Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering why Harley Davidson decided to go with belts instead of chain. Chains are marginally better since they are easy to maintain and they don't stretch as much.

Sure belt drives are better if you don't need to change drive ratios or go off road but isn't the roadster meant to go on dirt roads too?

·
Registered
591 Posts
In the videos we see the SCR950 going through dirt roads which leads me to believe they've thought this out prior. But going with the belt does seem a little odd.. We just need to find the reasoning as to why they've done this and how they've thought of being able to protect it from dirt/gravel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I gather, there are pros and cons. Belts gives you a smoother power delivery and there's less maintenance needed than chains butt, it's not as durable when putting through high hp and there's more power loss than chain.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The whole maintenance part is what gets me but what matters is the fact that it's a well rounded bike and this might be what does it, after all we're dealing with Yamaha here, they've been in the game for a very long time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a chain, you'll have to clean and lube it every 3-5 hundred miles but you only experience around a 3% power loss. The belt needs less maintenece and cleaning and it lasts longer but belt replacements cost more.
Great for cruising vehicles and not performance ones.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This definitely isn't a bike you'll see tackling half-mile drags and what not, a cruising bike is what it is. However that being said, it also is pretty versatile. Nonetheless, performance bike is not what it's designed for in that respect.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The downside is replacing a belt can be costly but overall it requires less maintenance and less attention than chain systems. Better for it's purpose here as a cruiser since we'll have a smooth bike.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can you embed or link the video here? Not quite sure what they mean, I know that the belt may be too wide for some mods like going from a 130mm to a 150mm rear tire using your stock frame.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can still do the same customizations as a chain driven bike, just takes more effort and maybe a few extra parts to make things fit.

That's a small price to pay for a very reliable belt drive that won't snap. Well they can but, it would take a rock getting lodged somewhere near the belt and then cutting it to snap one and the chain isn't as sturdy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can but judging the overall demographic I don't think people will go over the top, the usual thing will happen as with any bikes but for the most part this bike is good to go as-is.

Just recall what you see on the street that's from the same segment as this and what they have done.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I assume most people who will go for the scr950 won't be trying to change out the belt for a chain. There's plenty of other things to mod besides the belt like paint design, suspension, seat, etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts