Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an oil leak on the left today. Right under the kick stand. Dry every where else. What is the likely cause.
Front brakes are grinding in feel. Maybe a bed in type thing, just 230 miles and 4 days so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wowee. Exact same - except it didn't do - that I know of after a 100 mile ride, but the 20 mile ride today did it - likely today was the greatest temp difference between the starting temp and the end temp when I got to work.

I guess starting on a cool morning and wet and sprayed with water from rain then blasting off 20miles to work is worse than starting it up on a dry and 90 degree day and running it 90 miles in 3 segments.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't imagine stop and go traffic in this oppressive heat is any good for an air cooled engine. I've ridden about 200 miles total in June and July. I like to wear full gear and It's been too dam hot! For me 60° - 70°F is ideal riding weather..

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I was in stop-and-go traffic for a while the other day, and the Koso was telling me oil temp was up to 302!!!
Ben

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If oil gets over 280 (as per the old days of cycle world print magazine) then the bike will have a tendency to use oil for the rest of its life - till its rings etc are reseated with a bore job.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
If oil gets over 280 (as per the old days of cycle world print magazine) then the bike will have a tendency to use oil for the rest of its life - till its rings etc are reseated with a bore job.
What’s the thinking there then? It gets so viscous that blow-by occurs, or the bores/pistons start to permanently distort because of the heat? It soon dropped down as we got moving again.
Ben

·
Registered
884 Posts
What’s the thinking there then? It gets so viscous that blow-by occurs, or the bores/pistons start to permanently distort because of the heat? It soon dropped down as we got moving again.
Ben
My thinking is the older oil would glaze on the rings possibly when gotten hot enough and that could lead to increased usage.
Newer oils, especially synthetics and maybe some semi-synthetics, are more resistant to burn off. Even so, on a good day, there are parts of an engine that subject oils to some pretty high temperatures. Ymmv.
Any air cooled engine will start to use oil if hot enough, though it should cease once things return to normal and the oil's sufficiently stable. I won't start an oil thread here. Just say that I'm for using a quality, motorcycle-specific oil and change it with some regularity.

I live in Georgia, USA where air temps on city streets regularly exceed 100F in the summertime. Genny bought her V-Star 950 new almost 5 years and 17k miles ago and I got my SCR650 in Sept. of 2016. Neither have used any appreciable oil between changes. Both engines do exhibit the tiniest amount of oil seepage at the left side engine cover seal(red arrows). How little? There's a shaded area < 1/16"-1/8" that can appear after the engines have been cleaned and then ridden a while. No drips. No shiny spots. Just a discoloration of the engine coating where some has gotten past the gasket. If I didn't point it out, one might never notice and I'm fine with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ben
They had some long explanation. I didn't understand it then, and I cant find it now.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Self-preservation

I was in stop-and-go traffic for a while the other day, and the Koso was telling me oil temp was up to 302!!!
Ben
By the time the oil temp gets to damaging levels, your ass is gonna be uncomfortable enough to be off that bike anyway. It's called self-preservation.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
My thinking is the older oil would glaze on the rings possibly when gotten hot enough and that could lead to increased usage.
Newer oils, especially synthetics and maybe some semi-synthetics, are more resistant to burn off. Even so, on a good day, there are parts of an engine that subject oils to some pretty high temperatures. Ymmv.
Any air cooled engine will start to use oil if hot enough, though it should cease once things return to normal and the oil's sufficiently stable. I won't start an oil thread here. Just say that I'm for using a quality, motorcycle-specific oil and change it with some regularity.

I live in Georgia, USA where air temps on city streets regularly exceed 100F in the summertime. Genny bought her V-Star 950 new almost 5 years and 17k miles ago and I got my SCR650 in Sept. of 2016. Neither have used any appreciable oil between changes. Both engines do exhibit the tiniest amount of oil seepage at the left side engine cover seal(red arrows). How little? There's a shaded area < 1/16"-1/8" that can appear after the engines have been cleaned and then ridden a while. No drips. No shiny spots. Just a discoloration of the engine coating where some has gotten past the gasket. If I didn't point it out, one might never notice and I'm fine with it.
Yeah, I did a bit of reading after the original response, and can’t say I’m overly concerned. This allied with the fact people ride in a lot hotter climates than here (see above), and for longer.
Ben

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK then ...

OK then -
Was the cycle world article wrong ?
Was my recollection of that article wrong ?
Or was the basic assertion - oil over 280 once = oil use forever till rebuild wrong regardless of who went wrong where …

Seriously I want to know.

I have had GS500's that used a quart between changes @15K and a quart in 300 miles of 60 weight Valvoline @ 50k and still ran fine and I was busy scouring the interwebs (back in the stone age days of the webz in 98 and 99) and that was all I found.

I have run GS500's to near destruction while making sure they never did get destroyed … and my first thought every morning is - check the oil and then start the bugger before riding the living daylights out of it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
We must've gotten lucky with Genny's ex GS500F (converted by us to an E model). 10k Georgia miles and never used a drop of oil.
My former 09' KLR650 would take a little oil between changes, but that's typical for a KLR ridden "happily". =)

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
(snip)I have run GS500's to near destruction while making sure they never did get destroyed … and my first thought every morning is - check the oil and then start the bugger before riding the living daylights out of it.
I wanted to thump in the head the engineer that put that long, all-metal dipstick on the GS500s. That rascal would get scorching hot!
No fun come level check time. ;-)

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK then -
Was the cycle world article wrong ?
Was my recollection of that article wrong ?
Or was the basic assertion - oil over 280 once = oil use forever till rebuild wrong regardless of who went wrong where …

Seriously I want to know.

I have had GS500's that used a quart between changes @15K and a quart in 300 miles of 60 weight Valvoline @ 50k and still ran fine and I was busy scouring the interwebs (back in the stone age days of the webz in 98 and 99) and that was all I found.

I have run GS500's to near destruction while making sure they never did get destroyed … and my first thought every morning is - check the oil and then start the bugger before riding the living daylights out of it.
Can't comment on the article or your recollection. but oil starts to break down as low as 212*F(when water boils). In racing cars the rule of thumb is if the oil temp gets to 350*+ consistantly it needs to be cooled. that being said the oil gets changed after every race. by no means if your oil goes over 280*F once will you do permanant damage is not true.
If you do see consistantly high oil temps. on an air cooled bike, put a cooler on it. or get out of traffic, or stop looking at your oil temp gauge !!! use high quality vehicle specific oil and change it frequently. Yamaha made this bike cheap but they did there homework on the engine design.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK we were talking about using oil. No engine damage was mentioned. It used oil for 40K miles. Then I sold it, and the guy that bought it used it for a few 1000 more. No sign of engine damage … but would use oil almost from the time I got it with 10K.

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK we were talking about using oil. No engine damage was mentioned. It used oil for 40K miles. Then I sold it, and the guy that bought it used it for a few 1000 more. No sign of engine damage … but would use oil almost from the time I got it with 10K.
Oh boy !!! excessive oil consumption is caused by damage. do a search on the causes of excessive oil consumption. :confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK the kind of damage that lets it run 50k more, to its naturally scheduled slow death.
yes that kind of damage. the kind that you ignored simply by adding oil continually and not addressing the consumption. not very smart. and i am not very smart for trying to help you.:smile2: good luck !!!
I read in a post that you were going to do all the work on your bike yourself and only bring it to a dealer for warranty work. big mistake
you don't have a clue. :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts