Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I just bought a SCR950 (a service bike from the dealer) and started searching for some help online, regarding all the usual stuff, namely the eventual issues and particularities regarding this model.

I’m from Portugal, and I’ve been riding for more then 30 years and have had many bikes over the course of my riding life. The SCR is going to be friends with my Supertenere and my 18yo XT600e, and was bought as a bike for short (and long?) trips around Europe.

To start of my request for help, can someone help me and tell me their experience regarding the fuel autonomy of the bike. In my calculations, and having a 13liter tank it should do about 220/240 kms (the reserve light comes on about 180kms from full). Is that right in your experience? I’ve been extra careful but I’d like to know what is the experience of your guys (and girls) to figure out if I can go on longer trips without an issue (given the fact that it doesn’t have a fuel gauge).

Thank you in advance,

·
Registered
884 Posts
Welcome!

The fuel range you mention is about what I was getting so long as I kept the speeds at/below 105-110km/h.
The SCR seat is a common early modification. Complete aftermarket ones plus do-it-yourself cover & foam kits are available.
I have had good luck with Seat Concepts cover & foam kits on three bikes, now.

A Super Tenere, too? Cool!
I have a 2012 XTZ12BB, myself!

-eddie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. For me, owning the two (the SCR and the xtz) is ideal! Im going to try and take the SCR on a 1000kms trip soon and figure out how to calculate the refuel necessities . I’ll try to fill up every 180/200 kms.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Welcome fellow European!!

Check out this thread:

https://www.scr950forum.com/forum/1...sion/2745-how-far-have-you-gone-low-fuel.html

I’ve been recording mileage and mpg (litre, actually) pretty much since getting the bike. I have a load more figures to add to those already on this thread - I was actually going to make a pretty graph, but it’s on one of those lists which never gets done!

I’m less zealous about it this year, but recorded pretty much every fill-up I did in 2017 and 2018. There were some wild anomalies (who knows why), but I think - on average - you’re going to want to be seriously looking for fuel around the 130-135 mile mark.

One day, I’ll get that graph done.........
Ben

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I had the stock gauge (which overestimated odometry by about 10%), and I was on my best behavior, I would be able to go about 150 miles (but it was actually 135) or ~240 km (actually ~215) per tank. Now I have a more accurate Koso gauge, and when I am not on my best behavior, I'll get more like 100 miles or ~161 km. So... you'll want to gather your own data, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
When I had the stock gauge (which overestimated odometry by about 10%), and I was on my best behavior, I would be able to go about 150 miles (but it was actually 135) or ~240 km (actually ~215) per tank. Now I have a more accurate Koso gauge, and when I am not on my best behavior, I'll get more like 100 miles or ~161 km. So... you'll want to gather your own data, I guess.
100 miles??......to a tank?? Not really much use without some reference point..... :confused:

How much are you putting in each time, or are you riding it until it’s completely empty each time??
Ben

·
Registered
372 Posts
100 miles??......to a tank?? Not really much use without some reference point..... :confused:

How much are you putting in each time, or are you riding it until it’s completely empty each time??
Ben
That's extrapolating. I don't actually run to empty. Each time I fill up, I estimate my average fuel efficiency since the last fill. I'm basing my maximum range on how far that efficiency gets me on 3 gallons. The worst I've ever calculated was about 33 miles per gallon, and the best was about 50. Hence, 100-150 mile range. It has trended downward over time (I've got over 15,000 miles now), the Koso means my numbers took an immediate 10% hit, and maybe that 33 mpg was an outlier, who knows. I don't remember when it happened, maybe the wife and I took a long 2-up ride that weekend...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts