Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but I've just hit 600 miles and I was going to change the oil and I can not for the life of me get the filter off. I've tried all the tricks, used a flat rubber bungee cable, two types of filter wrenches, tapping the base of the filter, the filter wrench seems to have stripped the filter a bit, I just can't get it to budge. Anyone else have that problem with the factory filter? What ended up working? I was going to bring it to the dealer for 600 mile service but they wanted almost $400 so I decided to do it myself, I guess I could always pony up the money and have someone else deal with it if nothing works.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but I've just hit 600 miles and I was going to change the oil and I can not for the life of me get the filter off. I've tried all the tricks, used a flat rubber bungee cable, two types of filter wrenches, tapping the base of the filter, the filter wrench seems to have stripped the filter a bit, I just can't get it to budge. Anyone else have that problem with the factory filter? What ended up working? I was going to bring it to the dealer for 600 mile service but they wanted almost $400 so I decided to do it myself, I guess I could always pony up the money and have someone else deal with it if nothing works.
Last resort, drive a big screwdriver through the filter near the end of it. It's messy, but it works. Use a KN filter and torque it to spec so it comes off easily next time. Good luck! Jevers

·
Registered
Yamahahahaha
43 Posts
I feel your pain as the same thing happened to me! I used an old Leather belt, got it slightly wet (so it gripped the filter well) wrapped it around / tightened it down, and let it rip. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use big channel lock pliers to remove stuck oil filters. Dont squese too tight is the trick to making them work, they will dent it a bit but not poke holes.
They worked great on the scr for its first service and stuck on filter and I just used them again tonight doing the first service on an atv.
The factory really cranks the oil filters on, the next oil change is much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts