Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Prospective new owner

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Big-X 
#1 ·
I am seriously thinking of one of these for use in Thailand. The bike I use on a day-to-day basis in Europe (Portugal, although I'm English) is a Yamaha MT-01 (1670 cc cruiser in a sporty naked chassis). This suits my style of riding: short shifting and riding on the torque. I don't like the feet-forward riding position of cruisers so the SCR is the only bike I can think of which meets my criteria. Sure, it's a bit heavy but carries its weight low, very much like the even heavier MT-01. I'm not so keen on riding on tubed tyres, I have to say, and this, for me, is the only real drawback of the SCR. Stylistically I love it. The petrol tank reminds me of the XT500 I owned in the 80s. It may be a bit small, but the bike seems to be pretty frugal.

I have one or two questions: how long are the service intervals? Are the valve clearances hydraulically adjusted or manually? Has anyone had any issues with anything? I take it it doesn't use any oil between services. My MT doesn't, however hot it gets in Portugal.

I would be looking at buying some discreet luggage; maybe the Givi E21 cases if Givi produces frames for this bike. I have enquired and am waiting to hear.

#2 ·
Questions answered per the manual:
Oil change: 600 miles/1,000km then every 4,000miles/7,000km)
Filter: At 600 miles then every other oil change. (I have always changed filters every oil change, personally)
Air Filter: replace every 24,000 miles/37,000km.)
Plugs: Inspect at 4,000 miles/7,000km and replace after every 8,000 miles/13,000km)

Valve adjustment: Screw & locknut adjustment every 16,000 miles/25,000km. US pec bike. European bikes may be different.
Difficult? No, once you get at them after removing the gas tank and a few small bits. Below is a photo of my girlfriend's
V-Star 950 engine when I did those valves. Same engine.
Riding "Issues"? Not really. Mind the steering head bearing adjustment. Parent bike Bolt 950 owners in particular have complained about the bike picking up a bad wobble
or head shake resolved mainly by replacing the ball bearings with tapered roller ones.
I've adjusted the bearings on my SCR950 twice now and have no wobble issues at all gong on 8,000 miles.
Oil use? If it does, it's not noticeable between changes on my own bike. I don't do extended freeway riding, but I do live in Georgia, USA where it gets pretty hot in the summertime.

Attachments

#5 ·
I was going round a roundabout, but pretty steadily.

I spoke to my tyre guy re that gloop stuff or similar, and he said he absolutely hates it, as it makes such a mess inside the wheel when it comes to tyre change time. Don’t know if it actually works or not though - maybe he just said this cos it’s costs him money?!
Ben

#7 ·
I would not worry too much about the tube type tires (tyres). The likelihood of getting a flat is very remote from getting something in the tire. Magnesium and alloy wheels can sometime be worse because they develop rim leaks due to corrosion and materials getting in between the wheel and the tire. That happens a lot too when the wheels are balanced and the clip on type weights are used. The SCR is a great machine don't let the wheels discourage you. Also, spoke type wheels provide a little more give when going over large potholes and bumps. Alloys can actually crack on you. Here in MI we have huge holes in the roads from this winter and many cars have had blowouts and cracked wheels. Check out the link below FYI:
http://amzn.to/2Gho6AO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.