Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I have liked the look and spec. of the SCR ever since it came out, and have continuously thought about getting one. But.... it would be to hitch to my Ural sidecar (which is currently attached to my 2002 Africa Twin). I've located a new, black SCR still for sale at a Yam dealer here in UK and may try to p/ex my MT01.
My question is, does anyone have or know of an SCR with a chair fitted? If so, any advice for me as to how it's fitted and how it performs?
I know DMC in The States can fit their chairs to the SCR, however, I guess I would go back to Watsonian here in UK to get my Ural fitted if I go ahead.
Many thanks, Mark

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have thought about putting a sidecar on my SCR as well. Physically, the SCR is well suited for it. It is heavy and has a full frame that is exposed for easy connection of the mounts. However, as you already know, sidecars rob A LOT of power and the SCR doesn't have much to offer in stock form. I, and a few others have made the mods to increase the horsepower by an estimated 50% to still only around 63ish horsepower. Personally, I think you will be disappointed going from your Africa Twin down to the SCR. However, in the name of goodwill, I am prepared to offer you a trade of my already modified SCR for your Africa Twin! Send me your shipping address. 😉 Jevers

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have thought about putting a sidecar on my SCR as well. Physically, the SCR is well suited for it. It is heavy and has a full frame that is exposed for easy connection of the mounts. However, as you already know, sidecars rob A LOT of power and the SCR doesn't have much to offer in stock form. I, and a few others have made the mods to increase the horsepower by an estimated 50% to still only around 63ish horsepower. Personally, I think you will be disappointed going from your Africa Twin down to the SCR. However, in the name of goodwill, I am prepared to offer you a trade of my already modified SCR for your Africa Twin! Send me your shipping address. 😉 Jevers
An SCR that has a 50% power increase?!! Definitely send it this way!!! 🤣

Ben

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Hi folks,
I have liked the look and spec. of the SCR ever since it came out, and have continuously thought about getting one. But.... it would be to hitch to my Ural sidecar (which is currently attached to my 2002 Africa Twin). I've located a new, black SCR still for sale at a Yam dealer here in UK and may try to p/ex my MT01.
My question is, does anyone have or know of an SCR with a chair fitted? If so, any advice for me as to how it's fitted and how it performs?
I know DMC in The States can fit their chairs to the SCR, however, I guess I would go back to Watsonian here in UK to get my Ural fitted if I go ahead.
Many thanks, Mark
It can defo be done Mark. There’s a guy in Oz who has one on his Bolt (from the Yamaha Bolt forum):

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

(His user name is his reg plate :ROFLMAO: )

Ben

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hi folks,
Many thanks, Mark
Don't know if any of you long timers remember higworld, but he put a sidecar on his SCR and I remember it looked well done. I found the post, but his walk around video is no longer available on YouTube. Here was the post.

Reactions: markvb

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who commented, it looks like fitting of my Ural chair to an SCR is a practical proposition.
In the meantime, I'm delighted to say I've done a deal with a Yamaha dealer up north, who must I think have one of the last new SCR's.... I'm doing a direct swap of my 2006 MT01, which they will pick up when delivering the SCR. The SCR has been pre-registered by the dealer and has 1.3 yrs warranty left. It comes with an Akrapovic pipe as apparently that's how it was delivered to the dealer by YMUK.
Not much gets me excited these days, but the imminent arrival of the SCR certainly
does!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks to everyone who commented, it looks like fitting of my Ural chair to an SCR is a practical proposition.
In the meantime, I'm delighted to say I've done a deal with a Yamaha dealer up north, who must I think have one of the last new SCR's.... I'm doing a direct swap of my 2006 MT01, which they will pick up when delivering the SCR. The SCR has been pre-registered by the dealer and has 1.3 yrs warranty left. It comes with an Akrapovic pipe as apparently that's how it was delivered to the dealer by YMUK.
Not much gets me excited these days, but the imminent arrival of the SCR certainly
does!
View attachment 18530
does!
View attachment 18530
Nicely done! What a great bonus, getting the slip-on with your deal. Keep us updated if/when you decide to mount a sidecar. Jevers

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
does!
View attachment 18530
Great news on the new SCR. As long as your expectations aren't too high, you will really like this bike. It draws so many positive comments and questions at the fuel pumps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as your expectations aren't too high, you will really like this bike.
Yep, I'm pretty sure I know what I'll get.... a low-tech, simple, underpowered, overweight, but great looking pseudo scrambler with as much off-road prowess as an F1 race car! But that's great, exactly what I want, and for me simple is good. It should be able to haul my chair in a leisurely but torquey way and that motor should go on for ever! 🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
does!
Looks good mate - welcome.

Which ‘northern’ dealer, may I ask?

Cheers,

Ben

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
It's Wigan Yamaha. That's very far north to me as a softie southerner based in Kent!
Aah yes - there’s a been a couple advertised on eBay recently - wondered if that might be one of them.

Now all we need to do is be able to afford fuel for them…… :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aah yes - there’s a been a couple advertised on eBay recently - wondered if that might be one of them.
Yep, there were two on Ebay, a new pre-reg and a very low miles 1-owner, both black. When I phoned about the pre-reg I was told both bikes were sold, but that they had another new pre-reg bike with an Akrapovic pipe sitting in the showroom. After a bit of haggling, they agreed on a straight swop for my MT01, which suits me fine 🙂!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yep, there were two on Ebay, a new pre-reg and a very low miles 1-owner, both black. When I phoned about the pre-reg I was told both bikes were sold, but that they had another new pre-reg bike with an Akrapovic pipe sitting in the showroom. After a bit of haggling, they agreed on a straight swop for my MT01, which suits me fine 🙂!
Oh my..... I had to google an MT01 because I didn't know what it was.
Looks like you are in for a day and night difference.
Huge difference. Huge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh my..... I had to google an MT01 because I didn't know what it was.
Looks like you are in for a day and night difference.
Huge difference. Huge.
Yes, it will be somewhat different but still a big V-twin albeit with just over half the HP. Thing is, I hardly used the MT01 - 3000 miles in 16 yrs. And fitting my chair to the MT would be very tricky (as I had once considered) due to the frame's lack of suitable fixing points. A complicated sub-frame would have been needed. The chair is currently fitted to an old Africa Twin, which has similar HP to the SCR, so using the SCR to haul the chair should be pretty much the same.... I hope 😄!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The SCR has plenty of power for a chair. I've seen guys using CX500s or XS650s with a chair attached, and the SCR has way, way more torque. It'll be fine. The thing you really need to consider though, is can you live with just under 1.75" of suspension travel? The SCR rides like a hardtail on anything except perfectly smooth brand new pavement. I ended up with back problems and had to sell mine, I couldn't take the constant hits to my spine. If you're young, it's probably not an issue. But I've never known a young guy piloting a hack so I'm assuming you're not. :)

Charles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yay! Another SCR in the South East! let me know when you are out & about and maybe we can meet up, I am in West Sx ( Crawley/Gatwick).
Yeah, great - I get over to Box Hill every so often.... and will let you know when next time I plan to be there. It's normally on a Sunday with a late morning arrival when I meet up with an old biking mate who currently has an MT10. I used to be a regular at BH when I lived in Epsom, but now being based in East Kent it's sadly less frequent that I get the opportunity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.