Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week of "should I or shouldn't I",I finally decided to order the Seat Concepts seat kit. The deciding factor was an email SC sent me while the kit sat in my cart saying " that stock seat feels like a 2x4 wrapped in toilet paper" lol. And it did! So I bit the bullet and ordered the seat for $356 CAD all in. What a game changer. I no longer slide into the tank when stopping, which leads to knee bang off the air intake. It is remarkably more comfortable, allowing much longer rides.
I was nervous about the fact that i had to rip off my old seat and upholster this one myself but it was honestly a simple 15 minute job that is very forgiving. This seat changes everything about my Scr950 riding experience and is a dramatic improvement. Plus it adds to the retro styling! The Seat Concepts seat is something all of you stock seat people should be considering!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more.
Here is another change you won't regret.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I somehow never managed to hit my shins with the SCR setup. I wanted to put pics with injured shins as "proof" I bought the bike, but never hit my shins.
Now that I swapped out to a bolt rear fender and seat, I have hit my shins, caught my shoe laces and overall mangled myself on those footpegs.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I somehow never managed to hit my shins with the SCR setup. I wanted to put pics with injured shins as "proof" I bought the bike, but never hit my shins.
Now that I swapped out to a bolt rear fender and seat, I have hit my shins, caught my shoe laces and overall mangled myself on those footpegs.
A little off center to be a shin injury in is one example, the original pegs drew blood through my jeans more than once. Since I changed the pegs out for the ADV style like are on my 12' Super Tenere, I haven't had a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it really is a game changer. Makes rides so much more comfortable!
Ok, so today was my first ride of few hundred miles and the Seat Concepts seat isn't as comfortable as I thought. Butt then I'm not as young as most of you. Butt we rode three stints of 90-100 miles with a little walk around and stretch your legs between each stint. My butt wasn't having it.
Got caught in a downpour while riding through farmlands. We saw a farm house with an open barn door so we rolled up the drive and into the open barn. I saw a women looking at us through the house window so I gave her a wave, shrugged my shoulders with the universal palms up gesture. She just waved back and went about her business. I figured in farm country we'd either get a friendly wave or a warning shot! We waited out the rain and headed off down the rain puddled roads. There's a reason why Mr Yamaha put that dorkey black plastic extension on the rear fender..... The one that is sitting on a shelf in my garage next to my backpack that looks like I dragged it home.
All in good fun.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok, so today was my first ride of few hundred miles and the Seat Concepts seat isn't as comfortable as I thought.
Age is irrelevant almost. I am going to be 50 in 5 months and I pride myself on being able to run anything out of fuel before I run myself out of butt. Except even 125 mi on the scr is undoable for me. First bike in my life that did that. Any seat mods is just trimming around the edges. I'd express it in miles - Like a GS500 is 150 mi with the stock seat, 170 with the corbin and 180 with a Gel. Just about what you will need to stop for fuel. My SV1000 was about the same level of comfort with the gel, never had a stock one on it. All other bikes I have had were more comfortable, MZ, seca, katana, GSXR1100 etc etc all better.
Then the SCR - I sat on it at the local dealer and in 3 sec said, OK I know why this had to be clearanced. How did Yamaha take a Competetion like this -

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/bolt-custom-build-winner-chosen

And pick the best of the bunch and still drop that seat on it. Seriously, I can make a better seat with an old plastic skateboard … or even a 2X4. Coming to think of it, I might in a few months. That rear hoop and fender are insanely heavy and puts that poundage in the worst possible location - far away and high. A skateboard with plastic plates hanging off it like the number plates they tried to emulate would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ok, so today was my first ride of few hundred miles and the Seat Concepts seat isn't as comfortable as I thought. Butt then I'm not as young as most of you. Butt we rode three stints of 90-100 miles with a little walk around and stretch your legs between each stint. My butt wasn't having it.
I agree that the Seat Concepts seat isn't a magic bullet for making you feel like you're riding on a cloud, but it does make a massive difference for me. Instead of wanting to jump off the bike and say "f*** it!" after 45 min I can go almost two hours without needing to take a break. It's not perfect and I'm still a little soar after a long day-trip but if I wanted to ride just to do some Iron Butt challenges I would chosen a different moto or remained a devout cager in the first place.

·
Registered
229 Posts
45 to 2 hrs ?

I agree that the Seat Concepts seat isn't a magic bullet for making you feel like you're riding on a cloud, but it does make a massive difference for me. Instead of wanting to jump off the bike and say "f*** it!" after 45 min I can go almost two hours without needing to take a break. It's not perfect and I'm still a little soar after a long day-trip but if I wanted to ride just to do some Iron Butt challenges I would chosen a different moto or remained a devout cager in the first place.
I'd say the original is about a 60 min seat. Any mod would likely turn it to a 75 min seat at best.
For that narrow a seat to be comfortable I'd almost say the seat would have to be concave. The stock is very convex. The corbin appears - well less convex. The seat concepts is same as stock, just stickier and more sliding resistance compared to the stock I guess.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The seat concepts is same as stock, just stickier and more sliding resistance compared to the stock I guess.
Wrong.
Completely different foam density and shape. The only thing the same is the bottom profile that contacts the seat pan.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The seat concepts is same as stock, just stickier and more sliding resistance compared to the stock I guess.
Wrong.
Completely different foam density and shape. The only thing the same is the bottom profile that contacts the seat pan.
Wrong.
I concur. The Seat Concepts is a HUGE improvement over the stock. Does my butt still hurt after a 200 mile ride? Yes, but not nearly as much as the sticker! jevers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of the best changes that I noticed in the new Seat Concepts seat is that I no longer slide into the gas tank when i hit the brakes. Even when riding, I noticed the "slope into tank" design of the stock seat which inevitably led to me banging my knee off the air box. With a more level angle, this is mostly eliminated by the SC seat.

·
Registered
884 Posts
One of the best changes that I noticed in the new Seat Concepts seat is that I no longer slide into the gas tank when i hit the brakes. Even when riding, I noticed the "slope into tank" design of the stock seat which inevitably led to me banging my knee off the air box. With a more level angle, this is mostly eliminated by the SC seat.
I had a similar experience with my former FZ-9, only the seat sloped more and it had a grippy texture. Any motion to slide forward painfully pulled my jeans against body parts that don't like being crushed. a Seat Concepts cover kit then saved me. So, I was eager to get their SCR950 seat, too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts