Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all, I'm Sky. I've been riding since I was a little kid. I have owned A LOT of bike (pics of a few attached). I just bought a 2017 SCR950. I am getting to the age that I'm not longer interested in sports bikes and I'm not a huge cruiser guy. My SCR is stock and has never been laid over. A 71yr old man owed it. He had fallen and was bound to a walker so he decided to sell it. I'm not looking to to do much to it's looks, I like the look. But I would love to drop weight on it. Since the aftermarket seems to be trash for these, I decided I better see what the forums have. Here are some pics..
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

And here are a few of my other rides..
Plant Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Welcome……

Just a couple of bikes, then…….?? :ROFLMAO:

Is the grey one with the red frame an Aprilla Shiver? Always liked those …… a guy at work used to have one…..sounded the nuts on aftermarket pipes.

I used to have a black Honda Hornet too (albeit the 600) - great all round bike.

Best way to drop weight from an SCR is to take off a wheel, and ride it as a unicycle:ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a shiver, good eye. I went through a whole Italian phase. Owned a Duc Monster, Duc Panigale, Vespa and that Shiver. I learned that Italian bikes are trash.
I see a lot of pointless heavy stuff on the bike, was hoping owners had remedied it by now but I guess I'll give it a go. I'm a engineer, CAD drafter, and novice machinist. So I can try making some things, or break some bits trying.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
It is a shiver, good eye. I went through a whole Italian phase. Owned a Duc Monster, Duc Panigale, Vespa and that Shiver. I learned that Italian bikes are trash.
I see a lot of pointless heavy stuff on the bike, was hoping owners had remedied it by now but I guess I'll give it a go. I'm a engineer, CAD drafter, and novice machinist. So I can try making some things, or break some bits trying.
A few people have removed the sub-frame supporting the seat, which Yamaha added over the Bolt. Others have chopped the rear off completely! Have a look thru the forum - there’s some examples of both. Look forward to seeing what you come up with (y)

Ben

Reactions: skyshadow07

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome Sky, It sure is great to see a new member from THIS side of the pond! I have done a few mods to my SCR, but with very little weight loss (just like me!). Check out the many posts on this forum and you'll be inspired. Good luck and please keep us updated with pics. Jevers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Afternoon all, I'm Sky. I've been riding since I was a little kid. I have owned A LOT of bike (pics of a few attached). I just bought a 2017 SCR950. I am getting to the age that I'm not longer interested in sports bikes and I'm not a huge cruiser guy. My SCR is stock and has never been laid over. A 71yr old man owed it. He had fallen and was bound to a walker so he decided to sell it. I'm not looking to to do much to it's looks, I like the look. But I would love to drop weight on it. Since the aftermarket seems to be trash for these, I decided I better see what the forums have. Here are some pics.. View attachment 18619
View attachment 18618
And here are a few of my other rides..
View attachment 18625
View attachment 18626
View attachment 18624
View attachment 18623
View attachment 18622
View attachment 18621
View attachment 18620
Welcome Sky
Good luck with the the diet, although most of the significant weight is that 950 V twin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally just bought my SCR950 this last week got it with 1200 miles on it. I’m looking at maybe doing adding a tooth in the rear for highway and I was wanting a little more noise from the exhaust but nothing crazy. Also debating on switching out the belt system altogether and making it chain anyone have any tips?
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's a 1 tooth bigger front pulley to lower revs on the highway, I think it's off a v star 1300.
Bigger on the rear sprocket/pulley raises rpm at speed, I doubt you want that. I didnt look into this much as I dont ride much at highway speeds.

Most are happy with drilling a 1 1/2 inch hole through the baffle in the stock pipe.
I did that first and it's a good improvement without being too loud, now I have a delkevic pipe, it has a nice deep tone but is a little too loud.
look this stuff up on you tube, the bolt is 99% the same so the motor mods done to it apply to the scr.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I finally just bought my SCR950 this last week got it with 1200 miles on it. I’m looking at maybe doing adding a tooth in the rear for highway and I was wanting a little more noise from the exhaust but nothing crazy. Also debating on switching out the belt system altogether and making it chain anyone have any tips? View attachment 18664
I finally just bought my SCR950 this last week got it with 1200 miles on it. I’m looking at maybe doing adding a tooth in the rear for highway and I was wanting a little more noise from the exhaust but nothing crazy. Also debating on switching out the belt system altogether and making it chain anyone have any tips? View attachment 18664
I wouldn't mess with stock setup for pulleys and belt. It'll run highway speeds all day, everyday. You just gotta get used to it.

As for the exhaust, 1.5" bi-metal holesaw with 12" extension. Done.

Do it!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ben too busy on gator patrol for your other boy, Schu!😉 I think the list for interested chain drive parties is up to... 2. I'm not 1 of the 2. The local gentleman I talked to said he would need a test mule. I think that might be the fly in the ointment. Sorry, but yet another dead end in sourcing after market accessories for an obscure motorcycle. I should know, after buying my Bonneville when everyone else was buying jap bikes. Jevers

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the belt drive, I look at it every oil change but havent touched it yet other than when I put the barron raise up kit on which made it too loose.
If I had a chain I'd have to lube it every few rides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Chopped about 8 inches off the back of the muffler, mostly a change for looks but also repacked the muffler with woven fiber for a thump tone.
Hopped on my mill and cut out a side plate mount so I could eliminate the 'fender'.
I think my number one mod so far has to be the Protaper CR mid handle bars with Protaper pillow top grips. Looks great, feels great... love it all around.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
View attachment 18668
View attachment 18669

Chopped about 8 inches off the back of the muffler, mostly a change for looks but also repacked the muffler with woven fiber for a thumb tone.
Hopped on my mill and cut out a side plate mount so I could eliminate the 'fender'.
I think my number one mod so far has to be the Protaper CR mid handle bars with Protaper pillow top grips. Looks great, feels great... love it all around.
I like the changes. Especially the shortened muffler. Do you cut out a center section and weld it back together? I assume that is how you retain the ability to reinstall the outlet cap.
Did you know your front fender is backwards? People usually point that out right off the bat, but I don’t recall anybody mentioning yet.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was totally unaware. I have to wonder why the old man I bought it from flipped it. I bet he didn't. I bet a tire tech did on accident or something. Good looking out.

As for the muffler, yeah I unbolted the cap and cut a seam right behind (you can see the TIG weld in the pic). Then I pulled all internals out, separated end cap from baffling, shortened the same amount, repacked and TIG'd it all back together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In other news, Anyone privy to what this is? I'm working on a throttle body mod but this is a very unique TB. Is that the MAF sensor? Or is it a idle control valve?
Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Rim Auto part Circle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts