Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was looking at all the different seat possibilities, even looked into changing out the seat, subframe, fender to the stock bolt set up to help save my ass the discomfort of the stock seat. Ultimately I bought this over the bolt because of the retro lines and styling so I kept it an act and bought the seat concepts cover and foam kit. I installed it tonight after a trip to the store for the 1/4" staples rather than the 1/2" long ones I had, they shot through the seat pan oops. Got that sorted and the install went okay for my 1st time, I love the brown look vs the black.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Looks good!!

I had fun finding stainless steel staples locally.
They were sort of hidden at Home Depot. =)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yeah, I had to buy a new manual staple gun at Home Depot as well, the electric one from harbor freight didn't like all the seat pan angles. So grateful my Home Depot is 10 min away and stays open until 10pm most nights. Also today was the 1st ride with it, nothing but good things to say, giant improvement from stock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a PowerShot! staple gun, and after I searched, found, and bought stainless staples, I realized I already had some! Doh.

Yeah, I have the black seat concepts one, and it was a major improvement. I was thinking it should have been a little softer when I first got on it, but after a little time, I think it's just right, not too soft, not too hard.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I had to buy a new manual staple gun at Home Depot as well, the electric one from harbor freight didn't like all the seat pan angles. So grateful my Home Depot is 10 min away and stays open until 10pm most nights. Also today was the 1st ride with it, nothing but good things to say, giant improvement from stock.
I must've gotten a different air stapler from HF.
It tackled the SCR950 and NC750X seats with ease.
A few times it wanted to give me a bit of grief, but did well.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Do you just remove stock cover and foam and staple this on? Seems easy, was it quick?
Yes, it's that simple. In the past I have shied away from the Seat Concepts because I thought I didn't have the talent or the tools to do it myself. Well, I bought the tools and acquired the talent by simply trying it on my own. It turned out nearly perfect! Good luck. Jevers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I must've gotten a different air stapler from HF.
It tackled the SCR950 and NC750X seats with ease.
A few times it wanted to give me a bit of grief, but did well.
mine is the electric stapler, as I don't have an adequate air compressor for running air tools. Also how's your NC750X treating you? I've been a fan of that bike and that frunk since the 1st time I saw the NC700.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you just remove stock cover and foam and staple this on? Seems easy, was it quick?
yes it pretty simple, a bit intimidating because I was scared to mess it up since it was my 1st try at upholstery, but didn't turn out bad at all. There are a few spots I'll likely pull staples and redo just to make it look a little better. It only took me 2 working beers time to get it all done so just about an hour and a half. If I were to do it over again I'd choose the black. The brown looks good but it's pre distressed pattern makes the seat look old.

·
Registered
884 Posts
mine is the electric stapler, as I don't have an adequate air compressor for running air tools. Also how's your NC750X treating you? I've been a fan of that bike and that frunk since the 1st time I saw the NC700.
We actually bought two 750s. Mine's the manual trans model and my girlfriend got a DCT one a few weeks later. Virtually identical, she wanted a different seat. So, that's where the seat cover kit came in.
The little bikes handle great, have decent power and get crazy good fuel economy! How good? My first tank returned 72mpg and her slightly taller geared one got 78mpg! Not bad for a 475# or so bike making around 50h.p..
The storage up front looked like a bit of a gimmick at first. Now that we have the bikes, they are very useful and really will hold a full-sized, full face helmet. :grin2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We actually bought two 750s. Mine's the manual trans model and my girlfriend got a DCT one a few weeks later. Virtually identical, she wanted a different seat. So, that's where the seat cover kit came in.
The little bikes handle great, have decent power and get crazy good fuel economy! How good? My first tank returned 72mpg and her slightly taller geared one got 78mpg! Not bad for a 475# or so bike making around 50h.p..
The storage up front looked like a bit of a gimmick at first. Now that we have the bikes, they are very useful and really will hold a full-sized, full face helmet. /forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
That's awesome, was looking into one of those until I saw the price in my scr then it was Yamaha ftw. Still find myself playing the what if game though. I don't see too many nc's for sale 2nd hand around me, and only saw 2 new in person anyways not super popular around here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used a manual stapler, and had no problems. It is a PowerShot! though, so it has some mechanical advantages over a 'regular' stapler.

https://www.arrowfastener.com/tool/8000/

EDIT: The staples fire out the open handle end, so you don't really have to squeeze and push, you just kind of push down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts