Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost went and done it. I don't have a lot of miles on the SCR (207 at the moment) and I've always been a little concerned about the seat height, and my short inseam(29"). So whenever I would stop, I'd be on the balls of my feet. With the bike being top-heavy, the fear of toppling over is always there. So... today I went and looked at the new Royal Enfield INT650. A pretty bike and I could set flat footed. I'd take a hit on the trade-in, but the INT650 is only $5799 w/3yr warranty! While waiting for the powers-that-be to value my bike, the salesman said I could put the bike on its' centerstand, and sit on it to feel the riding position. So I did, and I'm glad I did! First, the control levers are smaller than the SCR, so you almost need to search for them. The upright riding position has you leaning forward to reach the handlebars. Lastly, with the bike being smaller than the SCR, it almost felt like your knees were much too high, sorta like riding your three year old grandkids first bike. After the initial appraisal was written up, I left the dealership and decided to take a LONG way home. I then realized that the SCR's seating was just about spot on, controls easy to find, seating position was good and with the softer cushion/seat cover, the bike was actually quite enjoyable to ride. So for now, these 72 year old bones are gonna stick with the SCR. The grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence. But I do gotta say, that Royal Enfield sure is a purty machine...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I believe that you made the right decision! I am not loyal to any particular brand, but I do like the SCR, in spite ( and because)of its quirks. Have you tried stopping with your right foot firmly planted on the footpeg and only having your left foot down? With the awkward position of the pegs, I find myself doing it more and more. Jevers

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ooooh, there's a RE event in San Jose this weekend. I was thinking of popping down for a test ride. The INT seemed like a good fit for my aesthetic ideals, seeing as it's almost like a smaller SCR. The wife expressly forbade me from becoming a multiple-bike owner... but maybe a trade-in... >:)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ha, that’s makes a couple of us now then - although something about the SCR then convinces’ us otherwise......

The new RE twins are nice - they look like Triumphs used to look. Getting good reviews over here too.

Couple of things I learned about them recently - they run on fully synth oil - not a big deal, I know it has its fans on here. But also, they need the valves checking at every annual service, so I understand. Might be something to factor in when considering getting one, and you have the dealer do the work.

( @jobirobi - you’re not serious, are you?! )

Ben

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I believe that you made the right decision! I am not loyal to any particular brand, but I do like the SCR, in spite ( and because)of its quirks. Have you tried stopping with your right foot firmly planted on the footpeg and only having your left foot down? With the awkward position of the pegs, I find myself doing it more and more. Jevers
You are spot on with that suggestion Jay. That is exactly what I do with my short legs. Left foot down and fairly flat, while the right foot stays on the peg.

And I agree Lee. I feel the same way with my SCR. Been several times it has almost gotten away from me when it leans too far during tight maneuvers of park'n the pig.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a side note... While waiting to take delivery of his RE 500 w/sidecar, a gent was really looking the SCR over. He made a point to tell me how nice the SCR looked. Maybe subconsciously, that sealed the no-sale deal

·
Registered
228 Posts
You are spot on with that suggestion Jay. That is exactly what I do with my short legs. Left foot down and fairly flat, while the right foot stays on the peg.

And I agree Lee. I feel the same way with my SCR. Been several times it has almost gotten away from me when it leans too far during tight maneuvers of park'n the pig.
5'7" and this is my go-to stopping position. Sometime go with the right foot on the ground if I'm sitting at a long light and want to be in neutral.

·
Registered
693 Posts
AHHHHHHH!!!!! Let me tell you a little story about sitting at a stoplight in neutral.
Beautiful summer day here in Minnesota. I had just picked up my new 2003 Honda VTX 1800 Retro from the dealer and I'm 2 blocks away and started my 75 mile ride home. I hit a red light so I pop it in neutral and to make matters worse, I am centered on the car stopped ahead of me. I'm looking around, enjoying the moment when all of a sudden, I hear this God awful sound of tires screeching. I look in my mirror to see a 12 passenger van braking so hard that the front bumper is nearly touching the pavement! Thank God the 16 year old girl got it stopped about 3 feet behind me! Never ever again have I been caught off guard like that. I ALWAYS keep my bike in gear and pointing to the left or right side of the car ahead of me while scanning my mirrors! Just saying.... Jevers

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you look how the frame is assembled, you’ll see that you can lower the seat height by bending down the aft subframe behind the weld to the main frame, then straightening the top tube by adding to the up tube bend. I’ve got a 32” inseam and with the added 1” of foam in the seat, I’m uncomfortably high as well, mostly when it comes time to back up. I’m probably going to do this so I can get 4” of foam on the seat and get seated low enough so the pegs don’t always hit my shins.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you look how the frame is assembled, you’ll see that you can lower the seat height by bending down the aft subframe behind the weld to the main frame, then straightening the top tube by adding to the up tube bend. I’ve got a 32” inseam and with the added 1” of foam in the seat, I’m uncomfortably high as well, mostly when it comes time to back up. I’m probably going to do this so I can get 4” of foam on the seat and get seated low enough so the pegs don’t always hit my shins.
I would definitely be interested in how that works out for you. I'm a 30" inseam and it reminds me of riding my big brothers bicycle. Scooting this pig backwards is almost impossible for me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Caphenning, Just remember that more foam does NOT always mean more comfort. The stock seat on my '79 Bonneville has 4" to 6" of foam and after 20 miles your butt is SCREAMING for mercy!! I bought a Corbin for $400, 24 years ago and it is one of the most comfortable seats out of the 28 bikes I've owned. It is shaped like an old steel farm implement
( tractor) seat and only has maybe 2" of foam. I did the Seat Concepts kit and it is an improvement. I would have dived into another Corbin, but I'm not crazy about their one and only design for the SCR. Good luck to you just the same! Jevers

·
Registered
884 Posts
To have a RE as a primary bike might be too much of a test of patience, finances and UPS parts delivery schedules for me.
One might make a hilariously fun play bike, though.

As for short inseams, mine's maybe 30" (possibly less) and I have used a variety of approaches to riding tall bikes.
By tall I mean those with seats 3-4 inches taller than my inseam.
Once you get the hang of it, it's not a problem.
Like I tell prospective riders:
You buy a bike to hold you up, not the other way around.
Would a pilot get a plane for how well it sits at rest?
=)

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
ARRGGGGG I really enjoyed my test ride today on the R.E. INT 650. It felt totally natural and similar to my SCR, but without so much heft. It felt much lighter than its 450 lbs suggest, but maybe I'm just way too used to heavy. I'm tall - 34" inseam - and it definitely has a significantly lower seat height, so getting back on my SCR I did appreciate sitting up higher and feeling like I could see more road again, but on the INT I loved the riding pose and the feeling of actually being able to grip the tank with my knees. I forgot how much I missed that!

I also rode the GT 650, the cafe version of the same bike. It's a very cool ride, but I can't maintain that racer riding position for more than maybe half an hour. I also took a spin on a 500 Classic just for s**ts. It's not for me, it's a bit awkward to ride unless you have Eddie's donut legs. But how cool would I be with the only bike on the street that looks like it came straight off the shoot of The Last Crusade?

What made buying my SCR a no brainer was Yamaha's reputation, and even though I got it when it was a "first" year bike (not yet a "one" year bike :laugh: ), it had a fourth-year engine design. The new R.E. 650s have a first year engine (first year everything, really), meaning there aren't enough early adopters yet to figure out what shortcomings the design will prove to have.

Maybe if there's a 2021 model one day I'll make a switch - and I will defintely consider it! - but my SCR remains my One True Bike for now.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
ARRGGGGG I really enjoyed my test ride today on the R.E. INT 650. It felt totally natural and similar to my SCR, but without so much heft. It felt much lighter than its 450 lbs suggest, but maybe I'm just way too used to heavy. I'm tall - 34" inseam - and it definitely has a significantly lower seat height, so getting back on my SCR I did appreciate sitting up higher and feeling like I could see more road again, but on the INT I loved the riding pose and the feeling of actually being able to grip the tank with my knees. I forgot how much I missed that!

I also rode the GT 650, the cafe version of the same bike. It's a very cool ride, but I can't maintain that racer riding position for more than maybe half an hour. I also took a spin on a 500 Classic just for s**ts. It's not for me, it's a bit awkward to ride unless you have Eddie's donut legs. But how cool would I be with the only bike on the street that looks like it came straight off the shoot of The Last Crusade?

What made buying my SCR a no brainer was Yamaha's reputation, and even though I got it when it was a "first" year bike (not yet a "one" year bike :laugh: ), it had a fourth-year engine design. The new R.E. 650s have a first year engine (first year everything, really), meaning there aren't enough early adopters yet to figure out what shortcomings the design will prove to have.

Maybe if there's a 2021 model one day I'll make a switch - and I will defintely consider it! - but my SCR remains my One True Bike for now.
I was speaking to an old guy the other night - bit of a veteran rider. I think he was around at the time of the Crusades......!! Anyway, he’d taken a new Int out for a test ride that very day - was thinking of chopping in his Honda CB500X for it. Loved it, but the aforementioned service requirements put him off. Why would you need the valves checked every year.....? Suffice to say, he wasn’t prepared to pay for that.
Ben

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
@jobirobi - Bike magazine has just completed a 3000 mile test of an interceptor - 9/10. Uses words such as ‘brilliant’ and ‘bike bargain of the century’ (although those cheap SCRs knocking about might give it a run for its money now!!) :grin2::grin2:

Can you even zoom in enough to read it?! :grin2:
Ben

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts