Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Prospective new owner

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Big-X 
#1 ·
I am seriously thinking of one of these for use in Thailand. The bike I use on a day-to-day basis in Europe (Portugal, although I'm English) is a Yamaha MT-01 (1670 cc cruiser in a sporty naked chassis). This suits my style of riding: short shifting and riding on the torque. I don't like the feet-forward riding position of cruisers so the SCR is the only bike I can think of which meets my criteria. Sure, it's a bit heavy but carries its weight low, very much like the even heavier MT-01. I'm not so keen on riding on tubed tyres, I have to say, and this, for me, is the only real drawback of the SCR. Stylistically I love it. The petrol tank reminds me of the XT500 I owned in the 80s. It may be a bit small, but the bike seems to be pretty frugal.

I have one or two questions: how long are the service intervals? Are the valve clearances hydraulically adjusted or manually? Has anyone had any issues with anything? I take it it doesn't use any oil between services. My MT doesn't, however hot it gets in Portugal.

I would be looking at buying some discreet luggage; maybe the Givi E21 cases if Givi produces frames for this bike. I have enquired and am waiting to hear.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
The problem is when this happens and you are riding quite quick. Easy to get thrown off.

Does anyone use thicker innertubes? And maybe one of the products which claim to prevent punctures such as Goop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.