Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

New Owner First Impressions

12K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  TheScrambled 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new 2017 SCR95M here in Arizona with last 4 VIN #0045. It was the first at the dealership and had been there only one week. It doesn't suffer the extra emissions plumbing of the California model. The classic retro look immediately appealed, as my first bike was a two-stroke twin Suzuki street scrambler in 1969 with upswept pipes being the only concession to dirt. Since then I've had a multitude of bikes, including the venerable Yamaha SR500 then a Ducati 350 scrambler and ultimate bevel-drive desmo 900 twin.

Anyway, I know my way around motorcycles and became a mechanic to deal with the foibles of my British Velocette and Matchless 500cc singles back in the day. I recently owned a 2010 HD Sportster Iron 883 that is similar to the Yamaha SCR but far less civilized with more mechanical and exhaust noise, vibration, gear clunk and jarring suspension.

The SCR looks sold me in the showroom and I bought it without a test ride knowing the reliability established by the Bolt 950 motor. My first ride exceeded expectations with the crisp fuel injection, torque, neutral handling, and comfortable layout. Well, the seat gets tiring after an hour and there's not much room to adjust foot position, but the overall balance is excellent for a traditional rider like me. I wasn't troubled by tire howl or excessive mirror vibration like others have mentioned.

Yamaha accessories - I couldn't resist the clear windshield, skid plate and Adventure saddlebags, so these are on order. Also the factory service manual is available so I'll get a copy to keep up on most maintenance armed with the proper information. Not that much needs attention other than routine tire air pressure, drive belt tension, wheel alignment and oil + filter changes.

My background as a research chemist convinced me the Yamaha 10W-40 SJ / MA oil is good enough, especially during break in. Never mind what the BITOG forum OCD types say. With ceramic cylinders there's no real issue with break in for the cylinder wall or piston rings, unlike the old days with honed iron liners. The one caution I'll remind owners is the problem with E-10 fuel, especially when stale. Ethanol content leads to water absorption, phase separation and corrosion. I add the Yamaha Engine / Fuel Med Rx additive that is a good product, unlike many other "snake oil" additives that are mostly isopropanol.

Well, I've rambled on long enough as a first-time visitor, so hope to learn and share here on this site. Cheers, TC

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the group & list of new owners!
Like yourself, I had a Sportster (XL1200R) and even though it had the rubber-mounted engine, it rode rough and the SCR's ride quality beats it by a good measure.
The tire howl I kinda like. The mirror shake unfortunately only seems to manifest itself right when I need a clear view of what's behind me for changing lanes, etc...
I still look back out of habit. So, it's not a deal breaker. Just something that might be addressed later.
The general vibes aren't intrusive. To me, they just remind me something's going on below, making decent power and contributing to an enjoyable ride.
I stuck a small Trail Tech TTO tach/hour meter on the other day and the 950's not even turning 3k rpm at 55mph.
This will sound goofy, but this bike's the most fun I've had going so slow!
Back roads just playing around, I'll look down and be shocked to see "49" on the speedometer!
LOL

#3 ·
Thanks Eddie. I was wondering what rpm's the motor turned. It has the relaxed, lazy feel of a classic V-twin with ample torque, so there's no need to rev it unduly. I remember constantly rowing the gearbox on my old two strokes to stay within a narrow power band! The rougher image and mechanical essence of Harleys once appealed but got tiring real quick out on the road. There is no perfect motorcycle but the Yamaha SCR950 sure hits the sweet spot for me.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new scr950! One common gripe seems to be the uncomfortable seat but I'm sure you can jimmy up something as you seem quite handy.

Noticed that you had a Ducati Scrambler, that seems to be a very popular model these days so I'm interested to hear how the two compares.

#5 ·
Ducati Scrambler (Original)

Actually, my Ducati scrambler was the real deal as you can see from the picture. This was in 1985 after my full restoration, so I have no basis to compare the latest incarnation. As for the Yamaha's seat, I like the long, low look but suffer the consequences of minimal padding. I await some practical and attractive suggestions. Cheers, TC

Attachments

#8 ·
Actually, my Ducati scrambler was the real deal as you can see from the picture. This was in 1985 after my full restoration, so I have no basis to compare the latest incarnation. As for the Yamaha's seat, I like the long, low look but suffer the consequences of minimal padding. I await some practical and attractive suggestions. Cheers, TC

With THAT being the case i'm surprised you didn't go for the new Scrambler. I bet there's a ton of new Duc Scrambler owners wanting to see the new and old side by side in a garage :D (me too... sort of)

#6 ·
That Ducati scrambler is a beauty and reminds me of how good we have it these days in terms of seat comfort. I don't think there's any aftermarket seats out yet but you can try adding comfort gel to the stock one if you don't mind cutting into it a bit. Or you can try custom ordering one but that'll cost a bit more than average.

#9 ·
Well I've finally got some riding time the last few days and even 260 miles today. My impression is pretty good so far for a $6999 bike. Power is nice even in break-in mode. Suspension feels good unless I miss seeing those big dips in the road and I can bottom out the rear. Gearbox shifts as smooth as any bike I have owned. Haven't put my skid plate on yet & kinda think I want a Windshield. Fuel mileage around 50 mpg. The seat is good for 45 minutes then I get off about every 1/2 hour for a few minutes. Going to put a Coleman pad on the seat like I did for the KLR which will help a lot. all in all, rides pretty good. Fastest on freeway today was 73 mph but it really smooth's out at 60-64 mph with little vibration at that speed. Total miles now is 400 on odometer. Almost time for it's first service.

Just my .02

#11 ·
I only bottom the rear once and a while, very infrequent. The forks are fine for now. Knowing that it's not made to really made go off road I think it will be a great commuter. Everywhere I stop people really notice it and ask a lot of questions.....Just need to find a luggage rack that I can put my Iron Rider bag on that I put my lunch in for work....Surprised no aftermarket rack not out there yet?.....Painting the Skid Plate black before putting it on today...........:)

#16 ·
Too bad these days bikes are no where near as simple since that plays heavily into how design is done. For this reason I think as the bike industry develops and bikes become more advanced we'll see a reluctance from some people to go that direction, or some wanting some of the past and present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.