Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t suppose any of you guys in the US will have seen this? It was a documentary Julien Temple made for the BBC in 2010. I don’t know what made me think of it today, but something did. Anyway! It’s the best documentary I’ve even seen, and probably one of my favourite ‘films’ too. I don’t think it’s available on-line, but the trailer (and others clips) are on YouTube:

I find it just a fascinating exploration of the decline of the city when the big car producers moved out. Must have watched it 6 or 7 times when it’s been repeated over the years’.

A couple of you have mentioned recently that you live in the northern US. Have any of you been to Detroit recently? Is the city really being reclaimed by nature, as the doc suggests?! There’s an interesting interview with the director here, where he talks about a kind of post-apocalyptic landscape they discovered, when they arrived to film there:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/mar/10/detroit-motor-city-urban-decline

I was just wondering if it was the ramblings of an ‘artiste’, and things actually aren’t that bad? @Schu , for example - you say you were at a bike meet recently in Flint - that’s only an hour away, isn’t it? This doc was also nearly 10 years ago - have they turned things around?

Just interested, that’s all.....
Ben

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't live in Detroit, but I was there a couple weeks ago. Downtown is heavily gentrified and they have electric scooters everywhere that you can rent through an app. One of the people I was with lived about 30min outside of downtown and said 3 years ago you could get your phone stolen if you stood with it out but now it's entirely different. Being a photographer I really wanted to see and explore some of the old abandoned buildings, but I unfortunately I never had the opportunity.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Ben,
Detroit lost like over a million and a half residents since its heyday. Chicago has a similar problem.
All these cities were built on industrial might... You can go on google earth and look at the neihborhoods going back to
around 1990 something and you can see the progression of blocks being emptied of homes.
If you go to this site and click on the viewer... You can go way back as this site unlike google earth... Uses old aerial photographs so you can see it back to the 1930's. Keep in mind the old photos are not a sharp as satellites but its still pretty cool.
hows the entire US.

https://www.historicaerials.com/

Mellow

·
Registered
369 Posts
What trips me out is England! About 3 feet under the surface over there... Britian is covered with remnant of Roman occupation.
You have gold hoards hidden all across the countryside. You folks have had so much going on for so many Thousands of years , you even lost a whole church with a King buried in it and it was not found until about 5 years ago. King Richard the 3rd I think it was.. They found the church and the king under a parking lot!
If I lived there, In addition to an scr, I'd have a metal detector and be looking for some gold and or silver in my spare time.!!
Fascinating stuff!!!
If you look on google earth and study it... You can see in crop marks and outlines... the foundations of buildings, roads old field boundaries burial mounds outlines of iron age villages and roundhouse foundations... and whole towns that used to be!
I spent many hours in google earth looking at the UK...
The whole countryside has been used and turned over for thousands of years!!! And the traces are on the surface!
You can spot it everywhere. A bunch of old airfields to from when the UK was like one big giant aircraft carrier!
God bless the UK!!! And God bless the Queen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Remember the UK fought alone for 2 years for their survival against the Nazi's before the US got fully into it.
We helped with supplies but they fought alone. Tough Limmeys they are!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
@Schu , for example - you say you were at a bike meet recently in Flint - that’s only an hour away, isn’t it? This doc was also nearly 10 years ago - have they turned things around?

Just interested, that’s all.....
Ben
You know Ben, I've lived one hour north of Detroit since I was 6 years old. Growing up as a kid my parents NEVER went into Detroit. Especially after the riots in the late 60s. So even as I entered adulthood and could've gone into Detroit I rarely did. Occasionally for concerts or sporting events, but that was about it.

Detroit also had a run of several years if not decades with corrupt mayors that let the city go down the drain as they found ways to become rich. But things have really changed in recent years. There are all kinds of nice bars and restaurants popping up everywhere, and new sporting arenas that really draw in the crowds with money to spend.

My wife and I now go into Detroit a few times a year with package deals that combine dinner and shuttle transportation to a main event and back. We always enjoy that method because there is no worry of getting around in traffic, parking, or being late! Do a search for Detroits Revival and you will find all kinds of articles that highlight the changes and many have before and after photos showing the changes.

Personally I am not a fan of big city life style. And I agree with Mellow about his comments on how different it is on your side of the pond in the U.K. I've been there for business purposes several times. Boy do I have stories about my first solo visit flying into Heathrow Airport, renting a car in London, and trying to navigate your cart paths to a meeting in Liverpool. I think the biggest issue was the fact that I was sitting on the wrong side of the car, shifting a manual transmission with the wrong hand, and driving on the wrong side of the road. And your roads are not a grid pattern, and your street signs are not on poles at each intersection. It was an experience I will never forget.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't live in Detroit, but I was there a couple weeks ago. Downtown is heavily gentrified and they have electric scooters everywhere that you can rent through an app. One of the people I was with lived about 30min outside of downtown and said 3 years ago you could get your phone stolen if you stood with it out but now it's entirely different. Being a photographer I really wanted to see and explore some of the old abandoned buildings, but I unfortunately I never had the opportunity.
Ha, I guess it has changed then! Temple said he put the question mark at the end of the title, I guess cos he could see the first shoots of recovery. Yeah, some of the old, abandoned buildings are in the film - would've been fascinating to explore and photograph, no doubt. Amazing to think the car industry was so massive there that they built entire towns, hotels, amenities etc for the work force.

Hey Ben,
Detroit lost like over a million and a half residents since its heyday. Chicago has a similar problem.
All these cities were built on industrial might... You can go on google earth and look at the neihborhoods going back to
around 1990 something and you can see the progression of blocks being emptied of homes.
If you go to this site and click on the viewer... You can go way back as this site unlike google earth... Uses old aerial photographs so you can see it back to the 1930's. Keep in mind the old photos are not a sharp as satellites but its still pretty cool.
hows the entire US.

https://www.historicaerials.com/

Mellow
Cool site - I'll take a look at that.

What trips me out is England! About 3 feet under the surface over there... Britian is covered with remnant of Roman occupation.
You have gold hoards hidden all across the countryside. You folks have had so much going on for so many Thousands of years , you even lost a whole church with a King buried in it and it was not found until about 5 years ago. King Richard the 3rd I think it was.. They found the church and the king under a parking lot!
If I lived there, In addition to an scr, I'd have a metal detector and be looking for some gold and or silver in my spare time.!!
Fascinating stuff!!!
If you look on google earth and study it... You can see in crop marks and outlines... the foundations of buildings, roads old field boundaries burial mounds outlines of iron age villages and roundhouse foundations... and whole towns that used to be!
I spent many hours in google earth looking at the UK...
The whole countryside has been used and turned over for thousands of years!!! And the traces are on the surface!
You can spot it everywhere. A bunch of old airfields to from when the UK was like one big giant aircraft carrier!
God bless the UK!!! And God bless the Queen.
Ha - yeah, a car park in Leicester, IIRC. Pretty salubrious - probably like Detroit 20 years ago! Ha :grin2:

You know Ben, I've lived one hour north of Detroit since I was 6 years old. Growing up as a kid my parents NEVER went into Detroit. Especially after the riots in the late 60s. So even as I entered adulthood and could've gone into Detroit I rarely did. Occasionally for concerts or sporting events, but that was about it.

Detroit also had a run of several years if not decades with corrupt mayors that let the city go down the drain as they found ways to become rich. But things have really changed in recent years. There are all kinds of nice bars and restaurants popping up everywhere, and new sporting arenas that really draw in the crowds with money to spend.

My wife and I now go into Detroit a few times a year with package deals that combine dinner and shuttle transportation to a main event and back. We always enjoy that method because there is no worry of getting around in traffic, parking, or being late! Do a search for Detroits Revival and you will find all kinds of articles that highlight the changes and many have before and after photos showing the changes.

Personally I am not a fan of big city life style. And I agree with Mellow about his comments on how different it is on your side of the pond in the U.K. I've been there for business purposes several times. Boy do I have stories about my first solo visit flying into Heathrow Airport, renting a car in London, and trying to navigate your cart paths to a meeting in Liverpool. I think the biggest issue was the fact that I was sitting on the wrong side of the car, shifting a manual transmission with the wrong hand, and driving on the wrong side of the road. And your roads are not a grid pattern, and your street signs are not on poles at each intersection. It was an experience I will never forget.
Interesting. When I meet foreign people, they are always amazed how little I've been to London. I think I've been there 4 or 5 times max, and thats mainly with work. Maybe we don't appreciate whats on our doorstep, esp. with what Mellow says........can't say Roman history is anything thats really interested me. I mean, its interesting when I hear about it, but I don't seek it out, if you know what I mean. I think the fascination with the US probably came from growing up with American movies - seeing different areas over there a couple of times every week during your formative years' no doubt does something to your psyche! I think also, it fascinates a lot of people because its such a young country - you can see it growing/developing before your eyes, and also maybe where it goes wrong every now and again, which probably feeds back into the Detroit thing......

Ha - cart paths! :grin2: I remember you saying before about your experience. You'd soon get the hang of it - the problem over here, is its so busy, and it only seems to be getting worse. Nearly 70 million squeezed on an island that would fit into Texas 3 times!! Appreciate all that space over there, thats what I say!
Ben

·
Registered
61 Posts
[QUOTE I think the fascination with the US probably came from growing up with American movies - seeing different areas over there a couple of times every week during your formative years' no doubt does something to your psyche![/QUOTE]

I know you realize that everything isn't as it seems in movies. Hollywood does indeed make strange bedfellows. I saw a movie recently (don't remember name) that was set in Los Angeles, but filmed clear across the country in some city in Georgia or one of the Carolinas. If you visit a U.S. city you're attracted to because of having seen it in a movie, be sure you check out the credits at the end to see where it was actually filmed; you may want a different itinerary, lol.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[QUOTE I think the fascination with the US probably came from growing up with American movies - seeing different areas over there a couple of times every week during your formative years' no doubt does something to your psyche!

I know you realize that everything isn't as it seems in movies. Hollywood does indeed make strange bedfellows. I saw a movie recently (don't remember name) that was set in Los Angeles, but filmed clear across the country in some city in Georgia or one of the Carolinas. If you visit a U.S. city you're attracted to because of having seen it in a movie, be sure you check out the credits at the end to see where it was actually filmed; you may want a different itinerary, lol.[/QUOTE]

Ah, no - I’m aware the movies aren’t real! I’ve taken two trips to the US, incl. touring for a couple of weeks around Cali (although, TBF, a lot of that IS like a movie set! :grin2:). It’s not really thinking everywhere will be like in the movies, more a general familiarity bred thru a considerable portion of TV here originating from the US. As I’ve grown up, I’ve wanted to see various parts of the US. Somewhere central would probably have to be next (Detroit, maybe??! >:) ). But no, I won’t be expecting to see Airwolf anywhere!! :laugh:
Ben

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Early Xmas gift on the subject! 👍
Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts