Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Daytime???? Thats pretty bold. Any suspect info???

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sighhhh

My SCR was stolen right off the street outside of work. This sucks.
I was gonna ask.... How the **** did the thieves get your bike out of your "garage" at your home?! Sorry for your loss, but if you have full coverage insurance, you should make out pretty well. Good luck to you! Jevers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh man, that sucks!
I had a bike stolen once before and the insurance settlement was fair. It was the only other bike I had bought brand new, and it had less than 5,000 miles on it. 1978 KZ1000 LTD. The settlement was only $300 less than I paid for the bike new. Hopefully you do well on your claim as well. I think jevers is right. You might actually make out on the deal. Keep us informed.

And don't settle for a gray one if they try and replace it. Lol

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sighhhh

My SCR was stolen right off the street outside of work. This sucks.
Gutted for you mate - hopefully, they’ll have a nice, little karmic accident (but the bike escapes unscathed, of course!!)

Ben

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I love how motorcyclists talk s*** about each other's bikes all day, every day (I put a Harley Davidson sticker on my broken vacuum cleaner. Now it sucks again.), but as soon as something like this happens, folks are sympathetic.

As far as I know, there are no suspects. Thieves in this city are very good at what they do. Either it's one guy who quickly disables or cuts through locks/alarms, punches out the ignition, and rides away; or it's a team of guys with a truck who quite literally lift the bike and drive off. There's only so much you can do to discourage them. You'll never be 100% theft-proof unless you've got eyes on your bike 24/7.

See for example

The good news is I paid extra at the dealership back in 2017 for gap insurance. It covers theft and totaling. I don't know how long it takes to recoup, but the wheels are in motion. Just got to figure out alternative commute options in the meantime.

There's just one part of this story that I feel bad about, and that's the fact that just before I walked out to find my bike was missing, I had been window-shopping other bikes online >:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
@jobirobi **** man i'm really sorry to hear that :( May I ask what part of San Francisco this happened? Wouldn't be surprised if it was in the Soma area, I'd be sketched out to park my bike in that neighborhood. It happened to my buddy's Thruxton in the past few months too. Wishing the best for you!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There's just one part of this story that I feel bad about, and that's the fact that just before I walked out to find my bike was missing, I had been window-shopping other bikes online >:)
Oh man!
Another one leaves the fold........
This is getting depressing.
I predict that our U.K. Brother is going to jump ship this year.
He talks a lot about "other bikes". :wink2:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I predict that our U.K. Brother is going to jump ship this year. He talks a lot about "other bikes". :wink:
It’s winters fault! I’m sat here on the toilet, in the cold and rain, for 5 months - inevitably I’m going to have a look on-line, see something I like, and say “ooh, that’s nice”! ......sometimes, it even might be a motorbike!! :laugh::laugh:

In all seriousness though, the battery is back on the bike, ready to go - maybe in the next week or two, I’ll finally get back out on it again after the hiatus, and then all will be well with the world again.....unless someone pinches it, that is! >:)

What were you looking at @jobirobi? Royal Enfield?
Ben

·
Registered
656 Posts
It’s winters fault! I’m sat here on the toilet, in the cold and rain, for 5 months - inevitably I’m going to have a look on-line, see something I like, and say “ooh, that’s nice”! ......sometimes, it even might be a motorbike!! :laugh::laugh:

In all seriousness though, the battery is back on the bike, ready to go - maybe in the next week or two, I’ll finally get back out on it again after the hiatus, and then all will be well with the world again.....unless someone pinches it, that is! >:)

Ben
You could always look at a Triumph made in India. Or an Indian made in the U.S. 😱 I do believe the world has gone mad!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh, on a side note, it's gonna be 64 degrees and sunny here in Minnesota! Although I won't be subjecting my SCR to the salted roads, I will be enjoying a ride on my $700 Pacific Coast! I will quietly toast you guys when I stop for a brew at my favorite brewpub. Hope your weather takes a turn for the better soon! Jevers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh, on a side note, it's gonna be 64 degrees and sunny here in Minnesota! Although I won't be subjecting my SCR to the salted roads, I will be enjoying a ride on my $700 Pacific Coast! I will quietly toast you guys when I stop for a brew at my favorite brewpub. Hope your weather takes a turn for the better soon! Jevers
You and me both Jay. It's supposed to almost hit 60 degrees today in my area of Michigan. I will uncover the SCR in a few hours and have a go with it. :grin2:

·
Registered
656 Posts
You and me both Jay. It's supposed to almost hit 60 degrees today in my area of Michigan. I will uncover the SCR in a few hours and have a go with it. :grin2:
Be careful out there, Brother Schu! I don't know about your area, but around here they use A LOT of salt and sand on the roads. We haven't had any rain yet to wash it off so I have to be really careful with corners and intersections. Now you got me thinking about taking the SCR out! Enjoy the day! Jevers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Be careful out there, Brother Schu! I don't know about your area, but around here they use A LOT of salt and sand on the roads. We haven't had any rain yet to wash it off so I have to be really careful with corners and intersections. Now you got me thinking about taking the SCR out! Enjoy the day! Jevers
The roads were fine out here jevers. However, my gravel driveway is a mess. Very little gravel left, and very soft. Its 350 feet of yuck. So my SCR got a little dirty on its first time out. >:) But it sure felt good. Only rode 30 miles though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@jobirobi **** man i'm really sorry to hear that :( May I ask what part of San Francisco this happened?
Dogpatch. My coworkers' cars have been broken into plenty, but I never heard of any motorcycle thefts on our street until now. Though I am the only person in my office who rides regularly, so it's not like I have intel.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Absolutely gut wrenching news : /. Hope all works out with the insurance and you're back on two wheels again soon.

If anyone's interested Fortnine just put out a video testing different bike locks over here

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ben
RE Interceptor is on the short list, for sure. I'm mostly focused on scramblers, standards and dual-sport/adventure bikes. I'll tell you my exact search parameters on cycletrader:

<$10,000
<10,000 miles
600-1000cc
2010 or later
Excluding sportbikes, dirtbikes, and cruisers

Some hits from that search include, in no particular order:

Royal Enfield INT 650
Yamaha XSR 700/900, Tracer 900, and yes, even a nearby used SCR950 (which is listed right now for more than my new one listed for wtf)
Ducati Scrambler (803)
Triumph Scrambler (865)
BMW F 700 GS
Kawasaki Versys 650
Honda NC700X

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I talked to the building management today, and they have like 4 seconds of security footage catching the blurry theft in progress. Not really anything that'll lead me back to my bike. It was parked about 5 feet from the edge of their camera coverage. Guy walks into the frame, guy pushes bike out of frame. That's it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I talked to the building management today, and they have like 4 seconds of security footage catching the blurry theft in progress. Not really anything that'll lead me back to my bike. It was parked about 5 feet from the edge of their camera coverage. Guy walks into the frame, guy pushes bike out of frame. That's it.
Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson) could find him.

"I will look for you. I will find you. And I will **** you."

Good luck....

Reactions: eddie
1 - 20 of 37 Posts