Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Sticky road tires

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SCRBen 
#1 ·
Tried looking through previous posts but got a little confusing!!
Not bothered about scrambler appearance or good mileage.

And go !!!

#2 ·
There's lots to pick from. The scr takes the same size tires as a lot of big adventure bikes.
I have metzler tourance next on mine, its a 90-95% street tire, I cant go fast enough to make them slip out. I got a battle wing 502 that was on clearance sale to replace the rear when its done.
If you go with a 160 rear you can get sport bike or cruiser tires and they fit fine.

#3 ·
I recently put on a pair of Michelin Anakees which says it's an adventure tire, but I bought them because they act as a better road tire than my last knobby Shinko Big Blocks. They're supposed to be a 80/20 tire, but I really don't think they would do well in mud / sand. So far they've been incredible on the road as far as grip. I just did about 300 miles in the rain and they performed splendidly in the wet too. I would definitely recommend them for the road as they are a good road tire that still gives you the option to hit the forest service roads and packed dirt / gravel roads.

#4 ·
I put Continental Trail Attack 3's on my bike in the stock size (140/70/17 rear 100/90/19 front) and have gotten about 4,000 solid miles out of them. Night and day from the OEM tire, with excellent turn-in, consistent road engagement, and super sticky when they get up to temp. With that said, my "hooligan" (my tires do not have chicken strips) riding style has led to them no longer performing the way I want them to prematurely. I am currently looking at the Avon Cobra Chrome (going up to 150 rear and 110 front) or the Pirelli Angel GT II.

#5 ·
I stopped reading at "super sticky" and called my dealership to fit my bike with them! Im a bit of a hooligan myself, and I was concerned the OEM tires on the bike would perform shitty. A quick backgrounder, I just bought the bike used, with the original tires still on the bike, and it is currently stored at the dealership until Spring. I am a bit concerned about premature wear, but I just had to get the stickiest tires for this bike (that I could read a review of, anyway). And 4000 miles ain't that bad lol

Did you end up going a bigger size at the back? I personally am wary of that; I've heard that one does not get maximum contact with oversized tires, although I have never tried myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.