Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been designing a stainless steel midpipe that allows you to run any muffler designed for 1 3/4" pipes. (Hundreds of options on eBay, most well under $100). I've purchased all the tooling necessary, from hydraulic pipe swaggers to special hole saws and a setup for welding stainless steel. Even down to the buffing wheels. I'm building a few more prototypes in the next couple weeks, and will then be setting pricing and taking orders.

The midpipe is 1 3/4" outer diameter, with a swagged end to fit over the OEM header (without the OEM exhaust gasket). The midpipe will clamp on the header via a stainless allen bolt. Midpipe has a bung for the OEM O2 sensor, so this is 100% plug and play. The bend is 22.5 degrees. (Stock is roughly 13 degrees)

I'm debating a price between $75 and $85 for the midpipe in a brushed finish. I'm also thinking of offering a mirror polished version for an extra $20.

What kind of interest is there for this product? How many would buy this, and at what price?

I've attached a pic of my personal bike with the first prototype, and with a SuperTrapp Elite muffler mounted to the midpipe.

Charles.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
In surprised to not see a lot of responses, but I'll play. I'd vote for the brushed finish as it's more consistent with other finishes on the bike.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I kinda stalled on this from lack of interest, but I'll go ahead and make some more prototypes.

Charles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I had tried to send you a message but not sure if it went thru. I am new member and am quite interested in getting one of your midpipes you describe here. please give me a shout back......nick

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, after a bunch of personal stuff, I'm finally back in a place where I can work on this project. I've spent quite a bit of money on tools, and quite a bit of time building jigs. I've built two more prototypes and I'm confident I can make these in abundance. I'm re-working a jig I made and will be ordering raw materials to make a run of 20 of these mid pipes. I'm shooting for an early december release.

I'm also working on a muffler hanger which will be available at the same time.

Charles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a Supertrapp Stainless S/C Elite Muffler with a 1 3/4" inlet. Part number 443-1717. Here is a current eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293277771458 (not mine)

I did add more plates to the muffler, though. I'm running 20 right now, which is the limit with the length of screws that come with the muffler.

Charles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a couple of prototypes made, but I never did work out a suitable mounting bracket for a muffler. I lost interest in this project because I really don't like my SCR anymore. It's beautiful, but the suspension injures my (already messed up) back every other ride, and the helmet buffetting is really annoying. I think I'm going to sell it soon, I've put 8000 miles on it in four years, and while I had a blast making mods to it, the shine wore off of actually riding the thing. Long trips turn me into a cripple. The seat, vibration, buffetting, and suspension are too much to bear.

In comparison, I bought a 250 Buccaneer cafe racer and put 10k miles on it in 14 months. When it came time to go for a ride, I always chose the cheap little chinese bike because it had actual workable suspension and was comfortable to ride. Hëll, the last time I had a 400 mile trip, I took the 250 instead of the Yamaha. Even though it was flat out on the highway, I ended up far less fatigued when I reached my destination.

So... I might sell one of the prototypes, but you'll have to come up with your own mounting system for a muffler.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's an interesting assessment Charles. I can relate to all of your viewpoints and I now have just over 7k on my SCR. I don't have plans to ever sell it, but I am going to cut back considerably on my road time and simply keep it due to its likeness of all my old Yamaha Enduros that I collect and refurbish.

Good luck and I hope you get a fair price!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts