Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

is it about time to change the rear tire?

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Sammy 
#1 ·
.... 8000 miles so far... and that's how the rear tire looks like !
I'm surprised as I thought it will give me more miles, as many people mentioned it stayed up to 10-12
I don't deny driving so fast though... so maybe my style of driving is what wore it out too soon !

went ahead and ordered the Michelin Anakee 3 for $125
heard lots of positive feedback about it...

I know that the spark plugs are due too at 8000 miles and the carb sync (luckily the valve adjustment is at 16)

anything else I'd need in that 8000 miles maintenance??

also is it OK to change only the rear tire since the front is in a real good shape?

and do I have to change the tube? or the old tube should be fine? (knowing I have changed it before when I had a flat tire at around 3K miles)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I believe my front can go a lot more
Just changed the rear tire today.... Along with the oil & filter (for the 8k service)
The new rear tire is really different
I was able to tell right away !!

How is it with the larger size ?
I was so curious and wanted to do that too ...but I backed off...
Didn't wanna take the risk

#13 ·
Well I finally changed the rear tire, I have 20/K on it.

I might have squeaked out a few more miles but the weather is starting to turn and didn't want to risk it.

I've got 22/K on the front and was going to change it as well but after careful consideration I decided I still have another 5-10/K left in it. :grin2:

I'll post the final mileage on the front in a couple of months.

Attachments

#16 ·
The tires are Michelin Commander 2

Front is 100/90 B19 57H
Rear is 160/17B17 73V

I cannot say enough good about these tires, I got 20/K out of the rear (I could have got more) and have 25/K on the front and still going.

I only ride the street, about 100 miles a day, mostly between 75-85 mph. (a lot of HWY) I wouldn't put anything else on for the type of riding that I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.