Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a 2014 FZ-09 before buying the SCR950. Both fall into the same displacement group State Farm uses to figure their rates. Up to 599cc is one value, 600cc to 999cc is another and 1,000cc on up the third. When I went to change over from one bike to the other on my policy, I was told my semi-annual premium was going up from $270-something to $470-something. Holy cow!
A customer of theirs for 32 years, I last got a ticket in 1997(off my record with them) and they haven't paid a claim on me since 1987.
It turns out they recently changed the rate structure across the board. It's not just me. The mid-sized bikes are now the most expensive to insure. I pointed out to the agent that by their rating system, they are going to take a beating covering all those middle-weight sport bikes ("600s" with actual 599cc engines!) that get wadded-up with alarming frequency. Just check YouTube.
I had her look it up and it would be far less expensive for me to insure a R6 sport bike (worth a lot more than the SCR950 and way more powerful). Heck, the renewal on my Super Tenere 1200 was still only $238 for full coverage.
They screwed-up, folks. Big time.

I made a call to Liberty Mutual and within an hour had swapped out my truck, two motorcycles and my home insurance. Total savings? $707! BOTH motorcycles with equal coverage + accident forgiveness is now only $360/6 months.
The cool thing is the agent only needed my name & address. She pulled up my vehicle VINs and current coverage in seconds. Whoa!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Canada so anything less than $1000 is considered cheap to me. $470 is like a steal. :crying:

Unless you're riding a Grom or some other 125cc bike, insurance is going to cost a lot no matter what.
That doesn't seem fair at all for you guys in Canada. After all, you have fewer riding days a year thanks to the winter weather.
Seems like your insurance would be less expensive.
Strange!

·
Registered
522 Posts
The system prejudges drivers based on statistical data. I.e. males under 25 have the worst statistical record as a group therefore companies charge them a lot more for their insurance. It's like legal discrimination and there's really not much you can do besides shop around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts