Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brake light on the SCR950 is a nice LED unit and plenty bright. It's also fairly small. Brake light modulators and similar devices can help get us noticed on the road and possibly prevent an accident.
While they may not be legal in some areas, the argument is strong for one and possibly a simple" fix it" ticket if the event arises.
Onward:
On my former FZ-09, I had a good experience with a device sold by Custom LED that is almost tailor-made for our bikes. With a variety of flash patterns to chose from by turning a tiny knob, one can pick how much or how little the LEDs flash when the brakes are applied.
Read more here: Brake Light Flashers and Modulators for Motorcycles ? Custom LED

The installation on a SCR950 is really straight forward.
Remove the left side cover and locate the white connector as indicated in the photo below. Disconnect it and split the protective sheath around the wire bundle back on the part going to the tail light far enough to allow access to the wires inside. The flasher connects at the yellow and black bike wires. Cut the yellow wire and attach the red wire from the flasher to the lead going back into the main harness. The white flasher wire connects to the other end of the yellow wire - the one headed to the brake light. The final connection is black wire to black wire (ground) . The blue wire in the bike harness is the running light and not disturbed.
Once the connections are in place (I soldered mine and sealed them with heat shrinkable tubing.), plug the connector back in and test the brake light function. I set the knob on the flasher to position #6. That pulses the brake light LEDs rapidly for several seconds before going solid on.
All connected, I wrapped the wires back up with electrical tape and attached the flasher to the plastic ECM cover/protector with 3M double-sided tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm used to lightly touching the brakes to flash them at the car behind me when I slow down or stop. Too bad Custom LED doesn't have a video showing us what the flash looks like when you're depressing the brake.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm used to lightly touching the brakes to flash them at the car behind me when I slow down or stop. Too bad Custom LED doesn't have a video showing us what the flash looks like when you're depressing the brake.
By request: a short video of my bike's brake light.
The flash rate and the camera don't exactly "get along". LOL
The flash is really rapid and gets your attention!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are several flash patterns to pick from by turning the small dial on the flasher unit such as on flash until you release the brake, flash for X seconds then solid for a few and repeating, flash a bit then go solid, crazy disco flash then solid (my choice!), etc...

I've also used Hyper-lite LED add-on modules on other bikes, including the current Super Tenere. They give an added light source and there are several options regarding size, running light or turn signal capability and so on. I remember once seeing a bike from two blocks away and thinking,
"Wow! They really do catch your attention!!"
I caught up with the rider to say something before realizing it was "Rhonda" on a 2001 SV650 I sold her!
I was the one that'd installed the Hyper-lites! LOL
The Dale Walker slip-on pipe sounded really nice on that bike, too!

·
Registered
319 Posts
"crazy disco flash" would definitely get you noticed. I ride with the assumption that drivers are blind and out to kill me so precautions are taken including a high vis jacket. Maybe those custom LEd brake lights are in the future.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just put one on my SCR. Simple install and came with nifty connectors I didn't use. ( I'm a solder,heat shrink & tape guy) It wakes you up when it flashes!!! lot's of different flash modes (9 I think) I'm thinking of a few more for each bike. Amazing the difference it makes......Almost annoying if your behind it but you will get noticed unless the driver's asleep or completely DK.

Reactions: eddie
1 - 9 of 9 Posts