Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there SCRers!

New owner here, well, a month in and 1200 miles on the clock.

I’m from England and ride about 12000 - 14000 miles per year in all weathers. Biking is life!

So I’m loving the bike. It’s beautiful, and retro, and has loads of low down torque. Plenty of road presence.

Took a bit to run in the engine. Went careful(ish) for the first 600, and then started working the rev range more fully. The engine has loosened up a lot but I feel it still has a way to go. This is good, as I think it indicates a solid and robust engine.

I’m experiencing some issues with the vibrations though, I think. Although it may be due to bar position vs my personal physical characteristics. Basically, though, I’ve had quite severe ‘pins and needles’ or numbness and tingling in my legs and arms. And also the ‘shakes’ on occasion when off the bike.

I ride 130 miles every Friday night and every Monday morning (which takes about two and a half hours per ride). I’m fine whilst riding, but for the following few days I seem to pay for it. First I had to get up in a work meeting due to a strong tingling running down from my backside and right into the soles of my feet. That seemed to go after the first couple of rides - but it then seemed to gravitate to my arms. I have woken up on a number of occasions with numbness in my pinkie finger and ring finger of my right arm and a sort of aching on the inside of my arm below the elbow, and also on the inside of the middle of my upper arm - I guess between my biceps and triceps. This often continues on and off throughout the day with tingling running down my arm. The left arm seems ok, but I did get the shakes in both arms whilst chilling on the couch one Sunday afternoon.

The dealer spoke to Yamaha and they apparently said that I’d “picked the wrong bike” and should have gone for something like a Tracer700. Great bikes, I’m sure, but I wanted belt drive for convenience, a big V-twin, and oodles of low down torque (without giving a toss about BHP). And, of course, a massive amount of style and retro cool.

So, is it the vibrations, which are becoming less intense as the engine loosens? Or could it be arm position due to the bars?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I fully intended to modify the bike. I’m not sure how heavily yet. So, I have no problem with replacing bars, suspension, tires or anything really.

I love the bike and look forward to ‘taming’ it soon!

:smile2:

P.S. Here’s a few ‘arty’ pics

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome! I once rode my Bonneville about 1,200 miles over the course of 2 days in cold weather. I had no feeling in my thumbs for a few days after. My advice to you is.... if don't experience the tingling and numbness whilst (see what I did there?) riding, quit working and sleeping!
Seriously, it sounds like a pinched nerve, with that pain going down your leg. Good luck! Jevers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, I'm also in the UK and own a black scr 😎 I find it very comfortable, no aches or pains at all. I bought mine secondhand with only 198 miles on the clock at a great price. The first thing I changed was the bars to Renthals, I'm 6ft 2 and still found them too wide for my liking. I came to buy the scr because of knee problems, due to sports and work. My right knee was too cramped up on my last bike (Bandit 1250) and hobbled about for 5 to 10 minutes after getting off. I think it could be medical as it's the first I've heard of it being very vibey.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Welcome! Whereabouts are you? I’m up in Yorkshire, and @franksy is over on the east coast up here too. Apart from us, there aren’t really any Brits active on the forum (are there?!) Don't think you’ll be at any risk re running in to many other SCRs whilst out and about either - not seen one other (apart from the aforementioned Franksy) in two years of ownership. Most other bikers are just confused when I speak to them, and ask what the **** it is?!

You do sound like you’ve got some issues though, and surely they can’t all be attributable to the bike (can they?!). Having said that, they are pretty vibrational - my old man hated it when he had a go. Remember, it’s a solid mounted v-twin - ****, even Harley eventually rubber-mounted their engines. It may improve a bit with miles (I’ve got 5k now, which you sound like you’ll soon pass), but it still shakes. I’ve put Renthals on mine, with a cross brace as well, which definitely reduces the vibes at the bars (the mirrors are now usable at speed, for one), but don’t think it’s going to suddenly turn into an in-line-4! (I think the Renthals also help as they are alloy, so seem to resonate less).

If you think it could be bar position, well, it takes nothing to loosen the clamps and try a few different positions.

Let us know how you get on, and stay in touch.
Ben

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ha! My post obviously took slightly longer than @franksy ‘s to write!! :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ha! My post obviously took slightly longer than @franksy ‘s to write!! /forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png/forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png/forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
@SCRBen only because I can't use more than one finger due to my Mars Bar fingers 🤣

Could be the a suspension issue too? I found that after I'd fitted my risers, that I went down a notch on the shocks as I felt (could be in my head with the voices 🤯) that it felt stiffer...?

I know the you mentioned your physical characteristics and that could play a part i.e height, weight and build etc. I'm 16 stone whereas I'm sure @SCRBen is 16 stone wet through with a couple of bags of spuds in his rucksack 🤣

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with Jevers, it sounds like a pinched nerve or something. I'm no M.D., though; you should speak with one when you can (side note, I wish we had single-payer healthcare...).

I've had shooting pains in one leg from time to time, too, which we are still trying to figure out. One theory related to the SCR is that the airbox forces me to sit asymmetrically, and that put my tailbone and/or sacroiliac joint out of alignment. My chiropractor rides a motorcycle as well; I was so glad when I found him! He recommended stretching multiple times per day. Cat-cow followed by sideways bending - like this https://www.tummee.com/yoga-poses/cat-pose-variation-waist-side-bending

That all said, I don't know how to help with the arms, since I haven't experienced that myself. Sometimes my hands/fingers get numb riding my bicycle but I haven't had those issues riding the SCR. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! I once rode my Bonneville about 1,200 miles over the course of 2 days in cold weather. I had no feeling in my thumbs for a few days after. My advice to you is.... if don't experience the tingling and numbness whilst (see what I did there?) riding, quit working and sleeping!
Seriously, it sounds like a pinched nerve, with that pain going down your leg. Good luck! Jevers
Haha! That’s it, Jevers, just keep riding and never stop...no problem then!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I'm also in the UK and own a black scr 😎 I find it very comfortable, no aches or pains at all. I bought mine secondhand with only 198 miles on the clock at a great price. The first thing I changed was the bars to Renthals, I'm 6ft 2 and still found them too wide for my liking. I came to buy the scr because of knee problems, due to sports and work. My right knee was too cramped up on my last bike (Bandit 1250) and hobbled about for 5 to 10 minutes after getting off. I think it could be medical as it's the first I've heard of it being very vibey.
Nice tidy-up, sharp looking bike man! Yeah, been looking at the Renthal Streetfighter bars. They note that their bars are great for reducing vibration and it seems that you can put bar end plugs in too, which you can’t with the OEMs. I want to fit heated grips because I’m an all year rounder and don’t have another vehicle - hence the mileage.

You could be right, gonna check it out with the doc. It can’t be a coincidence that it started as soon as I swapped bikes though, surely? I was riding a little Honda Rebel bobber thing prior to getting the SCR and I had no discomfort at all with that - and have never had it before in a 13 odd bike history over the years.

We’ll see I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! Whereabouts are you? I’m up in Yorkshire, and @franksy is over on the east coast up here too. Apart from us, there aren’t really any Brits active on the forum (are there?!) Don't think you’ll be at any risk re running in to many other SCRs whilst out and about either - not seen one other (apart from the aforementioned Franksy) in two years of ownership. Most other bikers are just confused when I speak to them, and ask what the **** it is?!

You do sound like you’ve got some issues though, and surely they can’t all be attributable to the bike (can they?!). Having said that, they are pretty vibrational - my old man hated it when he had a go. Remember, it’s a solid mounted v-twin - ****, even Harley eventually rubber-mounted their engines. It may improve a bit with miles (I’ve got 5k now, which you sound like you’ll soon pass), but it still shakes. I’ve put Renthals on mine, with a cross brace as well, which definitely reduces the vibes at the bars (the mirrors are now usable at speed, for one), but don’t think it’s going to suddenly turn into an in-line-4! (I think the Renthals also help as they are alloy, so seem to resonate less).

If you think it could be bar position, well, it takes nothing to loosen the clamps and try a few different positions.

Let us know how you get on, and stay in touch.
Ben
I’m down in Bristol, Ben.

Yeah, gonna chat with doc, maybe run a few tests - I’m probably due an MOT myself to be fair. Renthals will happen ASAP, and I’m going to swap out the tyres for some decent sports touring ones. May get the lowering kit too. I’m only 5’7”, so although I can ride it, it might be a bit ‘tall’ for me, although It’s ok once moving and I don’t often have to put a foot down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Jevers, it sounds like a pinched nerve or something. I'm no M.D., though; you should speak with one when you can (side note, I wish we had single-payer healthcare...).

I've had shooting pains in one leg from time to time, too, which we are still trying to figure out. One theory related to the SCR is that the airbox forces me to sit asymmetrically, and that put my tailbone and/or sacroiliac joint out of alignment. My chiropractor rides a motorcycle as well; I was so glad when I found him! He recommended stretching multiple times per day. Cat-cow followed by sideways bending - like this https://www.tummee.com/yoga-poses/cat-pose-variation-waist-side-bending

That all said, I don't know how to help with the arms, since I haven't experienced that myself. Sometimes my hands/fingers get numb riding my bicycle but I haven't had those issues riding the SCR. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
That’s an interesting point about the air box. All the reviewers bitched about it, but I’ve honestly not noticed. I stand up at times on the M-way to stretch-out (usually when I hit a 50mph road maintenance restriction) and it just isn’t an issue for me.

I’ve been reading some interesting things online about the various conditions that could be causing my symptoms and one poor guy ended up getting diagnosed with MS from a similar biking situation. I’m trying not to be paranoid though, and currently leaning with jangled/pinched nerves that will hopefully settle down as I adjust to the bike and the bike loosens up.

An interesting point about the exercise too, I used to be quite fit and physically active until about a year ago when I started working in London in the week whilst living in Bristol at the weekends. I have put on a ton of weight since then and I wonder whether that, combined with a loss of muscle tone could be contributing somehow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice tidy-up, sharp looking bike man! Yeah, been looking at the Renthal Streetfighter bars. They note that their bars are great for reducing vibration and it seems that you can put bar end plugs in too, which you can’t with the OEMs. I want to fit heated grips because I’m an all year rounder and don’t have another vehicle - hence the mileage.

You could be right, gonna check it out with the doc. It can’t be a coincidence that it started as soon as I swapped bikes though, surely? I was riding a little Honda Rebel bobber thing prior to getting the SCR and I had no discomfort at all with that - and have never had it before in a 13 odd bike history over the years.

We’ll see I guess.
Thanks 👍

I once traded in a 600 Bandit for a Hornet 900 and after awhile started with back pain. I visited the quacks and he said I'd slipped a disc!

After around 6 to 7 months I got rid and bought a Yam XT660X and what a difference it made. You couldn't keep me off the thing.

The only reason a changed bikes after that, was only due to lack of speed. All my mates had sport bike or big nakeds and I wasn't able to do the miles they were doing in the short time frame I had due to having family commitments.

I bought a 1250 Bandit which was great, it was the longest I'd owned a bike ( 7 years ). Then due to my job, my knee eventually gave in and I needed surgery.

The Scr ticks all the boxes for me now that I'm 45. Don't need a fast bike these days, too many unmarked Busa's, ZX10's, Speed Triples and helicopters where I live. 👮‍♂️

Hope you get to the bottom of it and enjoy the ride. 👍

·
Registered
372 Posts
An interesting point about the exercise too, I used to be quite fit and physically active until about a year ago when I started working in London in the week whilst living in Bristol at the weekends. I have put on a ton of weight since then and I wonder whether that, combined with a loss of muscle tone could be contributing somehow.
For my issue, keeping active helps a lot. The worst it ever got was when I was down with a kidney infection, sitting on the sofa all day for about a week. No bueno.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts