Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok burke - what should I have done when the bike was using oil. Mind you it ran to 50K, about 10K on average more than its non oil using counterparts did, and ran longer, likely to 60 or 70, but was discernibly down on power. In fact with 20K and 30K it felt very similar to other GS500's with that kind of mileage.

I am doing oil change and valve adjustments on the bike, dealers do that no better than I do.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Uh oh.
Where's the strap?

Reactions: jobirobi

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lols

Uh oh.
Where's the strap?
On a GS500 I wrote the book on most of the crap. OK OK I copied most of the book from the manual.
Anyone that says a GS that used oil - mind you made the same power, made the same gas mileage, the same everything, never smoked, never fouled a plug, never missed a beat, was hammered before I got it, and hammered in the 40K I ran it, and was hammered after I sold it was to be "rebuilt" when it used oil - well I would just say I am on my way to the dealer ship, too bad it was 50K miles away, and along the way, I stopped for gas, someone threw $650 at me and took the bike, and I had to walk home. Oh yea, in 1995 I paid a princely $800 for it with 8K miles. In 2006 I sold it for 650 with 50K+ and after 8 crashes it was still running and ran 30 mi to the buyers house in the dead of winter …
I wrote the book - and much of that book was learnt on that bike.
Like, change the exhaust, and you go up 1 jet size (or put non epa - Canadian spec - jets in it). Take out the airbox and put K&N and you need to go up 6 main sizes.
Maybe the 35K I ran with K&N's caused oil use - no idea.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I am on my way to the dealer ship, too bad it was 50K miles away, and along the way, I stopped for gas, someone threw $650 at me and took the bike, and I had to walk home.

There once was a man from Nantucket........

·
Registered
884 Posts
Since you got the GS500 used, perhaps it was broken in harshly or lived too long without an oil change or two, leading to oil consumption.
Even after a rebuild, the cylinders could still be oh-so-little out of round or something. (Ask a high mile KLR650 owner about that.) We'll never know.

Break in procedures can be debated all day, much like a runaway oil thread.
In a tiny sample of two & considering they were both bought brand new, ran the same oil at the same service intervals by the same owner in identical climates,
I would like to mention the 91' and 93' CB750 Hondas I owned.
I babied the 91' from the start. It was my first new vehicle and it used a bit of oil between changes. Not much, just enough to notice.
The 93'? I eased it to 100 miles, changed the oil and filter then rode it "normally" to 600 miles +/- and changed them again. No oil usage like the 91'.
Normally = I didn't baby it nor beat the crap out of it, either. I put 21k on the 91' and 33k miles on the 93'.
Maybe it was just a fluke. Maybe I got lucky or they changed rings or something between years(unlikely). The 93' just ran better to me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He he … 17 GS500's in my life, and atleast 10 more I was a full time mechanic for. I know GS500's in an out.
BTW on Gstwin.com - I am "the buddha". No, not the real buddha who lived in India in 1500 AD or so, just that my close friend and de-facto neighbor conspired with the owner of that site to call me that back in 2008 or so.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts