Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking I might want to try lowering my SCR with the Yamaha Bolt lowering kit. Because I ride like an old fart, I'm not too worried about dragging my pegs or bottoming out. Has anyone, other than gallam03 tried this ?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Been thinking I might want to try lowering my SCR with the Yamaha Bolt lowering kit. Because I ride like an old fart, I'm not too worried about dragging my pegs or bottoming out. Has anyone, other than gallam03 tried this ?
I'm with you 100% Lee. I want to do the same thing. I hope to see some responses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm youngish, but have no issues taking it easy in the corners and low bikes probably wont hurt my riding style, I don't need it lowered but would like some info as well.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well, gonna give it a shot. Ordered my kit ($219) and should have it by this coming weekend. Stay tuned, film at 11
I find it odd that there is such a huge price spread on eBay for what appears to be identical kits. Everyone has the same exact photo in their add.

Reactions: eddie

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started the lowering process this morning, and I may stop here. Installed the rear shocks (easy to do, and a lift/stand of some sort is definitely needed), and took it off the lift for a "test fit". Had to put a 1x3 piece of wood under the rear tire to pull out my lift, which wasn't surprising (lift is 5" at lowest point). AND... WAIT FOR IT... I can now sit flat-footed on the seat :laugh: . The bike doesn't appear to have a rearward rake to it, and am not sure if the handling will be impaired, but I'm gonna forego the front fork springs for now. As an aside, the all-black shocks do give the bike a different appearance, sort of a semi-European flare

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Started the lowering process this morning, and I may stop here. Installed the rear shocks (easy to do, and a lift/stand of some sort is definitely needed), and took it off the lift for a "test fit". Had to put a 1x3 piece of wood under the rear tire to pull out my lift, which wasn't surprising (lift is 5" at lowest point). AND... WAIT FOR IT... I can now sit flat-footed on the seat :laugh: . The bike doesn't appear to have a rearward rake to it, and am not sure if the handling will be impaired, but I'm gonna forego the front fork springs for now. As an aside, the all-black shocks do give the bike a different appearance, sort of a semi-European flare
Don’t forget to check belt tension! Longer shocks slacken it off, so I imagine shorter ones may do the opposite......which you definitely don’t want.
Ben

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, thought about that, but don't have a tension gauge yet. The belt still has some up/down motion when pressed, maybe about 1/2" or so, without excessive force. For now, I may just slightly loosen the tensioning screws to give the belt some slack. Thanks for the heads-up

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lowering kit

Just installed this morning. Couple things...the handle bars have to come off (at least the ones I have do !!!). I just took the two 17mm
Acorn nuts off underneath the upper triple tree, slid them up and over my headlight and let them hang.
You have to remove a lot of shock oil to get the measurement right.
Since installing a 19” rear wheel the bike was too high. It’s perfect now.
The ride is much stiffer, tons of front grip. Have the rear preload in the middle, might soften up another notch. The best way for me to describe the difference it’s like going from a street car to a race car. If that floats your boat. Great deal for $219.00
Love it :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
So is there a lowering solution that works like the baron’s rise up kit? Move either the top or bottom attachment point in order to achieve a lower bike with stock shocks? Most of the long travel shocks are too long for the SCR950. I want to raise the bike about 0.75” and get more travel, but my options are around 2” of lift, or more.

So I’m thinking a lowering bracket with a longer shock may end up being perfect - especially because some of those longer shocks have a height adjustment.

Charles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts