Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

this is a great forum, and I am giving special thanks to Rockrover and Eddie for their insight and experience that has helped me tremendously with some of my early servicing, especially syncing throttle bodies and doing the valve clearance inspection and adjustment. Having the service manual is great but photos and practical advice do help a lot! Thank you guys for taking the time to share your pioneer work with others.

I have bought my SCR brand new in Germany in 2018 and since then I have put 19000 kilometers on it. It is a motorcycle that will totally capture your heart and soul as many here have written. It's unique, rides great, on and off road, easy to service yourself, great engine sound, turns heads, etc. etc. I could go for hours on the pros of the bike. I have ridden and owned different bikes and chose this one because it's a classic with a character. You have to adapt to the way it rides. I see many people misunderstand the point of the bike and spend more time accessorizing it rather than riding it for what it is.

A couple of details:
  • Color: Yamaha Racing Blue
  • Tires: Mitas E-08 (the best deal for the money). Better than the OEM Trail Wings in eliminating the front end wobble and better grip on tarmac. I ran the TW101 front down to the edge but here I have a 1-2 mm stripe left which makes me feel better. Dunlop TrailMax was great off road but the massive torque of the v-twin just eats it up extremely fast on tarmac
  • Oil: Motul 10W40
  • Pegs: Puig Enduro, less vibration into my feet then the stock pegs
  • Bars: tried 2 sets of lower bars (M-Style) but came back to the stock bars due to better control standing up off-road
  • Yamaha fork brace installed since day 1 as well as the bash plate as I ride dirt road and explore a lot
I am here to help anyone with any issue, repair advise, etc. Hit me up. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys,

this is a great forum, and I am giving special thanks to Rockrover and Eddie for their insight and experience that has helped me tremendously with some of my early servicing, especially syncing throttle bodies and doing the valve clearance inspection and adjustment. Having the service manual is great but photos and practical advice do help a lot! Thank you guys for taking the time to share your pioneer work with others.

I have bought my SCR brand new in Germany in 2018 and since then I have put 19000 kilometers on it. It is a motorcycle that will totally capture your heart and soul as many here have written. It's unique, rides great, on and off road, easy to service yourself, great engine sound, turns heads, etc. etc. I could go for hours on the pros of the bike. I have ridden and owned different bikes and chose this one because it's a classic with a character. You have to adapt to the way it rides. I see many people misunderstand the point of the bike and spend more time accessorizing it rather than riding it for what it is.

A couple of details:
  • Tires: Mitas E-08 (the best deal for the money). Better than the OEM Trail Wings in eliminating the front end wobble and better grip on tarmac. I ran the TW101 front down to the edge but here I have 1-2 mm strip left which makes me feel better. Dunlop TrailMax was great off road but the massive torque of the v-twin just eats it up extremely fast on tarmac
  • Bars: tried 2 sets of lower bars (M-Style) but came back to the stock bars due to better control standing up off-road
  • Yamaha fork brace installed since day 1 as well as the bash plate as I ride dirt road and explore a lot
I am here to help anyone with any issue, repair advise, etc. Hit me up. [email protected]
Nice to see something other than black or red... thinking about what you are saying about accessorising and realized what I have added is what I had on my other bikes, and slowly realising i prefer it naked, except for a screen which I find essential for anything above 45 mph... anyhoo Happy Riding!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never seen a blue one before.
I do the same mods to every bike, saddle bags so I can carry my lunch to work, different bars because I have bad shoulders and need them just right and a small windshield as its pretty cold half the time. I also have pegs and a drilled muffler but could do without those honestly.

I dont know if I'd call the scr the best bike but its pretty good for day rides and the odd smooth dirt road, which is exactly what I need.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hey guys,

A couple of details:
  • Tires: Mitas E-08 (the best deal for the money). Better than the OEM Trail Wings in eliminating the front end wobble and better grip on tarmac. I ran the TW101 front down to the edge but here I have 1-2 mm strip left which makes me feel better. Dunlop TrailMax was great off road but the massive torque of the v-twin just eats it up extremely fast on tarmac
Reminds me of the 74 DT175.
Sorry. There I go again with my 2-stroke fetish.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Automotive lighting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts