Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With one headlight, the possibility of the OEM halogen bulb burning out is a "when", not "if" it will happen. Most of the time, the low beam goes first because it's the most used. Just run it on high beam until you can replace it, right?
I have had, on a rare occasion, a bulb fry itself into total failure. What then?
A spare bulb is handy, but fragile.
Since the Hondas have LED lights, this isn't a real concern.
The Super Tenere is headed to 8 years old and still has one halogen bulb left after I converted one side of the dual beam assembly to a LED. The halogen is one of those amber deals for extra conspicuousness.
To keep an extra bulb safe, I got one of those clear storage tubes one usually finds in the nuts and bolts section of a home improvement store for a couple of dollars. Couple that with some double-sided hook and loop tape (Vecro knock off from Harbor Freight) and there's an extra bulb ready in my saddlebag. Something like this would fit easily under a SCR's seat.

Oh! One other thing. Those storage tubes usually have one end that's split to make it easy to dispense small amounts of ___ stored inside. I have the tube mounted with that end facing down to keep water out. The saddlebag seals don't always work 100%. ;)

Happy tinkering!

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey Eddie, Thanks for that great tip! I ALWAYS carried an extra bulb when I was running my old Triumph. With all the vibration, they were short lived. Here's another tip, run with your high beam during the day. It will be easier to be seen and you will preserve the low beam for night time use. Great to hear from you and I hope all is well! Jevers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the great tip...........Guess I need to get a spare bulb :) Thanks for all the good advice over the years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Solid post, good idea with the stash bulb. I think this just the right amount of new paranoia and unplanned effort for me to switch to an LED assembly. Thanks for the motivation buddy!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Eddie, Thanks for that great tip! I ALWAYS carried an extra bulb when I was running my old Triumph. With all the vibration, they were short lived. Here's another tip, run with your high beam during the day. It will be easier to be seen and you will preserve the low beam for night time use. Great to hear from you and I hope all is well! Jevers
Been doing okay here in GA:
77F one day, 34F & raining the next.
I ride when I can! :grin2: You doing okay?

I'm with you on the high beam tip. Traffic is as traffic does, so sayeth Forrest Gump the rider. We need all the help we can get! The GL1800s I had used two 55w low beams and two additional 55W high beam lights. I still had idiots look right at me and pull out anyway.
The Super Tenere's one yellow bulb seems to get their attention a little. I don't count on it, though. If they can, they will do stupid stuff out there. -eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
805 Posts
" Been doing okay here in GA:
77F one day, 34F & raining the next.
I ride when I can! "
Awwww, poor you! Here in Minnesota, NOW it's finally 40 and sunny one day and SNOWING the next. I've been able to get out on my ol $700, '90 Pacific Coast and carefully ride the salt/sand covered roads. Speaking of tires. 😉 Do you have a recommendation for a tire ridden on asphalt and gravel/fire roads?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.