Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only owner of the src950 who experience this unpleasantly loud howling sound that appears around 6500 rpm and continues up past 7600 rpm to completely diseappear by 8000 rpm? I believe it is an aerodynamic noise but I have no clue as to what is creating it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Am I the only owner of the src950 who experience this unpleasantly loud howling sound that appears around 6500 rpm and continues up past 7600 rpm to completely diseappear by 8000 rpm? I believe it is an aerodynamic noise but I have no clue as to what is creating it.
Sweet!
Now I can estimate my upper RPM range by the howling noise....
Obviously you must have upgraded to something with a tachometer.
Yes, mine howls. I assume the root cause is the tires, although the howling sound might be resonating from who knows what/where.
Like all the other quirks of the SCR, I've grown accustomed to it.
So now when it quits howling I'll be worried!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Almost certainly the tires, but if your SCR is getting up to 8000rpm, it’s probably also the engine beginning to explode!! (limiter would long have kicked in by then) :grin2:
Ben

·
Registered
884 Posts
Even with mods and a reflash on the ECU, power peaks and starts to drop off between 5,500-6,000 RPM.
According to my Yamaha dealer, the back cylinder shuts down and the rev limiter should be kicking in at 7,000rpm or so.
There isn't a real advantage to revving out the 950 that high, if it were even possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Something I noticed recently which I believe adds additional support to the theory that the tires are responsible for the howl many of us have reported - if I turn, the sound changes pitch and intensity. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooops!! What was I thinking of🤪
No tach just mph!! My bad but no apologies for entertaining you;-)
Seriously, just tire design then? Actually I have put 3.5 k miles on the odo and the howling sound has moved up slightly. Has anybody tried different tires?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Something I noticed recently which I believe adds additional support to the theory that the tires are responsible for the howl many of us have reported - if I turn, the sound changes pitch and intensity. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes I have, the sounds goes away when turning then reappears. within the same speed range

·
Registered
884 Posts
Seriously, just tire design then? Actually I have put 3.5 k miles on the odo and the howling sound has moved up slightly. Has anybody tried different tires?
Switched to Michelin Anakee IIIs. MUCH quieter!
Have run a few sets of these on my Super Tenere and really like 'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts

Switched to Michelin Anakee IIIs. MUCH quieter!
Have run a few sets of these on my Super Tenere and really like 'em.
Does anyone know what's the widest rear tire that will fit without rubbing?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have always been told it's safe to go up one tire size from stock.
That said, check out this graphic when considering putting a wider tire on a narrow rim.
(Please forgive the grammatical errors. I found these as-is online.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That said, check out this graphic when considering putting a wider tire on a narrow rim.
Yeah, I’ve never thought it a good idea, myself - and what’s to gain? More grip? Doubtful...... Look like you have a nice, big fat rear tyre? Buy a V-Rod!
Ben

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks for the advice Eddie. BTW. Where did you get that "TYRE" chart from? Ben? You 2 in cahoots with each other? 🤔
I want to go wider just for aesthetics. Try to zoom in on THIS rear tire!

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks for the advice Eddie. BTW. Where did you get that "TYRE" chart from? Ben? You 2 in cahoots with each other? 🤔
I Googled wide tire on a narrow rim or something like that. lol

Used to ride a 1989 Honda Transalp 600. I had a guy confront me in a WalMart parking lot late one night about how I had to put a "big, fat tar(sic)" on it or it wouldn't look right. I tried to explain that the Honda was a dual sport and it went right by him. "No, man. It needs a big fat tar. I like a big fat tar on my bike." I asked him what kind of motorcycle he had and he said he didn't own one (never had) but he repeated, "I like a big, fat tar on a bike."
His girlfriend looked at me apologetically.
:grin2:

-Cahoot #2

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I Googled wide tire on a narrow rim or something like that. lol

Used to ride a 1989 Honda Transalp 600. I had a guy confront me in a WalMart parking lot late one night about how I had to put a "big, fat tar(sic)" on it or it wouldn't look right. I tried to explain that the Honda was a dual sport and it went right by him. "No, man. It needs a big fat tar. I like a big fat tar on my bike." I asked him what kind of motorcycle he had and he said he didn't own one (never had) but he repeated, "I like a big, fat tar on a bike."
His girlfriend looked at me apologetically.
:grin2:

-Cahoot #2
Bhahaha. Another good story eddie.
I can picture it as if I was there. Except in my mind his girlfriend was living proof that he liked a "big fat tar".

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Your garage door appears to be more narrow than that rig is wide. Does it take a stunt rider to park that thing in the garage?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ha - you’ve not wanted a fat rear tyre since these boys were in fashion!! :grin2:
Ben

1 - 20 of 25 Posts