Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hated, hated, HATED the stock speedo. I read a lot of good things about the KOSO so I took the plunge. It's almost everything I could want.

Pluses:
1. The speedo comes reasonably well calibrated (at 64% tire size out of the box). Reads about .5mph slow at city speeds compared to GPS. Haven't taken it out on the highway yet.
2. The tach is responsive and easy to read.
3. The increased number of metrics - Temp, volts, etc. Great extra info!
4. Easier to see turn signal indicator
5. The gear position indicator actually works fairly well. I thought it might be gimmicky due to having to interpret the gear based on learning the RPMs/speed but it works. It Occasionally gets caught out at very low RPMs when the differential isn't large.
6. The lighting is better plus different colors
7. The installation is physically very straightforward and all the parts included in the kit worked as designed.

Minuses:
1. The instructions are functional but weirdly written, especially for the programming
2. Speedo size - I wish they had dedicated more space to the display. All or most of the things on the display could be a little bigger and the trip odo markings are minuscule.
3. The markings/display during the setup/programming are cryptic at best. Impossible to figure out without the manual.
4. This is a Yamaha problem, but accessing all the info with only a single button to press is a lot to ask

After a short ride tonight, I'm excited to use this every ride. I can't see ever going back to the stock unit. Yamaha should be embarrassed at what they installed on this bike. I have bicycle speedos that provide a better experience. I really wish they had just gone with dual analog clocks but you get what you get, I guess.

Has anyone else done this? If you've had it for a while, how is it holding up?

Does anyone know:
1. Where the temperature sensor is? What temp is this reading? I had assumed cylinder head temp but in my brief outing the numbers looked low for that. I'm used to seeing 350 to 425 degrees in piston airplanes but so far only low 200s on the bike.
2. Does the gas gauge actually "work"? Does it read a float and use that? or does it do some sort of weird interpretation like the gear indicator. I'm assuming that since the stock unit had a low fuel warning, there has to be a float that at least semi-accurately measures this, no?
3. Does the low fuel warning come on at roughly the same remaining miles? Or is it different and in what way?
Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument

·
Registered
SCR950, 2018
15 Posts
I've had Koso speedometer for a long time.
I am very satisfied, it works flawlessly.
I completely agree with your observations.
The temperature sensor, according to the instructions, is located in the cylinder head. The readings seem realistic to me.
When the fuel level drops to reserve it is shown on the Koso as well as on the original speedometer. Always at the same mileage. I assume there is a float.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had Koso speedometer for a long time.
I am very satisfied, it works flawlessly.
I completely agree with your observations.
The temperature sensor, according to the instructions, is located in the cylinder head. The readings seem realistic to me.
When the fuel level drops to reserve it is shown on the Koso as well as on the original speedometer. Always at the same mileage. I assume there is a float.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a sketch of the fuel reservoir, at number 39 is the Sender Unit Assy, Fuel Meter. View attachment 18898
I see. So looking up the part, it looks like there is no float assembly, just a sensor that triggers at a certain fuel level. That makes sense given the behavior of both the stock display and the KOSO. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to just look at the part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts