Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got around today an installed my Front L.E.D's
They Brighter than I thought. Bet at Night Time they will really light up the place.

Thinking now about how to go about the rear. I kinda like the Tail assembly but also kinda would like to just take the signals off an replace with led's and leave the Brake light.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can mount the rear signals down by the shocks then either cut the wings off the old mount or replace the brake light with a light from a bolt, which is virtually identical just without the signal mount. You could move the lights and stick reflectors where the old mounts were, but that seems a little over kill. I'm sure you'll come up with something, it's not the first time you've gone a little out of the box with your bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can mount the rear signals down by the shocks then either cut the wings off the old mount or replace the brake light with a light from a bolt, which is virtually identical just without the signal mount. You could move the lights and stick reflectors where the old mounts were, but that seems a little over kill. I'm sure you'll come up with something, it's not the first time you've gone a little out of the box with your bike.
I like your idea about mounting the led's at the shock.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've contemplated moving the existing signals lower on the bike by fabricating a steel bracket out of flat bar stock bolted up under the fender
with vertical tabs at each end drilled to accept the signals. Haven't found a brake lamp assembly I like yet to proceed with the conversion.
Most of the LED stuff is either too modern-looking for the bike, too dim to be of any real use as a safety device or a combination of the two.
Thin LED strips fitted under the lip of the fender may look nice, but to me they leave a lot to be desired in daylight.
As one who has been hit by a car from behind twice, I want as much warning as possible to the motorists behind me that I am there.
I have one of these on my SCR950 now.
https://www.customled.com/products/magic-strobes-brake-light-flasher

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Non DOT

I've contemplated moving the existing signals lower on the bike by fabricating a steel bracket out of flat bar stock bolted up under the fender
with vertical tabs at each end drilled to accept the signals. Haven't found a brake lamp assembly I like yet to proceed with the conversion.
Most of the LED stuff is either too modern-looking for the bike, too dim to be of any real use as a safety device or a combination of the two.
Thin LED strips fitted under the lip of the fender may look nice, but to me they leave a lot to be desired in daylight.
As one who has been hit by a car from behind twice, I want as much warning as possible to the motorists behind me that I am there.
I have one of these on my SCR950 now.
https://www.customled.com/products/magic-strobes-brake-light-flasher
BTW any non DOT tail/brake light combo is grounds for getting screwed out of everything in a rear end accident. My one and only rear end situation was on a cheater chopper/bobber. All what saved my butt was the fact that I had a DOT tail light on from another bike and no license plate light cos I like to slap that right under the tail light. IMHO - You violate the DOT approved lights and you stand the risk of getting blamed - or at least getting screwed in a rear end collision. BTW Mine was in 2010, I cant believe those retarded side mount and bent into a pretzel taillight/license plate holding espresso makers have got more popular in the interceding 8 yrs. Just in the context of looks - I would never fit a side mount tail/license plate on anything, but from this insurance perspective **** NO. Seriously, you build a bike, you take into account it has to have a plate and make it look the way you want with that plate in the picture. Use a paper template of a plate if you want, but it has to fit into the overall design.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Then you would also have to run the wires from the fender and try to keep them hidden.
Not a problem, really. One hole hidden up under the seat and through the fender with a sturdy rubber grommet would do. Then run them along the inner edges of the fender using marine grade heat shrink tubing to protect the wires and clear RTV to hold them in place and out of harm's way. =)

·
Registered
884 Posts
BTW any non DOT tail/brake light combo is grounds for getting screwed out of everything in a rear end accident.
I've made sure to use DOT approved turn signals when changing out ugly stock ones in the past. On modern looking machines, I'm fond of the 2005 era GSXR600 Suzuki ones. I've found them for as little as $6 each. For the SCR, I'd actually keep the original turn signals. Hunting down a DOT brake lamp that would look good has been the road block to the project. I added the brake modulator as the local police bikes utilize them. Like a good headlight modulator, they really get one's attention.

Alternately, Hyperlite add-on LED modules get a nod for conspicuity, too. I witnessed a rider making their way a few blocks ahead one afternoon and the lights they had were quite noticeable. I had to laugh once I caught up with it, though. It was "Rhonda" on the SV650 I'd sold her months earlier. I'd installed the LEDs!

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
@eddie I presume your plate frame refers to the motorcycle racer and not the 49ers linebacker? Maybe it's both! Smith/Smith 20XX
Definitely just the motorcycle guy.
Check out the shirt I had on the day I bought the SCR950!:grin2:
David Aldana only lives about 90 miles up the road.
One of these days, I hope to get it autographed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it's possible that any of you haven't seen this movie, the full version is on YouTube. The opening scene happens to capture my first motorcycle. Actually it was also my most recent motorcycle. It is my project for this winter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out the shirt I had on the day I bought the SCR950!/forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
If it's possible that any of you haven't seen this movie, the full version is on YouTube. The opening scene happens to capture my first motorcycle. Actually it was also my most recent motorcycle. It is my project for this

If anyone rides a motorcycle and calls themselves a motorcyclist and has never seen On Any Sunday......isnt a motorcyclist.
I remember when I first watched it. Me an my cousin back when we were about 14 around 1983.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Where are all the motorcycle movies for the Millennial market?? Y'all had your McQueens and your Brandos and your Fondas... What did we get? Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If anyone rides a motorcycle and calls themselves a motorcyclist and has never seen On Any Sunday......isnt a motorcyclist.
I remember when I first watched it. Me an my cousin back when we were about 14 around 1983.
I’ve never got round to it.......:frown2:

I’m gunna sell up.......

Ben

·
Registered
299 Posts
when i was little my dad took me to the yamaha silvercup races at madison square garden. all the pro flat trackers were on small
bikes Not speedway. dave aldana was the only one foot up sideways great talent, very smooth.
could not breath in there !!! headaches for everyone... just FANTASTIC

·
Registered
884 Posts
Where are all the motorcycle movies for the Millennial market?? Y'all had your McQueens and your Brandos and your Fondas... What did we get? Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider.
Check out Dream Racer about a privateer who entered the Dakar Rally on a shoestring budget.
Similarly, Why We Ride is a good, modern m/c film, too."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2210824/?ref_=nv_sr_1
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2960470/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Older, but worth a look:
https://www.moviefone.com/movie/she-lives-to-ride/1092274/main/

Lastly, who can forget The World's Fastest Indian?
Just an awesomely fun film "based on one **** of a true story"!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/
I rode a bike 240+ miles round trip in Feb. to see that one!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nooooo

Whaaaaa noooooo … Sorry pal, my SCR with 3700 miles in 10 weeks and 200+K on bikes overall in 30 yrs begs to disagree.
However I have watched easy ride more than once, own a hi-def (higher than the video cassette which also I own somewhere) DVD of it, and watched Beyond the law with tears in my eyes … both for Charlie Sheen in real life and for Michael Madsen on it … I'd say - just a ethno-geographic shift. Easy rider is a little bit of a cult Icon in some niches in India (much like good, bad, ugly, where eagles dare etc) and Beyond the law was made closer to when I arrived on these shores …
Any sunday huh - let me see if I can find it in a few days.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Snip: Any sunday huh - let me see if I can find it in a few days.
The motorcycling film is On Any Sunday, not to be confused with the 1999 American football film Any Given Sunday.

As for the necessity of watching it, it was backed by Yamaha and Steve McQueen.
Short of maybe having a picture of the Pope riding a dirt bike on the DVD case, that's about as cool as it gets. =)

In truth, OAS is a dated documentary filmed without any special effects. They put cameras the size of lunch boxes on riders' helmets and sent them out on dirt tracks at well over 100mph.
It's like a time machine view of skinny tires, non-existent brakes and plenty of folks with the heart and guts to ride the bikes to the edge. Try and locate a copy, sit back and enjoy it for what it is: A really neat little piece of motorcycle history. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts