Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a picture of the newly announced 1100 Honda Rebel today, and nearly spat my coffee out! One publicity shot in particular looked especially familiar......

Got to admit, was never really a fan of the newer 500 Rebels, but the thought of an 1100 is intriguing, especially with the nice power figures that come with an engine inherited from the Africa Twin.

Thoughts.....?

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Saw a picture of the newly announced 1100 Honda Rebel today, and nearly spat my coffee out! One publicity shot in particular looked especially familiar......

Got to admit, was never really a fan of the newer 500 Rebels, but the thought of an 1100 is intriguing, especially with the nice power figures that come with an engine inherited from the Africa Twin.

https://youtu.be/ouXW2vLsFGs

Thoughts.....?

Ben
Cool bike, but for the long legged riders like me and for the same price, I would go with the Africa Twin. Just my opinion. Jevers

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool bike, but for the long legged riders like me and for the same price, I would go with the Africa Twin. Just my opinion. Jevers
Yeah, take your point re the seeming lack of legroom - wonder if they’ll introduce forward controls?

Same price tho?.......not even close!! Very aggressively priced.....

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah, take your point re the seeming lack of legroom - wonder if they’ll introduce forward controls?

Same price tho?.......not even close!! Very aggressively priced.....

Ben
Yeah, I guess I was comparing apples to oranges. The NEW Rebel is $9995 and a NEW OLD STOCK 2017 Africa Twin is $9495. It's still a new bike, but 3 or 4 model years old.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old thread revival!!

Just seen the new Honda Hawk 1100 in this weeks’ MCN, utilising the Africa Twin and Rebel engine……..me likey likey!!!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Ben

Reactions: TonyKZ1

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hawk looks ok, but not as pleasing to me as the new model XSR900, in particular with the Gauloises paint job option. At under £10k I think it's pretty good value given it's got a shedload of electronics (which is something I'm not too keen on).
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hawk looks ok, but not as pleasing to me as the new model XSR900, in particular with the Gauloises paint job option. At under £10k I think it's pretty good value given it's got a shedload of electronics (which is something I'm not too keen on).
Agreed - liked that since I first saw it a couple of months ago. The paint scheme is fantastic . However, I’ve already had an XSR900, but it was too much. If I went back to XSR land (not that I plan to) it would be the 700, probably the XTribute…..

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

…..seemingly another Yamaha that failed to sell. I had a go on a Tracer 7 last time the SCR was serviced - what an engine!! Don’t like the adventure bike styling tho…..retro is much more my thing.

Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
In what respect do you mean the XSR900 you had was too much, I'd be interested to hear?
I have a biking mate who had a Tracer 7 a few years ago and loved it as a good, all-round roadster. He's now thinking about another after 2 year-long trips on a GS800.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In what respect do you mean the XSR900 you had was too much, I'd be interested to hear?
I have a biking mate who had a Tracer 7 a few years ago and loved it as a good, all-round roadster. He's now thinking about another after 2 year-long trips on a GS800.
Too fast (IMO) for regular road riding. And I’m not the only one who thinks so…..

This was mine:

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I found myself doing 100 mph on the way to Seaways caff, for no reason other than I could!! (This may be a reflection of my own immaturity). It just seemed to want to go everywhere fast……

The 700 on the other hand, seemed a lot more me. Still quick, don’t get me wrong, but not blazingly quick, like the 900. So so lovely and light too. And don’t forget, also a twin (and not a triple), so a little more character (to my mind and ear, anyway).

Ben

Reactions: markvb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my opinion and last time I checked I'm entitled to one, a lot of people who own / use MT 07 / MT 09 do conclude that the 700 is just simply better then the 900. Makes little sense on paper but you don't ride on paper.
Some great looking bikes being talked about here, but here's a curved ball whilst out on 100 mile ride last week I started to suffer some hip pain. I started to wonder if forward controls might be the answer. Also wide bars are a favorite these are wider then SCR.
What do you think of this guys?
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just my opinion and last time I checked I'm entitled to one, a lot of people who own / use MT 07 / MT 09 do conclude that the 700 is just simply better then the 900. Makes little sense on paper but you don't ride on paper.
Some great looking bikes being talked about here, but here's a curved ball whilst out on 100 mile ride last week I started to suffer some hip pain. I started to wonder if forward controls might be the answer. Also wide bars are a favorite these are wider then SCR.
What do you think of this guys?
I think I’ve seen this before - a cut price, Chinese Ducati Diavel copy?? Can’t recall what it actually is, tho…..?

Ben

·
Registered
37 Posts
Benelli 500 twin used in 3 bikes, it is aimed at the 500 Honda twins. Obviously made in China under Italian orders, like some Beemers and not forgetting the Thaiumph bikes with union Jack stickers daubed all over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I suppose we arrived here and owning the SCR because we don't want a perfect bike. In the 70's /80's I rode Kawasaki triples the roads were full of super dream Honda's. TBH I'd rather walk, I did have a cb250rs which was a brilliant bike.
I have just sold probably the best retro bike available today it was absolutely perfect and looked wonderful, but I find inline fours boring they just lack character. I'm glad I put 4 thousand miles on my jaffa Z900rs but I liked looking at more then riding it. I had a MT 09tracer and the day I exchanged it for a xsr700 with hi level akrapovic was a great day. Don't know why I never gelled with it but not for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suppose we arrived here and owning the SCR because we don't want a perfect bike. In the 70's /80's I rode Kawasaki triples the roads were full of super dream Honda's. TBH I'd rather walk, I did have a cb250rs which was a brilliant bike.
I have just sold probably the best retro bike available today it was absolutely perfect and looked wonderful, but I find inline fours boring they just lack character. I'm glad I put 4 thousand miles on my jaffa Z900rs but I liked looking at more then riding it. I had a MT 09tracer and the day I exchanged it for a xsr700 with hi level akrapovic was a great day. Don't know why I never gelled with it but not for me.
I agree with all of this :)

Ben

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couple of my riding buddies have zzr600's, they make me or our other friend who rides a vtx1300 lead as they cant go normal speeds, the bikes are so fast they hit 100 without thinking about it.
If I had a mt09/z900 rebel 1100 I'd be going a 100mph everywhere too. I was looking at mt07's and sv650's before getting the scr as they're a good amount of power for normal speeds and roads and pretty easy to find used.
I like the scr because its just fast enough to be fun and it likes going 60-70 mph not 100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I suppose we arrived here and owning the SCR because we don't want a perfect bike.
Hmm, not sure I agree with that - most bikes I have owned have been the perfect bike.... for me, at least 😆 There have been a few exceptions, the NC700X I once had springs to mind - whilst a mega-economic commuter tool, it had no 'spark' for me. The Tenere 660 I replaced it with was perfect for the commute and indeed longer rides and definitely had (and still has) that 'spark'. The SCR is presently perfect for me - low/old tech, a lazy ride from a big V-twin, great looks, love it 🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm, not sure I agree with that - most bikes I have owned have been the perfect bike.... for me, at least 😆
Is this just a temporary ‘perfect’, then? If the above was genuinely true, surely you would have kept one of them….??

Isn’t that what we are all searching for? The ‘perfect bike’ for us? I know I am. I’ve now had the SCR for five years. Why? cos I love it! Genuinely. But also, because I’ve yet to find anything that I want more. When I walk around Squires (or anywhere), it’s not very often I see something that makes me go “I’d rather have that”. Even if I do, I then walk back to the SCR, and go “nah……”.

The day I genuinely find something I like, and want, more, it’ll probably go (if anyone will have it, that is!) Until then……it’s staying.

Ben

Reactions: Schu

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Is this just a temporary ‘perfect’, then? If the above was genuinely true, surely you would have kept one of them….??

Isn’t that what we are all searching for? The ‘perfect bike’ for us? I know I am. I’ve now had the SCR for five years. Why? cos I love it! Genuinely. But also, because I’ve yet to find anything that I want more. When I walk around Squires (or anywhere), it’s not very often I see something that makes me go “I’d rather have that”. Even if I do, I then walk back to the SCR, and go “nah……”.

The day I genuinely find something I like, and want, more, it’ll probably go (if anyone will have it, that is!) Until then……it’s staying.

Ben
How can you NOT like the old Yamaha Enduros like this beautiful CT3…:geek:
Clothing Smile Tire Jeans Wheel

·
Registered
60 Posts

Isn’t that what we are all searching for? The ‘perfect bike’ for us? I know I am.
Yeah, some of us are searching for the perfect bike, but I know plenty of folks who must have the latest/flashiest model of whatever type of bike rings their bell.
I spent a while as a serial bike changer, then in 1995 I stumbled on the XJR1200, which turned out as the perfect bike for me. I swapped it a few years later only cos the later 1300 had a great paint job in AMA colours, and I still have that bike some 23 yrs on 🙂 I also still have another 'perfect bike' I bought 20 yrs ago, an Africa Twin. And, although it's early days, I have the feeling the SCR falls into the perfect bike category, too. These 'perfect bikes' are perfect for different reasons, and the AT earned the badge over time as I originally bought it as no more than a commuter, but over time it's toured on road and gravel, and is a bike that's far better than the sum of its parts. Part of being a perfect bike for me is the history surrounding it as the years go by, forming a bond and getting to know its quirks, strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Markvb said it better then me, I just use the term gelling with it. I'm a serial bike changer but not until I have done enough miles to form a fair opinion.
The SCR is like a stupid friend or daft Labrador you feel it needs your help and you don't want to let it down!
For example I have never had a bike that I have to remind myself not to lean it over when using a traffic island but the miles in between islands on swinging a & b roads are a joy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts