Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thinking about picking up one of these at there Bargain Blow Out Price.
Did anyone else grab a Bargain on this one year only production?
Many of us on this forum have purchased the SCR for its bargain price and very few of us have been disappointed. Snap one up before they're all gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its joined the garage

It’s Mine.... Very Cool Addition To The Garage Of Weidness.
Yamaha FZ1
Honda Grom
Harley Davidson Dyna
Harley Davidson XR1200
Yamaha TS125
And assorted Yamaha 80’s, Honda 50’s and And Gyro

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
It’s Mine.... Very Cool Addition To The Garage Of Weidness.
Yamaha FZ1
Honda Grom
Harley Davidson Dyna
Harley Davidson XR1200
Yamaha TS125
And assorted Yamaha 80’s, Honda 50’s and And Gyro
Very good. I can see two Harley Dynas there, can’t I? One looks like a 2003 Anniversary Edition, and another red one? Maybe a Switchback?

And an XR1200 too? Very cool.

Welcome.
Ben

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes I did - Mine cost a scary $4699 + 1300 OTD though. Promptly bolted on a bunch of bolt parts and turned it to a bolt.
would love to see some pics of the conversion :)
been thinking of doing the same thing but cant find any pics on the web

·
Registered
229 Posts
would love to see some pics of the conversion :)
been thinking of doing the same thing but cant find any pics on the web
Cant believe I didn't post it here -
But hey, I "un"bolt"ed" it so its not SCR - its a SCRTloB. Rhymes with Heartrob.

When I "convert" things - you cant ever tell what it ever was. However If I throw stuff on - you can definitely tell, and that's sort of the point. I put in effort so you cant tell any different. It looks like it rolled out of the factory that way. The slapped on stuff is there to catch your eye and you go, ha that's some crap you did … missing the entire mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
srinath you have cleverly redefined the Dual Purpose motorcycle by creating a completely "asymmetrical" motorcycle as if it has a dividing line right between the tank and the seat. The front half looks like a scrambler and the back half looks like a cruiser.

You should put on some MX gloves, MX jersey, MX helmet and goggles. Pull on some blue jeans, black leather chaps, black Dingo boots, and a wallet on a chain. Then go riding and lean forward with your feet out on the back pegs. That way your riding apparel would be split right at the dividing line.

Would you do that and have someone take a picture for us?

Reactions: eddie and jobirobi

·
Registered
372 Posts
You should put on some MX gloves, MX jersey, MX helmet and goggles. Pull on some blue jeans, black leather chaps, black Dingo boots, and a wallet on a chain. Then go riding and lean forward with your feet out on the back pegs. That way your riding apparel would be split right at the dividing line.

I love this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
srinath you have cleverly redefined the Dual Purpose motorcycle by creating a completely "asymmetrical" motorcycle as if it has a dividing line right between the tank and the seat. The front half looks like a scrambler and the back half looks like a cruiser.

Would you do that and have someone take a picture for us?

LOL, a lot better than the cruiser/scrambler split side to side eh …
BTW I suspect SCRTloB has a bigger "ball" gap than any stock bolt - because the SCR frame may be a mm or 3 longer in that seat latch region. The extra thread bosses likely added a few mm to a bolt frame. Either that or I move a lot more on my bikes (possible cos I am a gerbil on caffeine compared to even people 1/2 my age) …
Anyway, its a pretty odd looking bike, but I should also say - its a pretty natural feeling bike if you're used to being an aggressive sporty rider comfortable in a scrunched up Valentino Rossi like position … then this genuinely feels like you're riding your Barcalounger … Wide bars, feet, butt and shoulders close together - all feel - right.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@srinath The result of your Frankensteining actually reminds me a lot of the Bonneville Bobber, with the seat bolted down instead of floating.
I'm not a huge fan of that super sanitized bobber-ated look … The Triumph bobber is 10 yrs too late to a party where the 40yr old crack ho was the hottest "chick" sorry, I ain't into tetanus shots just cos I don't remember what I touched last night … and all the triumph bobber does - is guarantee that the tetanus shot be administered by the fattest, ugliest and most sterile nurse on the planet … I would rather take my chances with the crack ho (administering the shot that is)

I knew the stock SCR was a major pain to ride, especially for my style of riding - moving like crazy front to back and side to side - so Knew it would have to be a cruiser - bolt was the lowest effort … and cheapest … and the most obvious choice at first pass … remember this was a hard core short and long distance commuter from day 1, 4500 miles in 3 months pretty much proves I did more than what I designed in the begining.

Only thing is - I never ever knew I'd love those bars so much, really was looking forward to getting the feel of my old virago 1100 … sorry old Yamaha fans, ain't not happening, buck horn bars are for bucks, real motorcycles have bars wide enough to make them not be able to fit in a barn except sideways …

·
Registered
229 Posts
You sure it was an SV ?

I saw ape hangers on a SV650 once.
Just when I thought I had the memory of that image sufficiently suppressed, something new takes it's place.
You sure it was an SV ? Cos I remember it being a katana 600 in the 2007-08 time frame. That was near Nashville TN area where the guy was "converting" it to a cruiser.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You sure it was an SV ? Cos I remember it being a katana 600 in the 2007-08 time frame. That was near Nashville TN area where the guy was "converting" it to a cruiser.
The SV was at Two Wheels of Suches (Was Two Wheels Only) campground in N. Ga.
I used to see all sorts of creative things there.
:grin2:
No, the baby didn't go on the road. Just the grassy areas of camp at a walking pace.
That's a photo of the very first gathering of V-Stroms in N. America that we know of. I invited the web group to a Transalp rally and we had more Suzukis than Hondas! I think we ended up with nearly 20 bikes that 1st event.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I saw that katana on craigslist near Nashville TN. Must have been inspired by the sv.
I think I am putting the SCRTloB into winter storage along with the rest of the bikes as well as getting batteries out and charging them etc etc. The pain of having to do that is why its going in storage.
If it was a quick remove and re-install like my GS I'd ride it several times in winter.
Should I wash with S100 and wax it before storage ? I've never stored anything before LOL. I got batteries out and kept em charged, but the bikes remained with a full tank ready to be run with 5 min work.

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
I saw that katana on craigslist near Nashville TN. Must have been inspired by the sv.
I think I am putting the SCRTloB into winter storage along with the rest of the bikes as well as getting batteries out and charging them etc etc. The pain of having to do that is why its going in storage.
If it was a quick remove and re-install like my GS I'd ride it several times in winter.
Should I wash with S100 and wax it before storage ? I've never stored anything before LOL. I got batteries out and kept em charged, but the bikes remained with a full tank ready to be run with 5 min work.
I was going to start a separate thread about this, just out of interest, but here seems as good a place as any.

So, for those not lucky enough to be able to ride all year round, what do you do to prep your bike for winter storage? I know there’s plenty of guys who simply park it up in November and leave it, crossing their fingers it’ll be alright come March.

For me:
- ensure the tank is brimmed at end of last ride.
- add some fuel stabiliser (probably excessive and unnecessary).
- thorough wash and polish.
- take the plugs out and spray a bit of misting oil in there (some people drop in a teaspoon of oil).
- remove battery (normally put this on charge every 3-4 weeks, for a day or so).
- lift the bike on my lift, so wheels are off the ground.
- cover.

There’s different schools of thought on the oil - I know many change it at this time, run the bike a bit to circulate the new oil (or remove and ground the plugs, and thumb the starter). People do this as they don’t want their engine sat with acidic ‘old’ oil in their engine all winter. I change it upon removing the bike from storage in spring, instead - might be right, might be wrong?!

Thoughts?
Ben

1 - 20 of 37 Posts