Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tool kit lives inside a box behind a panel held on with a Phillips head bolt. To remove the bolt, you need a screwdriver. The screwdriver's in the tool box, though.
What nitwit thought that was a good idea?

I have taken my bike's left side panel off several times while tinkering with the seat I made and during the brake light flasher installation. The panel bolt is "okay" looking, but it won't be long before the head rounds-out or worse, comes loose while riding and I lose the $$$ side panel.

The first solution that came to mind was a quick release fastener of some sort. Dzus-style 1/4 turn fasteners can be had in a variety of sizes, so I measured/guessed a 0.70" reach one would do.
An order was placed with Speedway Motors of Lincoln, NE on Monday. I had the parts here in GA in just under 48 hours via regular 1st class mail. That's FAST!

The side panels themselves required no permanent modifications. The rubber grommets for the existing bolts are the perfect size once the spacer's were removed. The right side panel mount required the removal of a clip-type blind nut and the drilling of two small holes for the rivets that hold the spring in place.

The left side was a pain. The mount isn't big enough to install the spring. So, I cobbled together a small bracket and brazed it to the existing mount. I had to remove the welded-on factory nut and drill out the hole to accommodate the new hardware. WHY they didn't put a clip-type blind on both sides, I don't know! Grrrrr

Anyhow, it turned out beautifully until I realized I'd brazed the plate on the wrong side........after I painted stuff, of course. (The photos are of the part before I realized the error. ) A do-over was in order and added time and frustration to the project.
Once completed, both panels are now securely in place and can be removed with an ordinary coin such as a quarter. The rubber grommets in the panels grip the fastener slightly, aiding in both retention once you remove the panel and a bit of resistance to them working loose, however unlikely.
Total cost? I got ten pairs of fasteners and springs for $20.97 shipped. I broke two springs putting things together wrong. That leaves me with six leftover sets to use on other projects. =)

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone's curious, the panel mounts are relatively inexpensive (<$15 each?).
Putting it all back as original would be easy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lol, I'm not as handy as you so some of the things you said went over my head. But your Diy threads are always a joy to read. Keep up the great work and I hope the mod bug keeps biting. :grin2:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, I'm not as handy as you so some of the things you said went over my head. But your Diy threads are always a joy to read. Keep up the great work and I hope the mod bug keeps biting. :grin2:
Thanks!
Idle hands, etc...
I work 13.5-14 hours in a data center three nights a week. So, I have a lot of free time and need to do something(anything!) other than look at computer screens.
=)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed the stock screws on the side panels to stainless pan head screw that use a hex wrench. You can carry the hex wrench in your wallet do to its size. Cost was 3.57 us

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the stock screws on the side panels to stainless pan head screw that use a hex wrench. You can carry the hex wrench in your wallet do to its size. Cost was 3.57 us
Good job, Rasor!!

Me? I'm a 51 year old klutz that changed out stainless hex bolts on the SCR's skid pan for regular head titanium ones because if anyone could round out a hex head bolt, it's me. The dzus solution was simply a "therapy project" with a mission. LOL

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I replied, it occurred to me that Yamaha used both of our solutions on the Super Tenere. To get at that tool kit and battery, you:
1.) remove the main seat with the ignition key.
2.) locate and remove the hex wrench attached to the bottom of the seat
3.) use the hex wrench to undo the 1/4 turn fasteners holding the right side fairing panel in place.

Of course, the hex wrench rusts if you don't keep it protected with something, but the slightly convoluted setup works!
:grin2:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd assumed all bikes come with at least one wrench, Yamaha just didn't want anyone to find the scr950's wrench. :grin2:
The tool box is kind of clever. I may see if I can replace the standard tools made of cheese with more substantial ones.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What tools do you use? Currently own a Mastercraft set, but their socket wrench is horrible and I don't have high hopes for everything else in there.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What tools do you use? Currently own a Mastercraft set, but their socket wrench is horrible and I don't have high hopes for everything else in there.
I have a mix of mostly Matco and Craftsman.
My girlfriend gave me a set of JIS screwdrivers two years ago. They are the bees knees for Japanese bikes with cross-head/cross-recess screws. A regular "Phillips" screwdriver doesn't fit properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts