Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a newbie when it comes to big motorcycles. Can someone tell me what is the best way to make this motorcycle engine as quiet as possible. I know that it is fairly quiet by general standards but I want to quieten it as much as possible even if it means sacrificing some performance. I also find the tire noise annoying. What would be the quietest choice of tire if all I did was commute on the street. Thank you all for helping me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most of the engine noise is mechanical as it is aircooled, and there's not much you can do about that. About all I can suggest is use the throttle sparingly! Tyre noise you can fix by fitting any tyres designed only for on road use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the engine noise is mechanical as it is aircooled, and there's not much you can do about that. About all I can suggest is use the throttle sparingly! Tyre noise you can fix by fitting any tyres designed only for on road use.

Thank you.I do always drive in the sweet spot of the throttle. I commute through very very quiet back roads at 35-40 mph, hence the quest for quietness. So you are saying that modifications to exhaust or air intakes will not do any better than stock; right?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thank you.I do always drive in the sweet spot of the throttle. I commute through very very quiet back roads at 35-40 mph, hence the quest for quietness. So you are saying that modifications to exhaust or air intakes will not do any better than stock; right?
Quite a lot of bike design criteria include making a machine as quiet as possible to meet gov't standards.
As others pointed out, the SCR950's an air-cooled motorcycle and it's going to have a good bit of mechanical noise that simply cannot be avoided.
They've hit on one significant source of noise that can be changed: Tires.
I'm personally going to install a set of Michelin Anakee III dual sport tires on my SCR pretty soon. I've run a few sets on my Super Tenere 1200 and can safely say they will be quieter and last longer than the OEM tires on the SCR.
On the highway, the grip is as good as I could want, all the way to dragging pegs. The even do okay on unpaved roads, too. (Picture)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts