Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to risk dealing with the SCR’s battery and install some electrical accessories. Heated grips, accessory power outlet, heated gear harness, and battery tender. Has anyone connected a power relay switch with accessories so that they are off when the ignition is off? If so, where did you tap in? I don’t have the service manual yet and don’t have an electrical diagram. Also, I’m an idiot and electrical diagrams give me headaches.

It isn’t a huge deal as my heated grips automatically shut themselves off when the bike stops vibrating. That just leaves the power outlet for me to remember to turn off, it is just extra piece of mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey there,
I hooked up a USB port for charging my phone.
The first one was just a long battery tender pigtail and the USB box had the corasponding fittings and a 7a fuse in line.
I came straight off the battery.
It eventually burned out.
The second one was a 12v cig lighter + 2 USB ports. Same style.
I plugged in for power at the fuel pump. Just because it was easy and I could sneak a modified butt connector into a existing clip.
So it would turn on/off with the key.
Idk about heated grips though. That would be a lot of power to draw like that.

Hey what’s everyone’s running light situation?
I swear all four of my turn signals and break light would run as running lights. And then one day the 7a fuse for the lights blew and when I replaced it the rear turn signals now only signal.
Now only the front indicators and rear break light run constantly?
Is that right? Am I just crazy?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have heated grips, and a USB cable that plugs into the battery tender pigtail, and both come off of a "fuse box" I made inside the plastic toolkit holder to reduce the amount of wires coming off the battery (I still run separate ground wires for each item). None are on separate switches, however I'm connecting some LED strip lighting (WIP) that are wired into an on/off switch, which is mounted into one of my side-bags for easy access and less clutter on my handlebars. Switches are pretty easy to set up so long as you know a little bit about electricity, and even if you don't it's just 12 volts; nothing that's going to kill you if you mess up in the process.

That said, I would imagine tapping into the ignition switch for your accessories shouldn't be all too difficult so long as you know which wire is the relay. Alternatively, you should be able to tap the 12v wire that runs your front turn signals/running lights for an even easier setup:

Blue wire - Running light
Black wire- Ground
Dark Greenish wire- Flasher wire

Just use blue and black, and you should have a circuit that turns on/off with the ignition.

Personally, I'd rather have everything on a separate toggle AND circuit so I can decide what's on at what time, instead of everything on at once but that's just me. I'm neurotic about my electronics.

Hope this helps, though!

@PNWSCR I swapped everything but my headlight to LED lights and my only running lights are the headlight and rear brake (see this). Stock front indicators and rear brake lights are supposed to run constantly, rear signals stay "off" until you signal so you're in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts