Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Feel free to skip to the end for the real question.

I feel a bit silly posting to this forum without actually owning an SCR. However, it seems like the absolute perfect bike for me. It's gorgeous, simple, capable, affordable, and did I say gorgeous? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a used one in my area but I have one concern... the weight.

I live in a bungalow in Los Angeles and parking is going to be... a little tricky. Without boring anyone with details, I have to maneuver it around a tight corner and push it up an incline (~15'L, 3'H) to store it safely in my fenced yard. I previously had a Royal Enfield Himalayan and could do it, but it was not my favorite part of bike ownership.

Now the SCR is slightly bigger in proportions but about much heftier, and certainly the heaviest bike I've ever owned. I'm a 6'1" dude at 185 pounds and was curious...

Does anyone have trouble pushing and maneuvering this bike?

Thank you in advance!

Registered
Hey everyone,

I feel a bit silly posting to this forum without actually owning an SCR. However, it seems like the absolute perfect bike for me. It's gorgeous, simple, capable, affordable, and did I say gorgeous? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a used one in my area but I have one concern... the weight.

I live in a bungalow in Los Angeles and parking is going to be... a little tricky. Without boring anyone with details, I have to maneuver it around a tight corner and push it up an incline (~15'L, 3'H) to store it safely in my fenced yard. I previously had a Royal Enfield Himalayan and could do it, but it was not my favorite part of bike ownership.

Now the SCR is slightly bigger in proportions but about much heftier, and certainly the heaviest bike I've ever owned. I'm a 6'1" dude at 185 pounds and was curious...

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your soon to be purchase. You will get a work out pushing that beloved pig 馃悥 up an incline! If you're adventurous, you can try my method of loading up said 馃悥 into the bed of my pickup. I walk along side of the 馃悥 with the bike running in 1st gear. I carefully feather the clutch while walking it up the ramp. Coming back down, I leave the engine off, but in 1st gear and again I feather the clutch to slow down or stop the 馃悥 altogether. It is much more effective than just relying on the front brakes. Good luck! Jevers

Registered
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!
The SCR actually feels heavier than it is.......
Read that again, it wasn't a typo.
The SCR actually feels heavier than it is.
In addition to its heft, the bike has the turning radius of a school bus.
So ANY tight maneuvering while pushing is next to impossible.
But you are right...it's absolutely gorgeous.
Post pictures when you get it.

Reactions: CaliforniaTomato

Registered
I had the same issue with my out of the way/out of the dust parking spot at the sand pit I work at.
I pushed it backwards into place once, it sucked, in part because its all sand there. The next time I rode it up the incline and pulled it down the incline when leaving, its much easier.
Can you ride it up the hill and pull/coast down it in reverse?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much team for the responses. This community is another great reason to nab the bike. Of all the other bikes I鈥檝e considered, none have a place like this.

I鈥檓 going to go for it. It may feel impossible and awkward the first few times, but I鈥檒l come up with a solution. Whether it鈥檚 riding it up (thanks Dustyroads), working the clutch (Jevers), or getting creative with a different place to park it if the turning radius and heft are too much (thanks schu). Hope to have a proper inaugural post soon!

Registered
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Not really. It's weight is low down and you have big bars for you to hustle it about.
Tight corners could be a problem as it's turning circle is quite wide.
I don't have such problems at home so perhaps I'm not the person to ask.
I'm 6' 2" and weigh 194 lbs so you shouldn't have any problems there.
Compared to my CB1300 which demolished my freezer when it toppled over it's a breeze!

Registered
Some old guy once told me " it has a motor, use it!" The weight of the bike up an incline is much lighter when the bike is doing the work. Gravity will be on your side when rolling down.

I do agree that it's heavier than it looks.

After a few attempts, you'll find the procedure that works best for you and it won't be an issue.

Welcome and enjoy!

Registered
Hey everyone,

Thank you in advance!
I had to push a Katana 750 up 3 stories of my parking garage to fit the SCR in and I have NO REGRETS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts