Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a short ride today, less the 40 miles, and interfaced with three drivers who never saw me when they made their decisions to advance. My head light is working, and I was wearing my neon yellow Joe Rocket mesh jacket, albeit quite faded now.

The first woman pulled out of her driveway right in front of me. (I stopped in time) She accelerated hard when she finally saw my headlight as if it was attached to the rear of her car.

The second man swung out to pass right into my lane. (I shared my lane at 55 MPH) We made eye contact as I was showing my appreciation via sign language with my left arm fully extended.

The third was a commercial van backing out of small business parking lot. (I swerved while activating my new Denali SoundBomb) He heard it, spiked his brakes, and gave an apologetic wave.

None of these were really close calls for me. But these people clearly made their move thinking they were totally in the clear. I could tell by their reactions when they finally did see me. And surprisingly none of them were holding phones this time.

Look up saccadic masking. It's real.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm glad you survived yet another ride! Yeah, I have had the pleasure of sharing MY lane with an oncoming car while he was passing a car on a blind corner! A little unnerving with a car coming at me on my left while I'm on a 3' shoulder with a guard rail on my right. I, too, have had the pleasure of scaring the crap out of a driver who just pulled out in front of me while I'm laying on the Denali! It's fun to watch them jump a little in their seat! Be safe, y'all! Jevers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took a short ride today, less the 40 miles, and interfaced with three drivers who never saw me when they made their decisions to advance. My head light is working, and I was wearing my neon yellow Joe Rocket mesh jacket, albeit quite faded now.

The first woman pulled out of her driveway right in front of me. (I stopped in time) She accelerated hard when she finally saw my headlight as if it was attached to the rear of her car.

The second man swung out to pass right into my lane. (I shared my lane at 55 MPH) We made eye contact as I was showing my appreciation via sign language with my left arm fully extended.

The third was a commercial van backing out of small business parking lot. (I swerved while activating my new Denali SoundBomb) He heard it, spiked his brakes, and gave an apologetic wave.

None of these were really close calls for me. But these people clearly made their move thinking they were totally in the clear. I could tell by their reactions when they finally did see me. And surprisingly none of them were holding phones this time.

Look up saccadic masking. It's real.

So, just an average day out riding, huh? Gotta keep the survival instincts switch set on high.

Glad it all worked out; thinking of getting one of those Denalis for my SCR, what's the degree of difficulty with the wiring?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Seconded. Spend the extra few bucks on their wiring harness and get the SCR/Bolt-specific mounting bracket while you're at it. It's a good idea to grab some extra relays to have on hand in case you blow one out. Wiring instructions are easy to follow.

If you want to make it all to be tip-top, here are my suggestions:
- You'll want to find a good spot to mount the relay or it'll be blown in no time (made that mistake myself). I mounted mine to one of the screws that holds the plastic plate down at the bottom of the side cover cavity, above the battery.
- Lots of zip ties to tidy and hide the wires.
- I put a couple more zip ties around the U-shaped block where the horn mounts to a single hex bolt (the biggest design weakness) for peace of mind.
- I also put some heatshrink over the leads connecting the harness to the handlebar switch to keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thinking of getting one of those Denalis for my SCR, what's the degree of difficulty with the wiring?
You need that Denali SoundBomb, and the install was easy. Order it with the mounting bracket and the wiring harness. The harness is really nice, although it was longer than needed for my routing, so I neatly coiled and stashed the excess under the seat. I wired mine into the existing horn connectors, so I am actually honking both horns!

My only dislike is the single screw mount, but that is greatly improved by sandwiching a serrated star type washer between the bracket and the horn. Your knee may touch the horn just like it does the air intake on the other side. It doesn't bother me at all, but I am amazed by how many people are bothered by the intake/knee thing.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a bad habit of over tightening things, so far the horn is hanging in there. As far as the relay, I took a 5" length of 1" rubber hose and cut it down the middle. I wrapped the relay and fuse holder inside and secured with zip ties. Just used the Denali an hour ago to scare a little bambi ( still with spots) away from a busy highway.

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
You need that Denali SoundBomb, and the install was easy. Order it with the mounting bracket and the wiring harness. The harness is really nice, although it was longer than needed for my routing, so I neatly coiled and stashed the excess under the seat. I wired mine into the existing horn connectors, so I am actually honking both horns!

My only dislike is the single screw mount, but that is greatly improved by sandwiching a serrated star type washer between the bracket and the horn. Your knee may touch the horn just like it does the air intake on the other side. It doesn't bother me at all, but I am amazed by how many people are bothered by the intake/knee thing.
I would like a complete pictorial guide to this easy install, please! :grin2:
Ben

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
I would like a complete pictorial guide to this easy install, please! [
Ben, Better yet, fly Bonnie and myself over there and I will buy you the horn and install it for you!😉 Jevers
Is Bonnie your wife, or your Triumph?? Having said that, I could maybe be persuaded to keep either......like I said, full pictorial guide required.:wink2:
Ben

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ben, Better yet, fly Bonnie and myself over there and I will buy you the horn and install it for you!😉 Jevers
Is Bonnie your wife, or your Triumph?? Having said that, I could maybe be persuaded to keep either......like I said, full pictorial guide required./forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Ben
My Triumph, of course! You have seen some pics, so.... What's it gonna be? Should I get a horn on order? Update my passport? Start packing? Bonnie is all ready to go!
We have a saying over here in the States... Take the wife along, twice the money, half the fun!😜🤣��🍺

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
My Triumph, of course! You have seen some pics, so.... What's it gonna be? Should I get a horn on order? Update my passport? Start packing? Bonnie is all ready to go!
We have a saying over here in the States... Take the wife along, twice the money, half the fun!😜🤣��🍺
I tell you what - just send me the bike (kinda like a homecoming), you keep the wife, and I’ll fit the horn myself!! :wink2::wink2:
Ben

Reactions: Schu

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tell you what - just send me the bike (kinda like a homecoming), you keep the wife, and I’ll fit the horn myself!! :wink2::wink2:
Ben
As he whistles the tune

My Bonnie lies over the ocean,
My Bonnie lies over the sea.
My Bonnie lies over the ocean.
Oh bring back my Bonnie to me. …

Reactions: SCRBen

·
Registered
717 Posts
Is Bonnie your wife, or your Triumph?? Having said that, I could maybe be persuaded to keep either......like I said, full pictorial guide required./forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Ben

·
Registered
61 Posts
thinking of getting one of those Denalis for my SCR, what's the degree of difficulty with the wiring?

My only dislike is the single screw mount, but that is greatly improved by sandwiching a serrated star type washer between the bracket and the horn. Your knee may touch the horn just like it does the air intake on the other side. It doesn't bother me at all, but I am amazed by how many people are bothered by the nintake/knee thing.
Is it necessary to remove the tank or do you just snake the wires under it?

·
Registered
717 Posts
You can easily tie the wires up alongside the existing wires without removing the tank.
Thanks, good to know. I'll get it on order tomorrow. Looks like I can get horn, harness and mount from Twisted Throttle. Any other suggestions?
Sounds like you're on the right path. Good luck and let us know how the installation went.
On a side note, be aware that this horn is VERY loud and can easily startle who happens to hear it, especially a car in front of you. Their initial reaction is usually to slow down or even stop!
I encountered this a few times when driving a semi truck. I learned to use the air horn sparingly. Jevers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts