Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just seen this on the old Facebook.....
Ben

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just seen this on the old Facebook.....
Ben
Although I am a HUGE fan of Triumphs, new and old, I feel the new ones are way over priced. I recently tested the Honda Africa Twin and I was very impressed. As soon as my sidecar rig sells, I am going to add one to my collection.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No doubt. Their 865 is already 2x the price of the SCR. If only I had that $12M bike to sell...
Although I am a HUGE fan of Triumphs, new and old, I feel the new ones are way over priced. I recently tested the Honda Africa Twin and I was very impressed. As soon as my sidecar rig sells, I am going to add one to my collection.
Some interesting views. The current ‘Street Scrambler’ is the same RRP as the SCR in the U.K. You can’t count the heavily discounted unsold SCRs that are about, cos Triumphs get discounted too (having said that, I’ve just seen the most-discounted SCR I’ve seen yet - £3.1k off list!)

Yes, the 1200 Trumpet Scram is going to be more (obviously), but I’ll be intrigued to see by much. Hopefully, I’ll get to see (and sit on) one at the bike show in November.
Ben

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ooh, if my dealer had offered the special edition yellow for the same price as the red or gray, I'd have grabbed that instead. Matches my helmet and jacket better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Honestly, the new Triumph Scrambler is over-engineered and over-priced. A radiator on a scrambler is just a bad idea IMO.

Now, the new Royal Enfield twins... that's a proper looking britbike at a really, REALLY reasonable price. $5400, 650cc, nice light weight, great looks, and massive aftermarket support. I'd like to scramble one of them. Only dice is lack of an extensive dealer network unless you're near a major metropolitan area. (I'm good, but many wouldn't be).

Charles.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, the new Triumph Scrambler is over-engineered and over-priced. A radiator on a scrambler is just a bad idea IMO.

Now, the new Royal Enfield twins... that's a proper looking britbike at a really, REALLY reasonable price. $5400, 650cc, nice light weight, great looks, and massive aftermarket support. I'd like to scramble one of them. Only dice is lack of an extensive dealer network unless you're near a major metropolitan area. (I'm good, but many wouldn't be).

Charles.
Are you talking the 900cc Triumph Scrambler that’s already available, or the 1200cc one that no-one has seen yet?! :nerd:

Re the RE - surely you mean the Himalayan? That’s a ready-made Scrambler!!
Ben

·
Registered
441 Posts
There are photos of prototypes that have been spotted in the wild. It's going to be more of the same. Overpriced, too big, too heavy.

I like the Hima, but it's more of a utilitarian adventure style with a pretty lackluster motor. The new Interceptor has my interest. Check it:

47 horsepower, 4-valve, under-stressed (read:detuned for the International market) 270 degree twin with a 6-speed gearbox, EFI, and ABS standard, for $5400 or thereabouts. 47hp and 445 lbs (oil, but no fuel).

That's a hundred pounds lighter than the SCR950, with the same horsepower. Put high pipes on it like the bonneville scramblers and call it done.

Not gonna sell my SCR, but it's likely going to have a stable mate.

Charles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For the longest time From 1951 almost to well into the 80's The bullet was made in my home town of Madras India. It was for 30+ yrs almost their only product, that was the 350 4 stroke single. Their other product in some of that time was the same chassis with a 200cc 2 stroke Villiers replica engine.
There are people who still own these from the 50's as sort of inheritances and they still run. Of course they are like 50's or 60's anything. Heavy utilitarian and lacking by modern standards.
In the 80's the company bought Zundapp's 50 cc 2 strokes and made a moped and a "motorcycle" and the 175 2 stroke went into another bike a few years later. Then in the 90's they were bought by the company that made the Yamaha 2 stroke replica - called the RX100. Then they introduced the 500 4 stroke as well as a bike that's extremely rare even in India - a 650 cruiser with a single cyl motor that was basically a bored/stroked 500. Of course a 350 with 50's tech bored and stroked to 650 = uninspired everything in 2000. But would have been cool to have.
BTW Kawasaki started this whole thing with a W650 - which lived in some places as a w800 even 1-2 yrs ago. Now what - they're giving up ?
And same as Suzuki - in 89 they started the naked - 93 along came the monster, but by 02 Suzuki turned that naked GS500 into a fairinged abomination. And in 09 dropped it altogether. Now Honda and kawi and Yamaha and BMW etc make hay on the GS500's sunshine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry - The bike I was thinking of was -
Lightning
535 cc
198?–2003
Cruiser style motorcycle with 535 cc (87 mm bore) based on Fritz Egli tuned Bullets. Hi-volume oil pumps, 4-speed gearbox and two tone paint. Indian Market only model. Also available with electric start. A rare 350 cc model was also sold for some time.

I knew someone who had one in the US, in fact I thought his was over 600 - but I also think he had a real Egli one - It had to be cos you couldn't import it into the US otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts