Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just looking for a heads up please, possibly looking for a rear paddock stand, (swingarm lift) for my SCR, has anybody got any recommendations, it's a pretty heavy bike i know.
Need something to keep it upright whilst tinkering, anything i should know or look for.
Ta!

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Hi, just looking for a heads up please, possibly looking for a rear paddock stand, (swingarm lift) for my SCR, has anybody got any recommendations, it's a pretty heavy bike i know.
Need something to keep it upright whilst tinkering, anything i should know or look for.
Ta!
Well, you can’t fit bobbins (cotton reels) easily (unless you got some of those that go on the ends of the rear axle), so you may be better with a scissor jack/lift to go under the engine/frame spars.

Having said that, I may have seen someone post a pic on here before with their SCR on a rear paddock stand.....

Depends how much you wanna spend, but I’ve got a ‘Big Blue Bike Lift’ (hey - it does what it says!!) :grin2: :

https://on-bike.com/motorcycle-lifts

How are you getting on with the bike?

Ben

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ha, well to be honest, ive spent more time tinkering than riding! So far only covered about 40 miles !

Booster plug fitted,
Headlamp bulb upgraded,
Koso Tacho/speedo fitted
"950 SCR" decals applied to side panels

Hopefully this weekend,
Renthal Bar and grips
Bar end mirrors
Puig Clutch and Brake levers
Puig footpegs

Then next few weeks
Seat recovered/re-foamed......possibly grey!
Puig small headlamp fairing.

Then especially once the seat is sorted, which being a "fatbloke" is more of a problem than i had expected, i should be able to just ride! although i must admit "tinkering" is half the fun for me.

Now you mention it, someone did say they had threaded the two holes on the swingarm to use bobbins.....hhmmm, maybe something else to look into!

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Ha, well to be honest, ive spent more time tinkering than riding! So far only covered about 40 miles !

Booster plug fitted,
Headlamp bulb upgraded,
Koso Tacho/speedo fitted
"950 SCR" decals applied to side panels

Hopefully this weekend,
Renthal Bar and grips
Bar end mirrors
Puig Clutch and Brake levers
Puig footpegs

Then next few weeks
Seat recovered/re-foamed......possibly grey!
Puig small headlamp fairing.

Then especially once the seat is sorted, which being a "fatbloke" is more of a problem than i had expected, i should be able to just ride! although i must admit "tinkering" is half the fun for me.

Now you mention it, someone did say they had threaded the two holes on the swingarm to use bobbins.....hhmmm, maybe something else to look into!
Yeah - tinkering is a big part of these bikes......someone less charitable might say there’s plenty to fix, but not me!! :grin2:

Did you get your Koso from eBay - a guy had sold his Bolt and was advertising one in the last few weeks, with a considerable saving? It’s a good investment tho.....so much better than stock.

So are the Renthals - love mine, and they cut down on the vibes (being alloy) quite considerably....I added some “puppy grips” too, which further enhances this.

Ha - know what you mean about the stock seat. You’ll have to show us what you end up with.

Happy tinkering!

Ben

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I own that one. It's not the best quality, but it works. I position mine such that the rear wheel maintains light contact for better stability. Light enough that you can easily spin the wheel by hand for cleaning. If you find the sweet spot where both wheels are off the ground it seems a bit too unstable for my liking.

Also, If you find tiny ball bearings on the ground, they came from the thrust bearing at the hex driver. I had to disassemble and reassemble the unit with an additional flat washer to close up the tolerance fit where the hex was roll pinned to the lead screw. My issue may have been self induced as I tried using my Dewalt to run it up and down. I think I may have powered it into the lowered position a bit to aggressively and bottomed it out.

It's been working great once I sorted that all out.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Reading the Manuel at first is a an option....
Ha! Good one.

My dad told me the only reason to read instructions is to find out why you have extra parts, or not enough parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, so, i didn't get half the things done i expected!!
Decided to wait for my Wheel chock "Bike Grab" to arrive, realised that would suit my needs better than a paddock stand!

Here's a link to a short youtube video showing my changes to the SCR, so far!

Right click where it says short URL at the top of the clip and then "Open in new window"

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
OK, so, i didn't get half the things done i expected!!
Decided to wait for my Wheel chock "Bike Grab" to arrive, realised that would suit my needs better than a paddock stand!

Here's a link to a short youtube video showing my changes to the SCR, so far!

https://youtu.be/khSYy_OhyTU

Right click where it says short URL at the top of the clip and then "Open in new window"
Looking good!! Thank god you changed that massive plate! Like the grips too.......

You won’t be doing much filtering with those bars and mirrors though :grin2: I had bar end mirrors on my Renthals last year, and they ended up being just that bit too wide.....my mirrors were bigger tho, so you may be OK......

That Bike Grab looks a good bit of kit - did you get it from the place I linked above? Could do with one of them to save some valuable space in the garage......

That Superbike Factory looks massive too - only 40 miles from me, but I’ve never been - must rectify that soon.

Ben

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, the Big Blue people, i realised i dont actually need to lift the bike, well hardly ever, so this stand just keeps it upright, easier to work on and much easier for storage.
Bar end mirrors are cheapest i could find, just wanted to see how they would feel/look, changed them the next day so that mirror head comes out of top of bar end, rather than the end, looks much better.
might try to see if a more expensive set would be more secure as these dont feel that well gripped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice looking bike! Would be interested to know what handlebars those are, Renthal? I can't see with the bar pad on.

And do you know what brand the side mount is for the plate? Looking at options to clear my tail up first after coming home with my own yesterday.

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
And do you know what brand the side mount is for the plate? Looking at options to clear my tail up first after coming home with my own yesterday.

Cheers,
Aaron
You can buy mine off me if you like? I didn’t care for it......
(Plate not included, obviously....)
Welcome, BTW

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome mate.

I could be tempted for that side mount - what size plate is it holding in that picture, do you know? And did you every get any trouble without a number plate light?

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Thanks for the welcome mate.

I could be tempted for that side mount - what size plate is it holding in that picture, do you know? And did you every get any trouble without a number plate light?

Cheers.
7x4”. And no - never had any issues. I don’t have a plate light now either, as I’ve removed the big plastic tail section - there’s a thread on that on here somewhere. I just replace it come MOT time.

This is pretty much the same mount:

https://www.boneyardgarage.co.uk/product/5x7-25mm-axle-side-mount

They told me it was actually for a Trumpet Speedmaster, but they don’t seem to have those on the site any more......

Ben

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking bike! Would be interested to know what handlebars those are, Renthal? I can't see with the bar pad on.

Cheers,
Aaron
Sorry, only just noticed i didn't reply before, Yes they are Renthal bars, RC HIGH to be exact, pretty close to the original size, but a definite improvement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts