Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Rear brake pads

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cjscr 
#1 ·
Hey All, I know this was topic was covered a while back, but I believe it is worth repeating. I got back from a short ride last night and had some time to kill before picking up my son from work. So, naturally I popped open a beer and started looking over my SCR. I checked the oil, tires and front brake pads. Everything looked fine, but I couldn't get a good visual of the rear brake pads, due to the caliper being mounted near
the bottom of the rotor. I noticed that there are only two bolts to remove and the caliper was off. I was shocked to see that the pads were worn down to less than 1/32" !!! The warning pins ( I think that's what they are) were nearly gone as well. I'm pretty sure that because of the LOUD pipe, I couldn't hear them squealing. Anywho, I got 15,700 miles out of the original pads and realistically, I should have changed them probably 1,000 miles sooner. The reason I was shocked is because I religiously downshift to every stop and use the front brake in conjunction with the rear. The front pads are maybe 25% worn. So, apparently I am using the rear brake more than I thought. It is super easy to pull the 2 bolts and drop the caliper. The pads stay in place making it easy. Jevers

#2 ·
Hey All, I know this was topic was covered a while back, but I believe it is worth repeating. I got back from a short ride last night and had some time to kill before picking up my son from work. So, naturally I popped open a beer and started looking over my SCR. I checked the oil, tires and front brake pads. Everything looked fine, but I couldn't get a good visual of the rear brake pads, due to the caliper being mounted near
the bottom of the rotor. I noticed that there are only two bolts to remove and the caliper was off. I was shocked to see that the pads were worn down to less than 1/32" !!! The warning pins ( I think that's what they are) were nearly gone as well. I'm pretty sure that because of the LOUD pipe, I couldn't hear them squealing. Anywho, I got 15,700 miles out of the original pads and realistically, I should have changed them probably 1,000 miles sooner. The reason I was shocked is because I religiously downshift to every stop and use the front brake in conjunction with the rear. The front pads are maybe 25% worn. So, apparently I am using the rear brake more than I thought. It is super easy to pull the 2 bolts and drop the caliper. The pads stay in place making it easy. Jevers
Thanks for the heads up. I will be checking mine pronto. I have more miles than you and never even thought to check them yet

#3 ·
Same here. I have just over 15k on mine and I just replaced both front/rear. I try to downshift more to avoid over using the brakes, and I always apply both front and rear in hopes of even pad wear. But my rear pads were practically non existent and front looked brand new. In fact, the front had a hair more pad compared to the new EBC pads I put on lol?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.