Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!

I'm John, I'm a newer rider and just bought an SCR in January 2021. I've put over 1,000 miles on it already in the cold Nebraska winter and spring. It's been a dream come true, absolutely love this bike. I did remove the license plate frame so far, and changed my mirrors out for lower profile ones. I purchased a Vance & Hines exhaust but not sure if it'll work or not at this point, it's still being shipped. Want to change the air filter as well and that's about all the mods I want to do for now. Maybe a cooler speedometer in the future, Idk.

I had a 1981 Suzuki GS650 back in 2007 but only got to learn how to ride and enjoy about a week on it before I blew the fork seals and crashed it. Trying to repair it would've cost me more than the bike itself cost (doing repairs myself!) so I abandoned that project and never had a chance to ride again until now. So I'm happy I held out until I could buy something that won't break down right away, and looks good, and has some balls to boot! Stay safe out there!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shoot forgot to mention - Also pictured is my wife's 2016 SR400. She just had it delivered a few weeks ago and is learning to ride on it. It's been a fun little bike too! The kickstart sure is a pain for someone whose not used to mechanical things though :)

She will get it here eventually hahaha.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shoot forgot to mention - Also pictured is my wife's 2016 SR400. She just had it delivered a few weeks ago and is learning to ride on it. It's been a fun little bike too! The kickstart sure is a pain for someone whose not used to mechanical things though :)

She will get it here eventually hahaha.
As long as you can live with the seat you won't regret getting one (depending on what type of riding you do).
They're great lazy fun and attract much attention - especially from non bikers.
Your wife made a great choice too.
I would have considered the 400 but am too tall.
Enjoy yourselves and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're great lazy fun and attract much attention -
As long as you can live with the seat you won't regret getting one (depending on what type of riding you do).
They're great lazy fun and attract much attention - especially from non bikers.
Your wife made a great choice too.
I would have considered the 400 but am too tall.
Enjoy yourselves and welcome aboard!
Thanks I agree. I am cool with the seat so far, it's been fine for me. I'm just riding around town and commuting to work and whatnot.

The SR400 is a cool bike, and hers is in mint condition. We had it shipped up from North Carolina to Nebraska. I took it out for a ride when she got it and there's no way I'd drive one simply due to the size, lack of power, and speed. It's fun to drive but it's too small and doesn't have enough OOMPH after driving the 950!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hey everyone!!

I'm John, I'm a newer rider and just bought an SCR in January 2021. I've put over 1,000 miles on it already in the cold Nebraska winter and spring. It's been a dream come true, absolutely love this bike. I did remove the license plate frame so far, and changed my mirrors out for lower profile ones. I purchased a Vance & Hines exhaust but not sure if it'll work or not at this point, it's still being shipped. Want to change the air filter as well and that's about all the mods I want to do for now. Maybe a cooler speedometer in the future, Idk.

I had a 1981 Suzuki GS650 back in 2007 but only got to learn how to ride and enjoy about a week on it before I blew the fork seals and crashed it. Trying to repair it would've cost me more than the bike itself cost (doing repairs myself!) so I abandoned that project and never had a chance to ride again until now. So I'm happy I held out until I could buy something that won't break down right away, and looks good, and has some balls to boot! Stay safe out there!!!

View attachment 17913 View attachment 17914 View attachment 17915 View attachment 17916
Welcome to the forum John!
Glad you like your SCR. We need the boost on this forum. It used to be really active a few years ago, but it has died out considerably. Many of our active members have since moved away from the SCR, and the few remaining old timers will probably do the same soon.

Your bike looks great, and I have only one suggestion to improve the looks. See that little kink in your fork boot. Just pinch the pleat on either side of that kink out pull outwards. Poof, the kink is gone. Sorry, but kinked fork gators drive me nuts. I actually fix them on strangers bikes when I see it. I need help.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi and welcome from the U.K., enjoying mine 1500 miles on clock now, heavy bike but once moving she is fine.
Many happy safe miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum John!
Glad you like your SCR. We need the boost on this forum. It used to be really active a few years ago, but it has died out considerably. Many of our active members have since moved away from the SCR, and the few remaining old timers will probably do the same soon.

Your bike looks great, and I have only one suggestion to improve the looks. See that little kink in your fork boot. Just pinch the pleat on either side of that kink out pull outwards. Poof, the kink is gone. Sorry, but kinked fork gators drive me nuts. I actually fix them on strangers bikes when I see it. I need help.....
View attachment 17920
Haha thanks for the tip! I have done the same several times when working on it. I get those kinks out, just didn't notice them before posting the picture! Thanks for the tip again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome from the U.K., enjoying mine 1500 miles on clock now, heavy bike but once moving she is fine.
Many happy safe miles.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm just over 1,500 miles on mine too! It is a bit heavy, but it's been a blast to ride so far!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey everyone!!

View attachment 17913 View attachment 17914 View attachment 17915 View attachment 17916
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm just over 1,500 miles on mine too! It is a bit heavy, but it's been a blast to ride so far!
Welcome John! If you do change both the exhaust and intake, make damned sure you either get your ECU reflashed by Ivan (if Schu wasn't so obsessed with those kinks in your gators, he would have told you the same thing), or add a fuel/air programmer. Good luck, be safe and enjoy! Jevers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts