. No drilling into the frame, but the seat pan to a pretty heavy beating! jevers

·
Registered
884 Posts
Most auto parts stores have a supply of freeze plugs on hand and they are usually very inexpensive. (<$1?) each.

I looked around the site with the magnets and they sell ones with a durable vinyl paint coating, too.
It reduces the strength a little, but makes the magnets more durable and less likely to chip with repeated use.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Underside pics

Interested in the seat setup you're working on. Any chance of seeing the underside of the seat?
Give me a few days ( been really busy plowing all of this freakin' snow!) and I will take the seat off and snap a few pics. I need to take it all apart to paint the old hinge anyway. I will also try to update my original post with some more detailed instructions. jevers

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No drilling into the frame, but the seat pan to a pretty heavy beating! jevers
Interested in the seat setup you're working on. Any chance of seeing the underside of the seat?
Okay, it's going to SNOW AGAIN, so I took the seat apart to paint the hinge. Here's a few pictures. I'm usually pretty picky about everything I own, but for some reason, I have no qualms over "modifying" this particular bike. Probably because I bought it so cheap! I think I need to invest in a Dremel! Let me know if you want more pics or information. jevers

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Okay, it's going to SNOW AGAIN, so I took the seat apart to paint the hinge. Here's a few pictures. I'm usually pretty picky about everything I own, but for some reason, I have no qualms over "modifying" this particular bike. Probably because I bought it so cheap! I think I need to invest in a Dremel! Let me know if you want more pics or information. jevers
Thats awesome! Yeah, Dremels are great little tools, I find uses for mine all the time. So what's next, custom paint?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thats awesome! Yeah, Dremels are great little tools, I find uses for mine all the time. So what's next, custom paint?
You know he is going to go with the attached and simply change it to 950.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know he is going to go with the attached and simply change it to 950.
Thanks for chiming in, Schu! That's exactly what I am going to do, probably wait until this next winter, though. I just put the finishing touches on the seat hinge and she's done. I was hoping to lock the seat, but the latch lever is hidden behind the side cover, so I'm going to settle for that. Now the search begins for a nylon? bag to fit in the void under the now accessible seat. A bag that is 10"X10"X6" high with a zipper down the middle would be ideal. Open to all suggestions! Thanks everyone! jevers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts