Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of the SCR950, the cruiser with a scrambler attitude. Not even a week and already 2k+ miles on the ODO. Not a perfect bike, but a good deal from Berts Megamall in Azusa, CA. Came in to buy another bike -a very dull one that is- and ended up with this beauty which reminded me of the XT500...one of several dream bikes of my youth. Glad to be part of a new community.

Q: why did Yamaha discontinued this bike here in the US and not in Europe? Anyone has any clue?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
New owner of the SCR950, the cruiser with a scrambler attitude. Not even a week and already 2k+ miles on the ODO. Not a perfect bike, but a good deal from Berts Megamall in Azusa, CA. Came in to buy another bike -a very dull one that is- and ended up with this beauty which reminded me of the XT500...one of several dream bikes of my youth. Glad to be part of a new community.

Q: why did Yamaha discontinued this bike here in the US and not in Europe? Anyone has any clue?
Welcome. No, it’s pretty much discontinued here too - it doesn’t feature in the brochures this year. There’s stil some available in dealers, as in the US, but they’re just trying to clear old stock.

Nice picture! We were going to go to Newcombs Ranch when we toured Cali, but the rental ended up not being ready for hours, so we had to skip it.

Q: what was the “dull” bike you originally went to buy?

Ben

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Welcome. No, it’s pretty much discontinued here too - it doesn’t feature in the brochures this year. There’s stil some available in dealers, as in the US, but they’re just trying to clear old stock.

Nice picture! We were going to go to Newcombs Ranch when we toured Cali, but the rental ended up not being ready for hours, so we had to skip it.

Q: what was the “dull” bike you originally went to buy?

Ben
Hi Ben,
Sorry for the late reply! the dull bike was a silver Honda CTX700 base model. I wanted to go for a reasonable bike for once.. but walking again past the SCR i just couldn't.
Already done a few mods: seatconcept cover, marlin Dart shield and Yamaha off road pegs. Looking to raise the handlebar a couple cm to an inch but not an easy find so far ( any idea welcome). The scr is not a perfect bike but i really dig the concept of the Bolt with a scrambler attitude. It is original and a pretty fine combination. Cheers!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hi Ben,
Sorry for the late reply! the dull bike was a silver Honda CTX700 base model. I wanted to go for a reasonable bike for once.. but walking again past the SCR i just couldn't.
Already done a few mods: seatconcept cover, marlin Dart shield and Yamaha off road pegs. Looking to raise the handlebar a couple cm to an inch but not an easy find so far ( any idea welcome). The scr is not a perfect bike but i really dig the concept of the Bolt with a scrambler attitude. It is original and a pretty fine combination. Cheers!
Ha! Yes - pretty bland then! But, I guess it depends what you are looking for, right? The SCR could never be bland tho - not in my eyes anyway.
Sorry, I’ve not looked into any risers, but I don’t imagine they’d be too hard to find? Pretty basic 7/8th bars and standard clamps surely wouldn’t be difficult to replace? Just make sure there’s plenty of excess cable/hose travel, and you shouldn’t have too much trouble, if you didn’t go too extreme. Has no one on here already fitted some risers?
Ben
Just my 2 cents worth.... I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and I prefer TALL bikes. As a matter of fact, I sold my '14 XR650L ( which had bar risers) and added $500 to buy my new SCR. As soon as I unloaded the SCR, I thought that the bars were way too low. I adjusted the bars up and took it for a ride. Turned right around and put them back to the original position. I have since adapted to this new " flat track " riding style and I love it! BTW, welcome to the forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts