Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only ever ridden dirt bikes and dualsports before, I had been thinking about getting a street bike for a while and then about a month ago all the oil dumped out of my KTM on the freeway. So I went to a Yamaha dealer to kick around some options, I mentioned I liked the SR400 and the salesman showed me his last SCR950. Picked it up today with 0 miles on it. It's an awesome bike, it feels so different from anything I've ever ridden before, I can't wait to put some miles on the clock!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've only ever ridden dirt bikes and dualsports before, I had been thinking about getting a street bike for a while and then about a month ago all the oil dumped out of my KTM on the freeway. So I went to a Yamaha dealer to kick around some options, I mentioned I liked the SR400 and the salesman showed me his last SCR950. Picked it up today with 0 miles on it. It's an awesome bike, it feels so different from anything I've ever ridden before, I can't wait to put some miles on the clock!
Wow. I can't believe there are dealers that still have new zero mile SCRs on the floor. Lucky for you I guess. Welcome to the forum. You might be the last one to acquire a new zero mile SCR.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting one of the ( if not ) last new SCRs left. Just curious what you paid... I'm sure that the values are going up as the supply dwindles. Enjoy! Jevers
I paid 8500 out the door, a little over 7k before taxes and fees and registration, I know they used to go for a lot less but bike prices in general are higher than they were just a few months ago and I figure, it's probably the last chance I'll ever get to own a new SCR950, so I'm happy with below MSRP out the door.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congrats.
That's about what I paid in canadian dollars a few months ago.
I too had dual sports and dirt bikes before the scr, I found it an easy transition to riding it, as you sit similarly on them and my butt is used to thin hard seats. That's part of why I bought it, it feels like a big, fat, lowered dual sport.
The scr feels really heavy when moving around parking lots or my garage but nice once moving. The shocks are horrible on dirt roads, dont hit pot holes fast, you will need to ride slower on dirt than you did on your dual sports, I miss the dual sports when the roads rough but spend so much time on roads that suit the scr its not a big deal.
I got used to the scr for a month then took my dr650 for a spin, I used to think the dr was tall and heavy but it feels tiny now lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi and welcome congratulations on your new bike, people often form opinions based hearsay / myths and of course the barroom know all.
Fortunately I have never met a powered two wheeler I don't like, I rode Honda cubs for years dispite having much more glamorous bikes in garage. I don't form opinions on bikes until I have at least 2K on clock my SCR is definitely growing on me and hopefully yours will two.
Never seen a gray one in the U.K. and I would have picked that colour myself.
Love the USA / Canada term " out the door" in the U.K. we always say " on the road" I have adopted this when I'm at work and serving customers.....
BUT my other bike is a jaffa Z900rs....
It is a zed 900 not a zee 900.
Many happy safe miles on your new bike keep posting to save the forum.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got home from about 100 miles ride from the town where the dealer is back to my town. I know the magazines and websites all tore this bike apart, but I'm in love! It's an extremely fun bike, and I feel like Steve McQueen riding it around, the pegs are little wide but I got used to that in a couple miles. All the other things that reviews seem to dislike weren't really issues for me, the airbox feels fine where it is, the seat feels about as good as any dirt bike seat I've ever sat on, pickup was good (it's not a sport bike but it has enough power to have fun) and the ground clearance didn't have me on the feelers (granted there aren't many real sharp turns ony way home).

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Welcome. Glad you like it! :)

Just to correct a couple of misconceptions though - a lot of the reviews from ‘recognised’ journos actually ranged from average/good……

……to quite complementary……

…….to positively complementary!!:

A lot of the ‘vloggers’ were less complementary…..but what do they know, eh….?!

Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.