Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any real experience with Plasti Dip? Seems to good to be true, I want to try some colors out (that's a lie, all black everything) on the fenders and tank, but I'm trying to keep my mods reversible. How about the tank? Anyone know if gas will strip or bubble plasti dip?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing even before I got my SCR. At a glance, the biggest concern with gasoline coming in contact with plasti dip is that it will stain it, but there's no comment on how long it needs to be exposed to gasoline in order to stain so perhaps wiping it off right away with your glove could save it. As far as I can see from other experiences it doesn't look like it will cause any bubbling, though.

I think if I ever decide to dip the tank I will probably fashion some kind of rubber bib to lay on the tank when fueling, or just keeping a rag on hand. One of those handlebar bags would be a good place to keep it. I also know when I'm going to need to refuel so I wouldn't need to always have it on hand. Biggest concern for myself is the off chance I overfill my tank, which in that case staining is probably unavoidable and would need to be re-done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overall, I would not recommend plasti-dip for a paint job on anything. Aside from smaller accents, the finish is usually unfavorable and will leave you with uneven areas. I did use black spray on plasti-dip for my speedo bezel, and I've considered using it for my headlight bezel as well. The speedometer doesn't look bad, but at a closer look you can see the imperfections that you wouldn't have with a standard paint. My suggestion is to find some nice wrap vinyl, a heat gun, and learn something new. It will look better in the long run and it's easier to remove.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm ok with vinyl, I've also wrapped with contact paper made for the inside of kitchen cabinates. Contact paper is cool because it's easy to find wood grain patterns which IMHO look rad on the back of a cheap dirt bike, but this isn't a cheap dirt bike. I stumbled into a youtube rabbit hole and watched this guy plasti dip the rims on his audi, with the production it looked great and seems suspect. I may try the front fender, maybe the rear fender...still on the fence. Thanks for all the feed back!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plasti dipped my front fender and head light bezel. Not sure about the tank and how it will handle gas.
Man I like that bike more and more everytime, you should have a thread called "jc's pic of the day" and just load it up every morning. The front fender looks good from way back, have you noticed any cracking or specks, or is it pretty smooth once it all drys? Also, I'm guessing 3 coats good enough?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts