Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Scr950 fork oil and level

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jevers478@gmail.com 
#1 ·
hey all how are y’all doin?? I wanted to know what oil y’all used for the forks. Had this bike for a while and haven’t serviced them yet.

#5 ·
While measuring what came out and putting the same amount back in works. Setting the oil by distance from the top with the forks bottomed out and no springs in them is the best way to do it.
You can put a little more oil than factory in them and stiffen the last part of the travel up so you dont bottom out.
I'd take the springs out, bottom the forks and measure how far down the stock oil is. When filling them back up go 1 inch closer to the top, remember to pump them up and down a bunch of times to get the air out before setting the oil height.

On my dual sports with similar forks (klr650 and dr650) we added at least that much extra and it makes the forks work alot better but guys knew the oil height and I just went by it. IE the factory was 165mm from the top and we went to 130mm.
I want to put 15 wt oil in my forks and raise the oil height/amount at some point, the forks are quite a bit softer than the shocks and this will stiffen them up without spending a bunch of money.

#8 ·
Funny, cuz I just noticed that my forks are slow to rebound after a hot 200 mile ride today. 5 years, well, 2 and 1/2 years due to our climate and 19,000 miles later, I'd say that she's due for some new fork oil. I will probably wait until the dead of winter, though. I'll tackle the muffler repack at the same time, although she is getting louder by the day. On a totally unrelated note, I just about " bought the farm " today. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will make a new post. Jevers

#10 ·
Jay syncs his valves and throttles his body every weekend. No worries there.

Reactions: jevers478@gmail.com
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.