Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

I got jacked

9K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  jevers478@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Sighhhh

My SCR was stolen right off the street outside of work. This sucks.

#5 ·
Oh man, that sucks!
I had a bike stolen once before and the insurance settlement was fair. It was the only other bike I had bought brand new, and it had less than 5,000 miles on it. 1978 KZ1000 LTD. The settlement was only $300 less than I paid for the bike new. Hopefully you do well on your claim as well. I think jevers is right. You might actually make out on the deal. Keep us informed.

And don't settle for a gray one if they try and replace it. Lol

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I love how motorcyclists talk s*** about each other's bikes all day, every day (I put a Harley Davidson sticker on my broken vacuum cleaner. Now it sucks again.), but as soon as something like this happens, folks are sympathetic.

As far as I know, there are no suspects. Thieves in this city are very good at what they do. Either it's one guy who quickly disables or cuts through locks/alarms, punches out the ignition, and rides away; or it's a team of guys with a truck who quite literally lift the bike and drive off. There's only so much you can do to discourage them. You'll never be 100% theft-proof unless you've got eyes on your bike 24/7.

See for example

The good news is I paid extra at the dealership back in 2017 for gap insurance. It covers theft and totaling. I don't know how long it takes to recoup, but the wheels are in motion. Just got to figure out alternative commute options in the meantime.

There's just one part of this story that I feel bad about, and that's the fact that just before I walked out to find my bike was missing, I had been window-shopping other bikes online >:)

#9 ·
There's just one part of this story that I feel bad about, and that's the fact that just before I walked out to find my bike was missing, I had been window-shopping other bikes online >:)
Oh man!
Another one leaves the fold........
This is getting depressing.
I predict that our U.K. Brother is going to jump ship this year.
He talks a lot about "other bikes". :wink2:

#12 ·
Oh, on a side note, it's gonna be 64 degrees and sunny here in Minnesota! Although I won't be subjecting my SCR to the salted roads, I will be enjoying a ride on my $700 Pacific Coast! I will quietly toast you guys when I stop for a brew at my favorite brewpub. Hope your weather takes a turn for the better soon! Jevers

#13 ·
You and me both Jay. It's supposed to almost hit 60 degrees today in my area of Michigan. I will uncover the SCR in a few hours and have a go with it. :grin2:

#19 ·
I talked to the building management today, and they have like 4 seconds of security footage catching the blurry theft in progress. Not really anything that'll lead me back to my bike. It was parked about 5 feet from the edge of their camera coverage. Guy walks into the frame, guy pushes bike out of frame. That's it.

#20 ·
Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson) could find him.

"I will look for you. I will find you. And I will **** you."

Good luck....

Reactions: eddie
#21 ·
Praise [deity], my bike is back! It was found about a block and a half away from where it had been parked. Apparently thieves in this area will do this. They move a bike a block or so on foot and wait to see if anyone comes looking for it. They're hoping you're an infrequent rider or have left your bike to sit until warmer weather returns. After a while, if nobody comes for it, then they'll sell it or chop it or whatever it is these muffuggas do with their illicit goods.

♫ Reunited and it feels so gooooood ♫

I'm sorry baby! I'll never look at another bike again (lies).

#33 ·
We can all put our stock foot pegs back on and at least we could follow the blood trail.

Reactions: jobirobi and eddie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.